Breaching Whale Out of Lahaina (Maui)

George Costanza

A Friendly Liberal
Mar 10, 2009
Los Angeles area.
My child bride and I recently returned from a two-week cruise to Hawaii to celebrate our wedding anniversary. One of the things we did was to go on a whale watching excursion out of Lahaina (Maui).

Using a Canon EOS 30-D, which was set for "rapid fire" exposures (hold the shutter button down and it takes photos at the rate of about 5 per second until you let it up), I was lucky enough to get the following shots of a Big Fella who decided to breach about 150 feet off the port side of our whale watching boat:

IMG_4872.jpg

IMG_4873.jpg

IMG_4874.jpg

IMG_4875.jpg

Notice, in the third shot from the top, you can see the whale's eye. I am told that whales breach for several reasons. Probably the main one is, they do it to look around and see where they are, usually relative to nearby land. Another reason is, they are playful.

The gal who narrated our excursion said she firmly believes that whales like to show off for the whale watching boats. She said one time, a mama whale surfaced right by the boat with her baby on top of her nose, as if to say: "Hey! Look at my baby!"

Last edited:

Forum List

Back