BREAKING: 3 Pittsburgh Police Officers shot to death

How about some of you talk about the poor cops and their families and not about the poor gun laws and tax day tea parties.

Last edited:
How about some of you talk about the poor cops and their families and not about the poor gun laws and tax day tea parties.

OK. Fair enough. What can we do to support the families?

And yet another one ...

Another what?

Another jackass jumping in to politicize this.

You're always great with the insults. I'm sure you're great at making friends. But it says in the story that the shooter "feared the Obama administration was poised to ban guns." And Obama's stance on gun control is no secret (Gun Control: 2008 contenders' views).

I'm not going to insult you back. Next time, read the story before insulting.

If we comment that the type of gun that was used is only good for one thing, killing other human beings, then we are politisizing it. If we note that the fruit cake that committed this particular crime was afraid that someone would take his guns away, the we politisize it.

You damned blind fools are creating the very situation that you claim not to want.

If we comment that the type of gun that was used is only good for one thing, killing other human beings, then we are politisizing it. If we note that the fruit cake that committed this particular crime was afraid that someone would take his guns away, the we politisize it.

You damned blind fools are creating the very situation that you claim not to want.

Yes, you are politicizing it by making those comments, asshole.

Five deadly shootings in less than a month. And I am a gun owner. But to me they are just another tool.

Your defense of any lunatics right to own major firepower will eventually cause a backlash that infringes on my right to own the guns I have.

Every time this kind of thing happens, the first thing you decry is not the person that killed, but the people that question what this fellow was doing owning a gun in the first place. So what is going to happen, if we cannot keep the guns out of the hands of killers, then the majority of citizens will decide that the guns themselves have to be controlled. And you freakin' gun nults are setting this up. You are part of the problem. And you threaton my right to own my hunting tools.

You don't fucking give up, do you asshole? Just keep on politicizing it, fuckhead.
Brilliant commentary, Elvis. You should write a book.

Five deadly shootings in less than a month. And I am a gun owner. But to me they are just another tool.

Your defense of any lunatics right to own major firepower will eventually cause a backlash that infringes on my right to own the guns I have.

Every time this kind of thing happens, the first thing you decry is not the person that killed, but the people that question what this fellow was doing owning a gun in the first place. So what is going to happen, if we cannot keep the guns out of the hands of killers, then the majority of citizens will decide that the guns themselves have to be controlled. And you freakin' gun nults are setting this up. You are part of the problem. And you threaton my right to own my hunting tools.

You don't fucking give up, do you asshole? Just keep on politicizing it, fuckhead.

Nope. What I should do is try to find out the best way to help the families of the victims.

The police officers and detectives and DA's are investigating the crime and must also be politcizing the crime. They are compiling detailed data on the weapons and tracing their sources, and putting out all those markers for casings and rounds and taking loads of pictures.

When the police release details about the crime, the makes and models and type of ammuniotion and have the FBI in to recreate the crime,
that information is not an assault on anyone's 2nd Amendment rights.

Why are you being super sensitive and hyper defensive ? Chill out. You can't change anything in this tragedy.
The facts will come out, even if you don't want them to.
What happened, happened. Let the professionals do their jobs.

The police officers and detectives and DA's are investigating the crime and must also be politcizing the crime. They are compiling detailed data on the weapons and tracing their sources, and putting out all those markers for casings and rounds and taking loads of pictures.

When the police release details about the crime, the makes and models and type of ammuniotion and have the FBI in to recreate the crime,
that information is not an assault on anyone's 2nd Amendment rights.

Why are you being super sensitive and hyper defensive ? Chill out. You can't change anything in this tragedy.
The facts will come out, even if you don't want them to.
What happened, happened. Let the professionals do their jobs.

imo, gathering evidence is neutral. saying "this is why we need more gun laws," is politicizing it.

Nope. What I should do is try to find out the best way to help the families of the victims.
I agree. I am with you on that. There are many heartbroken, angry, confused people in western PA right now, and they need whatever comfort people can give. We can't change what happened. Nobody can. It is terrible, senseless, and happened so fast.
You can leave condolences at the Pittsburgh Post Gazette, if you wish, or with your local newspaper or police department. Local police will send reps. to the funeral, as they did to Oakland and
whenever police die in the line of duty.

