Brasil

AceRothstein

Gold Member
Sep 8, 2012
Heading to Brasil, actually arriving two weeks from today. Going to Rio, Iguacu Falls and Buzios. Anyone ever been? Hitting up Argentina for a day while at the falls.

Don't forget your sodium idodide tablets. ;)

"Brazilian beaches may be famous for solar radiation (among other things) but strollers on Guarapari‘s pristine white sand shores may want to apply sunscreen to their soles as well. According to The National Center for Biotechnology Information (NCBI), the sands of Atlantic coast beaches running from north of Rio de Janeiro down to south of Bahia (roughly 500 miles) are naturally radioactive. The source is sand eroded from Monazite, an ore of the naturally radioactive element thorium commonly found in mountains backing the shore.

Radiation levels are highest at Guarapari’s beaches, a popular seasonal tourist attraction, where readings of up to 175 mSv (millisieverts)) per year have been measured. Compare this figure with the current annual safe limit for nuclear workers: 20 mSv a year. Not coincidentally, Japanese government’s enforced 20 km exclusion zone around the stricken Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant is also rated at 20 mSv per year."
Hot Spots Earth s 5 Most Naturally Radioactive Places - WebEcoist

Heading to Brasil, actually arriving two weeks from today. Going to Rio, Iguacu Falls and Buzios. Anyone ever been? Hitting up Argentina for a day while at the falls.

I've been to Rio several times. When I was younger (Reagan's first term) my cousin and I hit the clubs on Princess Isabella Ave. Ipanema and Copacabana are a must. If there's a local football game at Maracana I highly recommend that as well.

I've been to Iguazu, which is absloutely magical. A stunning place.

It's well worth taking the boat trip at the bottom, but be really careful with youir camera. Mine stopped working due to the constant spray. I was trying to protect it, but just underestimated the effect of that constant mist....I was totally soaked after a couple of hours there!

I've been to Rio several times. When I was younger (Reagan's first term) my cousin and I hit the clubs on Princess Isabella Ave. Ipanema and Copacabana are a must. If there's a local football game at Maracana I highly recommend that as well.
We are leaving this Wednesday and there is a match on Thursday. Going to try to convince my wife to go.

I've been to Iguazu, which is absloutely magical. A stunning place.

It's well worth taking the boat trip at the bottom, but be really careful with youir camera. Mine stopped working due to the constant spray. I was trying to protect it, but just underestimated the effect of that constant mist....I was totally soaked after a couple of hours there!
Thanks for the heads up. We have some ponchos that we are bringing and I planned on bringing a baggie or two to stick the camera in.

Forum List

Back