Breaking Bad highly Overrated

GHook93

Aristotle
Apr 22, 2007
Chicago
My brother and my best friend have told me for a while that this is the best show of all time. I finally started to watch it. Is it good? Yes, but not great. I found Walter White and Jesse as unlikeable characters. White was more or less and asshole and Jesse was the stooge that always gets White into trouble despite the fact they have it made.

Don’t me wrong I like the show, but it is over hyped in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using USMessageBoard.com

My brother and my best friend have told me for a while that this is the best show of all time. I finally started to watch it. Is it good? Yes, but not great. I found Walter White and Jesse as unlikeable characters. White was more or less and asshole and Jesse was the stooge that always gets White into trouble despite the fact they have it made.

I felt the same way. I only watched the first 2 seasons, never got around to watching more. I probably will eventually, but it just didn't draw me in that much.

I felt the same way. I only watched the first 2 seasons, never got around to watching more. I probably will eventually, but it just didn't draw me in that much.

The way so many people go one about this show I was expecting something better.

What made it extra special for me is that it was the first show since Seinfeld that I took interest in and watched. Only other one since has been Better Call Saul.

Here. Watch this. I dare ya. LaMont was the epitome of cool...he's a preacher man now.If you just need a good laugh 12:50. Laughing heals
Also gotta love the way they portray the cop as a complete imbecile....because they were. Now they're all steroided up Nazi control freaks

Last edited:
Not the best TV series of all time by a looong shot. But good.
The best thing about it is they ended it. Before they turned it into a meaningless shadow of what it once was..... (The Walking dead)

Not the best TV series of all time by a looong shot. But good.
The best thing about it is they ended it. Before they turned it into a meaningless shadow of what it once was..... (The Walking dead)

Very true on that end. I personally think the 5 season was the best.

However, it did have the same cycle over and over. Walt finds some level of success and stability, the ever over-emotional (funny he call everyone a bitch when he was the biggest winny bitch) Jesse self-destructs, Walt steps in to save him and gets in trouble, Jesse then backstabs Walt and then they reconcile. Season over to start it all over again.

I agree with the Walking Dead it is just awful now. They had good charismatic villains up until now, but Negan sucks on all levels.

I think there is a difference in opinion based on whether you watched the show as it aired weekly as opposed to those who "binge watched" the series after the fact. Because I've seen this sentiment expressed by many who caught it later while those of us who watched as it aired seem to feel it was one of the best television series of all time.

I think the writing and production were what impressed me most. It just seemed to be so much better than anything that was on television at the time. Now, since then, we have Walking Dead and other shows which have stepped up the game, so BB isn't all that impressive.

When I first heard about BB, I actually thought it was going to be a movie. And I thought it might be a pretty good plot for a movie... then I found out it was to be a series and I remember thinking... I don't know about that... I didn't think the plot had the depth to be a weekly series. I went in skeptically thinking I wasn't going to like it and I was pleasantly surprised. So maybe expectations have something to do with it as well. I still think it's one of the best television series of all time.

Breaking Bad was nothing short of extraordinary. You guys whining that the main characters are "unlikeable" are missing the point. They're not supposed to be "likable." This is a dark, dark series. Very uncomfortable. Some music is "difficult listening," this show was "difficult viewing." It's not a happy feel good show at all. It's about exploring a very dark part of the human psyche that is rarely explored. The writing on this show was on another level. The cinematography was spectacular, the acting was done to perfection, it was as if they set out to make every episode the best movie ever made...and they did that every damn time. They set the bar so fucking high that not even the shows creator has been able to top it with Better Call Saul, which is incredibly boring. I binge watched this show like a crack fiend. I think they wanted the show itself to be very drug-like. Most addictive series I've ever seen. But, you do have to appreciate darker stuff I think in order to like it. Otherwise, you're better off watching your Howdy Doody reruns.

