Brazil Has an Idea to Fix Rampant Gun Violence: More Guns

I traveled the world and let me tell you whereever there are guns there are murders and killings. I visited many countries and live in some who have hardly any guns, and they don't have the killings like Brazil and the USA...Americans became numb to killings, where in other countries a shooting is a national tragedy. RIP america.

You do realize that Brazil has strict gun control, and the murders still happen? Many states in the US have murder rates as low as any in the world. Those states also have guns. Why is that?

Mark
1. Guns are widely available in brazil.

Hmm. Who to believe, you or my link?

Mark

I traveled the world and let me tell you whereever there are guns there are murders and killings

I have similarly traveled the world and I can assure there are murderers and killings in places where guns aren't available.

Blaming guns for murder rates is like blaming easy access to condoms for teen pregnancy rates.

I traveled the world and let me tell you whereever there are guns there are murders and killings. I visited many countries and live in some who have hardly any guns, and they don't have the killings like Brazil and the USA...Americans became numb to killings, where in other countries a shooting is a national tragedy. RIP america.

You do realize that Brazil has strict gun control, and the murders still happen? Many states in the US have murder rates as low as any in the world. Those states also have guns. Why is that?

Mark

Mark
Me I know brazil more than your link :).

I traveled the world and let me tell you whereever there are guns there are murders and killings

I have similarly traveled the world and I can assure there are murderers and killings in places where guns aren't available.
Numbers please and let's compared to the US.
I loooove the US but this the most dangerous crime ridden country I've been to. Just check the local news.

Mark

Mark

Are guns widely available legally in Brazil?

Mark

Mark

Mark

Mark
They did few years ago and they still circulating by the millions now and the result thousands of deaths.

The left keeps assuring us that if they have a strict gun control program, that our guns deaths will plummet. Well, Brazil instituted strict gun control laws, and it didn't stop the criminals.

Why is it so hard for leftists to understand reality?

If this experiment in Brazil works, it should finally show the anti gunners that their stance is stupid and illogical, but I have the great faith in their ignorance that it won't.

An armed private guard waited in front of the Sun Ray lottery in Mata de São João for a colleague to leave with the day’s income.

SÃO PAULO—Like millions of victims of rampant gun crime in Brazil, Claudio Sotero Júnior is clear about what he wants: his own gun.

His store near São Paulo selling bodybuilding supplements has been robbed at gunpoint six times since he opened it in 2006. Three years ago, the 41-year-old had to give up teaching kickboxing classes to pick up his wife from work every day after gunmen robbed and sexually assaulted her at a bus stop.

If it weren’t for Brazil’s strict firearms legislation, he said, he’d buy a Glock pistol to keep at work, and guns for his wife, sister and parents to defend themselves in what has become the world’s most murderous country.

Brazil racked up nearly 64,000 homicides in 2017, the highest overall number in the world. Over 70% of those were committed with firearms, widely available to criminals on the black market. Here in São Paulo, a megalopolis of 12 million people, over a quarter of residents say they have been held up at gunpoint at some moment in their lives, according to a study this year by the city’s business school Insper.

“It’s not fair, we’ve become hostages in our own country,” said Mr. Sotero Júnior. “We can’t take it anymore.”

Now, Brazil is set to embark on an experiment that will determine what happens when you loosen gun restrictions in a country battling an overpowering wave of gun crime.

President-elect Jair Bolsonaro, who takes office Tuesday, adopted a signature finger-gun salute during his campaign. The ex-army captain has promised a dramatic reversal of the country’s 15-year-old gun legislation to make it easier for citizens to obtain firearms.

“All the hoodlums already have guns, it’s only the good guys who don’t!” Mr. Bolsonaro said in a radio interview earlier this year. He said Saturday that he plans to issue a decree allowing all Brazilians without criminal records to own firearms.

Supporters of the measure say arming law-abiding citizens might cause Brazil’s criminals to think twice about carrying out a crime like a carjacking or home break-in. Violence experts say simply adding more guns to the mix without tackling the root causes of crime will only make the murder rate climb faster.

Crime has soared as Brazil’s police forces, starved of resources during the country’s 2014-16 recession and plagued by corruption, have been fighting a losing war against some of the world’s most powerful drug gangs. Critics have also blamed the government for the lack of a national public security plan, calling for more investment in investigative policing and community policing.

