Brave passengers board last ever Flight 666 to HEL on Friday the 13th

You mean rational flyers that realize the bible is mostly fictionalized bullshit loosely based in historical fact?
Explain please how our universe came into being, how the laws of nature works in perfect harmony and how this all happened when a single dot in the void suddenly exploded.

Then tell us how the Dot got there

You mean rational flyers that realize the bible is mostly fictionalized bullshit loosely based in historical fact?
Explain please how our universe came into being, how the laws of nature works in perfect harmony and how this all happened when a single dot in the void suddenly exploded.

Then tell us how the Dot got there
If I had to guess I'd put my money on the multiverse but I am not a scientist or a know it all. I have no idea. I don't claim to know all the answers I just claim to be open minded

Um.m..m...m... That would be the Euphrates and Tigris river basin.

Yep. But, he was using a specific location and that specific location was flooded yearly by the Nile.

This is the flood:
The Atrahasis is the Akkadian/Babylonian epic of the Great Flood sent by the gods to destroy human life. Only the good man, Atrahasis (his name translates as `exceedingly wise') was warned of the impending deluge by the god Ea who instructed him to build an ark to save himself. Atrahasis heeded the words of the god, loaded two of every kind of animal into the ark, and so preserved human and animal life on earth.

Written down in the mid-17th century BCE, the Atrahasis can be dated by the colophon to the reign of the Babylonian King Hammurabi's great-grandson, Ammi-Saduqa (1646-1626 BCE) though the tale itself is considered much older, passed down through oral transmission. The Sumerian Flood Story (known as the `Eridu Genesis') which tells the same story, is certainly older (written down early 17th century BCE) and Tablet XI of the Epic of Gilgamesh, which also relates the tale of the Great Flood, is even older than that (2150-1400 BCE, though this is the date of the writing of Gilgamesh and it may well be that the Sumerian Flood story, in oral form, is actually older). While the story itself concerns a flood of universal proportions (even scaring the gods who unleashed it) most scholars recognize that it was probably inspired by a local event: flooding caused by the Tigris and Euphrates rivers overflowing their banks.
The Atrahasis Epic: The Great Flood & the Meaning of Suffering

But the reason that we know that it stems from Sumerians is the reference to the city and ruler.

The story of the Great Flood has its origins in Sumer, the southern part of ancient Babylonia. Even though the younger Epic of Atrahasis and the Epic of Gilgameš, written in Babylonian, change many details, they continue to refer to Šuruppak as the city of the hero of the Flood story, even though the Sumerian name of the hero, Ziusudra, has been changed into Atrahasis or Ut-napištim. In the youngest Babylonian version, by Berossus, we see the origal name return: testimony to the vitality of the Sumerian story, which has been called Eridu Genesis by modern scholars.
The Great Flood: Sumerian version - Livius

I can see this has devolved into a discussion on religion. I have a question though. Did a boy really cry wolf three days in a row? The old fable has been told for generations to help teach children not to lie. Yet did it really happen? If we use the Bible Standard, we can’t tell the story again. It is not literally true. No lessons can be learned from something that is not literally true.

Yet we have thousands of such fables to use to communicate a lesson.

When your child asks why is the sky blue, do you give them a detailed explanation including the physics of light and chemical compositions in the atmosphere? No. You give them a simplified answer. An answer that is sort of true, as far as it goes.

Explaining the universe to ancient man would have been even harder. It takes time to really grasp the entire foundation of knowledge. One example. Einstein came up with the theory of relativity. Yet even Einstein did not realize it meant that Black Holes would exist. When he was told of it, he was horrified that something where gravity runs amok could exist. He set out to disprove it.

Imagine trying to explain gravity to ancient man. Imagine trying to describe the speed of light. The boy can cry wolf in a fable to teach us. But ancient man can not have an understanding of the universe that is not literally true.

We still are struggling to understand the nuances of the Theory of Relativity today. A century has passed and still we are refining our understanding of it. It was not the end, but just the beginning. The people studying it today were not even born when Einstein died. And we still do not know it all.

I believe in God. I believe the Bible along with other religious texts is God telling us what the hell happened in ways we could grasp. The same way you simplify the explanation on why the sky is blue for a child. They can not understand the more complex, if more literally true answer. In another century, people will consider us ignorant barbarians.

One of my favorite movie scenes is the Hospital Scene in Star Trek 4. McCoy raging at the barbarians and comparing modern medicine to the Dark Ages, the Spanish Inquisition. By his standards, it may be. But it is the best we have. Perhaps in another two hundred years we will have a pill that causes us to grow a new kidney. Perhaps we will have small devices that can repair a torn artery without surgery. Perhaps we will have treatments that repair broken bones in hours or minutes instead of weeks.

That doesn’t mean we aren’t doing the best we can to understand and explain our world now. I believe that God is wise enough to teach us in ways we can understand. I believe that God wants us to do our best to understand the nuances of His miracle.