Breaking Bad was nothing short of extraordinary. You guys whining that the main characters are "unlikeable" are missing the point. They're not supposed to be "likable." This is a dark, dark series. Very uncomfortable. Some music is "difficult listening," this show was "difficult viewing." It's not a happy feel good show at all. It's about exploring a very dark part of the human psyche that is rarely explored. The writing on this show was on another level. The cinematography was spectacular, the acting was done to perfection, it was as if they set out to make every episode the best movie ever made...and they did that every damn time. They set the bar so fucking high that not even the shows creator has been able to top it with Better Call Saul, which is incredibly boring. I binge watched this show like a crack fiend. I think they wanted the show itself to be very drug-like. Most addictive series I've ever seen. But, you do have to appreciate darker stuff I think in order to like it. Otherwise, you're better off watching your Howdy Doody reruns.

Not the light or dark tone argument. :mad:

I hear this a lot in regards to comic book movies. Tone is not enough to make me like or dislike something. I don't have any problem with a dark, gritty tone. That was never an issue with Breaking Bad. The show, for the 2 seasons I watched, just wasn't exceptional. It was by no means a bad show, but I was never really drawn into it. I didn't find myself caring what happened enough to keep going.

I've enjoyed shows with a light tone, and shows with a dark tone, and shows with a mix. That had no significant impact on me not enjoying Breaking Bad all that much.

I hear this a lot in regards to comic book movies. Tone is not enough to make me like or dislike something. I don't have any problem with a dark, gritty tone. That was never an issue with Breaking Bad. The show, for the 2 seasons I watched, just wasn't exceptional. It was by no means a bad show, but I was never really drawn into it. I didn't find myself caring what happened enough to keep going.

I've enjoyed shows with a light tone, and shows with a dark tone, and shows with a mix. That had no significant impact on me not enjoying Breaking Bad all that much.

Oh, you stopped early. After the 2nd season it just gets insane. Absolutely unreal. Keep going...

Oh, you stopped early. After the 2nd season it just gets insane. Absolutely unreal. Keep going...

I may get to it eventually, but there are so many shows I watch, and want to watch, I'm just not sure. :p

I am not sure I agree that a show changes on substance based on watching it over time and binge viewing. Even in dark shows I think the characters have to be likable. Take Dexter. That was a dark show, but Dexter and his wife
and later GF were very likeable. I thought Jesse was one of the most unlikeable characters out there. Walt was a little more likeable, but not to the level a main character usually is. I loved Mike, he was awesome and Hank was great also. And Saul was great.

Better call Saul is pretty good. It is slow and as you said boring, but I think it will be great when Jimmy becomes Saul. I think it will eclipse BB.

FYI: Walking Dead sucks now. It has sucked for since season 4.

I enjoyed Breaking Bad until the final two episodes, which devolved into silly nonsense. Up to that point the series consisted of one imaginative but credibly possible episode after another. But the way it ended was fantastic nonsense.

I enjoyed Breaking Bad until the final two episodes, which devolved into silly nonsense. Up to that point the series consisted of one imaginative but credibly possible episode after another. But the way it ended was fantastic nonsense.

I agree didn’t like the end series of events. I never understood why he ran at that point and what evidence they had considered him busted?

Hank knew he was a meth maker, but needed the money to show proof of wrong doing. Hank and his partner were killed. The police didn’t know who by, when, where their bodies were and couldn’t implicate Walt. Walt had $10 mil he could have still hid and the Feds had nothing on him to which they could have frozen his assets or taken his car wash. Heck even with him running there still was nothing. No witnesses, no money trail (the money was laundered), not Hank’s body! Nothing. All they had was Marie’s call from Hank that he was after Walt. Wouldn’t even get him arrested.

Heck even if he got arrested he could have made a deal for Skinheads who killed Hank. He knew where there meth lab was and they had kidnapped a slave.

I thought it was a great show. To this day I have stopped using that Stevia crap in my coffee because of BB.

Forum List

Back