Under a 2003 law, Brazilian civilian gun owners must be at least 25 years old, provide proof of a steady job and have no criminal history, among other requirements. The biggest stumbling block, critics complain, is that federal police have the final say over whether applicants really need a gun. Police frequently decide they don’t.

Mark
...Germany, France, UK, and Japan have strict gun control and murder rates many times lower than the US--these are the countries more comparable to the US than Brazil is

Why do some US states with many guns have murder rates that rival those of the safest nations? Could it be because its not the guns?

Mark
...Chicago, NYCity, and LA strict gun control and very dense -HIGH populations have much lower murder rate than very pro-gun STL Missouri
...STL named murder capital of the US and in top ten most dangerous cities--sometimes # 1

Mark

Mark

Mark
They did few years ago and they still circulating by the millions now and the result thousands of deaths.

So basically there are laws against gun ownership, but the criminals are breaking the laws and keeping them? Don't you now understand that laws restricting guns aren't effective?

Mark

The left keeps assuring us that if they have a strict gun control program, that our guns deaths will plummet. Well, Brazil instituted strict gun control laws, and it didn't stop the criminals.

If this experiment in Brazil works, it should finally show the anti gunners that their stance is stupid and illogical, but I have the great faith in their ignorance that it won't.

An armed private guard waited in front of the Sun Ray lottery in Mata de São João for a colleague to leave with the day’s income.

SÃO PAULO—Like millions of victims of rampant gun crime in Brazil, Claudio Sotero Júnior is clear about what he wants: his own gun.

His store near São Paulo selling bodybuilding supplements has been robbed at gunpoint six times since he opened it in 2006. Three years ago, the 41-year-old had to give up teaching kickboxing classes to pick up his wife from work every day after gunmen robbed and sexually assaulted her at a bus stop.

If it weren’t for Brazil’s strict firearms legislation, he said, he’d buy a Glock pistol to keep at work, and guns for his wife, sister and parents to defend themselves in what has become the world’s most murderous country.

Brazil racked up nearly 64,000 homicides in 2017, the highest overall number in the world. Over 70% of those were committed with firearms, widely available to criminals on the black market. Here in São Paulo, a megalopolis of 12 million people, over a quarter of residents say they have been held up at gunpoint at some moment in their lives, according to a study this year by the city’s business school Insper.

“It’s not fair, we’ve become hostages in our own country,” said Mr. Sotero Júnior. “We can’t take it anymore.”

Now, Brazil is set to embark on an experiment that will determine what happens when you loosen gun restrictions in a country battling an overpowering wave of gun crime.

President-elect Jair Bolsonaro, who takes office Tuesday, adopted a signature finger-gun salute during his campaign. The ex-army captain has promised a dramatic reversal of the country’s 15-year-old gun legislation to make it easier for citizens to obtain firearms.

“All the hoodlums already have guns, it’s only the good guys who don’t!” Mr. Bolsonaro said in a radio interview earlier this year. He said Saturday that he plans to issue a decree allowing all Brazilians without criminal records to own firearms.

Supporters of the measure say arming law-abiding citizens might cause Brazil’s criminals to think twice about carrying out a crime like a carjacking or home break-in. Violence experts say simply adding more guns to the mix without tackling the root causes of crime will only make the murder rate climb faster.

Crime has soared as Brazil’s police forces, starved of resources during the country’s 2014-16 recession and plagued by corruption, have been fighting a losing war against some of the world’s most powerful drug gangs. Critics have also blamed the government for the lack of a national public security plan, calling for more investment in investigative policing and community policing.

Under a 2003 law, Brazilian civilian gun owners must be at least 25 years old, provide proof of a steady job and have no criminal history, among other requirements. The biggest stumbling block, critics complain, is that federal police have the final say over whether applicants really need a gun. Police frequently decide they don’t.

Mark
...Germany, France, UK, and Japan have strict gun control and murder rates many times lower than the US--these are the countries more comparable to the US than Brazil is

Why do some US states with many guns have murder rates that rival those of the safest nations? Could it be because its not the guns?

Mark
...Chicago, NYCity, and LA strict gun control and very dense -HIGH populations have much lower murder rate than very pro-gun STL Missouri
...STL named murder capital of the US and in top ten most dangerous cities--sometimes # 1

States are not cities.

Mark

Mark

Mark

States are not cities.

Mark
hahahaha
very pro-gun Missouri has a lower murder rate than strict gun controlled California, New York and Ill

Mark

Mark

States are not cities.

Mark
gun controlled Germany, France, UK, and Japan much lower murder rates than the US

Forum List

Back