Post-Gazette NOW

One friend, Edward Perkovic, said the gunman feared "the Obama gun ban that's on the way" and "didn't like our rights being infringed upon." Another longtime friend, Aaron Vire, said the gunman feared that President Barack Obama was going to take away his rights, though he said he "wasn't violently against Obama."
I wonder where he got this idea. The right wing talking heads, Beck, Malkin, et al, are stirring the nuts up. Do they sleep well at night?

What a waste of life.

And all the people here talking 'revolution' when what they really mean is a chance to do harm to their fellow citizens that are not wingnuts.

Sure it pisses me off when idiots act like this. That doesn't excuse a different kind of idiot from talking out his ass.
Are there any people on USMB who are knowledgeable or experienced in law enforcement ?

Yeah. We have a retired Australian cop and a retired New Zealand cop on the board. :lol:

I'm not retired - (I think that's me up there) yet - but I've slowed down, I admit that :eusa_eh:

The tragedy needs no underlining, it speaks for itself and there's nothing I can usefully add. That might seem a bit obvious and this post might seem to be redundant. But while I'm happy to discuss firearms control laws in the abstract or as they apply in my jurisdiction I continue to feel reluctant to tell Americans what they should be doing with their laws. And to my usual discussion opponents on this issue - let's not turn it into a shitfight.

I have some questions about some associated issues but I don't want to pollute the thread.

And all the people here talking 'revolution' when what they really mean is a chance to do harm to their fellow citizens that are not wingnuts.

Fuck off asshole. You don't know what the fuck you're talking about.

A very Disturbed young man. He sounds like he was rudderless, without direction, and was lost.
He was open to all kinds of wild suggestions and notions, and was unprepared or unable to filter out the lunatic B-S or do his own objective evaluation anymore. He apparently allowed himself to be essentially, brainwashed. He believed what he was told, rejected all to the contrary, and saw no other 'truth' except the one set of argument. Inflexible Absolutism. Intellectual encapsuled, mixed with a healthy dash of Paranoia about 'them'.

Where would he get the idea to put on a vest, load his weapons and deliberately ambush, gun down at poinbt blank range to the head with an AK-47 2 unsuspecting uniformed police officers who were called (by whom ?) to his door ?
And what would drive him to continue - to shoot and kill the next cop who tried to render assitance to the fallen cops at his doorstep ?
And then engage in a long gun battle with police and SWAT ?
How could the thoughts of taking that action take seed and grow in the mind of a young American male ?

This isn't policitizing this tragedy, I am analyzing it, from the perspective of my experiences brainwashed cult members. In the 1980s, I assisted in doing interventions (rescuing, kidnapping from captivity) and then helped in the psychological Deprogramming of 4 people who were Unification Church cult members.

What makes a person toss away their innate discretion and civility and belief in what they learned form the crib - (Police officers are friends and allies to honest citizens. It is wrong to kill another person) What would cause this man to do something terrible, that he would normally not have done ? What are the seeds of this, what are the triggers ?
How do we see the signs ? How do we identify and help weak, lost, susceptible people from falling for the allure and into comraderie of those well versed in manipulation ?

I am sure I am reading this correctly, He was brainwashed.
And I am sure that the Pittsbugh police will likely follow this path in their interrogation and investigation. They will seek to specifically identify those influences that set seed and and then triggered this attack.
They will piece it together like a puzzle, and they will act upon the sources of weapons and other names they fit into that puzzle.
Mark my words. The public will demand it, and the police and DA will take aggressive action on this.
That is not political. That is the stone cold truth.
Cops from all the USA will join this Posse.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09095/960750-53.stm
Suspect in officers' shooting was into conspiracy theories
Sunday, April 05, 2009
By Dennis B. Roddy, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
MySpace
Richard Poplawski's photo from mySpace.

Richard Andrew Poplawski was a young man convinced the nation was secretly controlled by a cabal that would eradicate freedom of speech, take away his guns and use the military to enslave the citizenry.

His online profile suggests someone at once lonely and seething. He wrote of burning the backs of both of his hands, the first time with a cigarette, the second time for symmetry. He subscribed to conspiracy theories and, by January 2007, was posting photographs of his tattoos on white supremacist Web site Stormfront. Among his ambitions: "to accumulate enough 'I punched that [expletive] so hard' stories to match my old man."

Forum List

Back