I can see this has devolved into a discussion on religion. I have a question though. Did a boy really cry wolf three days in a row? The old fable has been told for generations to help teach children not to lie. Yet did it really happen? If we use the Bible Standard, we can’t tell the story again. It is not literally true. No lessons can be learned from something that is not literally true.

Yet we have thousands of such fables to use to communicate a lesson.

When your child asks why is the sky blue, do you give them a detailed explanation including the physics of light and chemical compositions in the atmosphere? No. You give them a simplified answer. An answer that is sort of true, as far as it goes.

Explaining the universe to ancient man would have been even harder. It takes time to really grasp the entire foundation of knowledge. One example. Einstein came up with the theory of relativity. Yet even Einstein did not realize it meant that Black Holes would exist. When he was told of it, he was horrified that something where gravity runs amok could exist. He set out to disprove it.

Imagine trying to explain gravity to ancient man. Imagine trying to describe the speed of light. The boy can cry wolf in a fable to teach us. But ancient man can not have an understanding of the universe that is not literally true.

We still are struggling to understand the nuances of the Theory of Relativity today. A century has passed and still we are refining our understanding of it. It was not the end, but just the beginning. The people studying it today were not even born when Einstein died. And we still do not know it all.

I believe in God. I believe the Bible along with other religious texts is God telling us what the hell happened in ways we could grasp. The same way you simplify the explanation on why the sky is blue for a child. They can not understand the more complex, if more literally true answer. In another century, people will consider us ignorant barbarians.

One of my favorite movie scenes is the Hospital Scene in Star Trek 4. McCoy raging at the barbarians and comparing modern medicine to the Dark Ages, the Spanish Inquisition. By his standards, it may be. But it is the best we have. Perhaps in another two hundred years we will have a pill that causes us to grow a new kidney. Perhaps we will have small devices that can repair a torn artery without surgery. Perhaps we will have treatments that repair broken bones in hours or minutes instead of weeks.

That doesn’t mean we aren’t doing the best we can to understand and explain our world now. I believe that God is wise enough to teach us in ways we can understand. I believe that God wants us to do our best to understand the nuances of His miracle.

Yep. I prolly should have at least tried to get it back on track but I love this topic especially the further back we go and it isn't very often I encounter others who enjoy the same. Although, I think there is a difference between personal beliefs and historical knowledge (for lack of a better term).

Um.m..m...m... That would be the Euphrates and Tigris river basin.

Yep. But, he was using a specific location and that specific location was flooded yearly by the Nile.

This is the flood:
The Atrahasis is the Akkadian/Babylonian epic of the Great Flood sent by the gods to destroy human life. Only the good man, Atrahasis (his name translates as `exceedingly wise') was warned of the impending deluge by the god Ea who instructed him to build an ark to save himself. Atrahasis heeded the words of the god, loaded two of every kind of animal into the ark, and so preserved human and animal life on earth.

Written down in the mid-17th century BCE, the Atrahasis can be dated by the colophon to the reign of the Babylonian King Hammurabi's great-grandson, Ammi-Saduqa (1646-1626 BCE) though the tale itself is considered much older, passed down through oral transmission. The Sumerian Flood Story (known as the `Eridu Genesis') which tells the same story, is certainly older (written down early 17th century BCE) and Tablet XI of the Epic of Gilgamesh, which also relates the tale of the Great Flood, is even older than that (2150-1400 BCE, though this is the date of the writing of Gilgamesh and it may well be that the Sumerian Flood story, in oral form, is actually older). While the story itself concerns a flood of universal proportions (even scaring the gods who unleashed it) most scholars recognize that it was probably inspired by a local event: flooding caused by the Tigris and Euphrates rivers overflowing their banks.
The Atrahasis Epic: The Great Flood & the Meaning of Suffering

But the reason that we know that it stems from Sumerians is the reference to the city and ruler.

The story of the Great Flood has its origins in Sumer, the southern part of ancient Babylonia. Even though the younger Epic of Atrahasis and the Epic of Gilgameš, written in Babylonian, change many details, they continue to refer to Šuruppak as the city of the hero of the Flood story, even though the Sumerian name of the hero, Ziusudra, has been changed into Atrahasis or Ut-napištim. In the youngest Babylonian version, by Berossus, we see the origal name return: testimony to the vitality of the Sumerian story, which has been called Eridu Genesis by modern scholars.
The Great Flood: Sumerian version - Livius

th

The Euphrates and Tigris river basins had pretty much the same flooding dynamics that the Nile had. Utilizing the legends to determine exactly which region, if not both, were experiencing flooding would be difficult at best. If there was a year that had heavy rains throughout the middle east and northeastern Africa the story of a flood would be pretty widespread to all cultures at that time. Especially if a major event had occurred in that region of the world.

*****CHUCKLE*****

:)

When your child asks why is the sky blue, do you give them a detailed explanation including the physics of light and chemical compositions in the atmosphere?

Uhm.... yes?

I did, they didn't understand it at first, but I taught them and now they do - just like everything else they now "know."

(Not my topic here, and I get your point with the question, even agree with a lot of it, but I kind of laughed a little when I read that.)

Forum List

Back