Breakfast With The President

NATO AIR

Jun 25, 2004
USS Abraham Lincoln
I like this, this was a great read for the beginning of my long duty day :teeth:

http://www.nationalreview.com/comment/rosenberg200502041347.asp

Breakfast with the President
A fitting follow-up to State of the Union night.

By Joel C. Rosenberg

On Thursday morning, my wife and I had the honor of attending the 53rd Annual National Prayer Breakfast in Washington, D.C., where President Bush and the First Lady were the special guests. And, at the risk of sounding trite: It was one of the most moving events we have ever been to in 15 years of Beltway living.

In part this was because the breakfast came on the heels of the most powerful State of the Union address in years, from the president's defense of marriage and commitment to investment-based Social Security reform, to his vision of democracy in the Middle East, to that heart-wrenching hug between two women who have sacrificed so much for the cause of freedom.

But it was more than that: In a city raging with bitter partisanship, Rep. Jo Ann Emerson (R., Mi.) talked about something few people outside of Washington know exists: the bipartisan House prayer group that meets every Thursday morning in the Capitol to eat breakfast, pray for one another, and pray for the president. Senator Norm Coleman (R., Minn.) and Senator Mark Pryor (D., Ark.) talked about their bipartisan group of "sinners of the Senate" that mirror the prayer meetings on the House side. "As a Jew," Coleman said, "I'm learning a lot of things about the accessibility and tangibility of [a relationship with] Jesus."

NATO AIR said:
I like this, this was a great read for the beginning of my long duty day :teeth:

Wow, just wow. A personal note that I think I wrote a bit about before. Last summer my brother and I took my dad to DC really to see the WWII Memorial. We were there just shy of a week. We were leaving on a Sunday. Thanks to Travelocity we stayed at the 'coolest' place in DC, the Hays-Adams, which is basically adjacent to Lafayette Park, (back of the White House). When we were getting ready to leave, the Secret Service had to stop us from moving out, with apology. It was all of 2 minutes. GW and Laura came out of SUV, waved to us, mouthed an "I'm sorry" and went into the small church across from the hotel.

There really was no 'hub hub'. They didn't stop traffic for more than 2 minutes. They apologized to those they thought might be inconvenienced. Mind you, we were thrilled! These are people that are NOT out to show their 'churchiness.'

Kathianne said:
Wow, just wow. A personal note that I think I wrote a bit about before. Last summer my brother and I took my dad to DC really to see the WWII Memorial. We were there just shy of a week. We were leaving on a Sunday. Thanks to Travelocity we stayed at the 'coolest' place in DC, the Hays-Adams, which is basically adjacent to Lafayette Park, (back of the White House). When we were getting ready to leave, the Secret Service had to stop us from moving out, with apology. It was all of 2 minutes. GW and Laura came out of SUV, waved to us, mouthed an "I'm sorry" and went into the small church across from the hotel.

There really was no 'hub hub'. They didn't stop traffic for more than 2 minutes. They apologized to those they thought might be inconvenienced. Mind you, we were thrilled! These are people that are NOT out to show their 'churchiness.'

How dare the leader of the free world show his faith!

Forum List

Back