Brand new battery already dead

Natural Citizen

American Made
Gold Supporting Member
Aug 8, 2016
I just bought that thing like two weeks ago. The temps last few days killed it. $189 for that thing. And the date is good on it, too, so hasn't been sitting on a shelf for ages.

I hooked my jumper up to it and it cranked over and started right away, so not dead, per se, I guess.

Still, though.

Anyone know any overnight ways to keep the battery warm without hooking it up to a tender? I don't wanna mess with that every single day. I hate messing with cords. And I'm not going out there and jumping it every day either.

I just bought that thing like two weeks ago. The temps last few days killed it. $189 for that thing. And the date is good on it, too, so hasn't been sitting on a shelf for ages.

I hooked my jumper up to it and it cranked over and started right away, so not dead, per se, I guess.

Still, though.

Anyone know any overnight ways to keep the battery warm without hooking it up to a tender? I don't wanna mess with that every single day. I hate messing with cords. And I'm not going out there and jumping it every day either.
/——/ Move to Florida. Problem solved.

Still, though.

Well unless your temps are sub zero I suspect all is not right with your alternator or either you're not driving enough to replenish the charge after starting. Each time you have to jump start leads to a condition called sulfation which is the leading cause of ultimate battery failure and death.
First thing to do is measure the output voltage of the alternator with the engine running. It needs to be a bit over 14VDC or it's inadequate to charge the battery. Off idle, mine reads about 14.3 VDC with no heavy loads like lights etc. After shut down your battery needs to be reading a bit over 12 VDC, say 12.4 or better with no heavy loads or else it isn't fully charged.
If you buy a decent tender charger, recommended in cold climates, you can intall it in the car, leave it connected to the battery, then just plug it into an extention cord when you get home which is pretty simple and fuss free.
If you have a tank heater, also good in very cold temps, you can put it on the same circuit so one plug does both the heater and the tender charger. That way you not only start quicker but you also start with an already warm car.

Forgot to add if you do buy a new battery an AGM type is well worth the extra cost. I recommend Odyssey batteries for several reasons.

Last edited:

Still, though.

/——-/ Cheap heater placed on floor nearest the battery.

Well unless your temps are sub zero I suspect all is not right with your alternator or either you're not driving enough to replenish the charge after starting. Each time you have to jump start leads to a condition called sulfation which is the leading cause of ultimate battery failure and death.
First thing to do is measure the output voltage of the alternator with the engine running. It needs to be a bit over 14VDC or it's inadequate to charge the battery. Off idle, mine reads about 14.3 VDC with no heavy loads like lights etc. After shut down your baterry needs to be reading a bit over 12 VDC, say 12.4 or better with no heavy loads or else it isn't fully charged.
If you buy a decent tender charger, recommended in cold climates, you can intall it in the car, leave it connected to the battery, then just plug it into an extention cord when you get home which is pretty simple and fuss free. If you have a tank heater, also good in very cold temps, you can put it on the same circuit so one plug does both the heater and the tender charger. That way you not only start quicker but you also start with an already warm car.

Forgot to add if you do buy a new battery an AGM type is well worth the extra cost. I recommend Odyssey batteries for several reasons.

I just walked out there and slid the boot down on the end of the alternator hot wire. It's shot. Barely hanging on by a disintegrated couple of strands.

The battery cable ends are good.

Good call. Didn't think to check that. That's gotta be it. No way it's recharging the battery right in that condition. Thanks.

First thing to do is measure the output voltage of the alternator with the engine running. It needs to be a bit over 14VDC or it's inadequate to charge the battery. Off idle, mine reads about 14.3 VDC with no heavy loads like lights etc. After shut down your baterry needs to be reading a bit over 12 VDC, say 12.4 or better with no heavy loads or else it isn't fully charged.
If you buy a decent tender charger, recommended in cold climates, you can intall it in the car, leave it connected to the battery, then just plug it into an extention cord when you get home which is pretty simple and fuss free. If you have a tank heater, also good in very cold temps, you can put it on the same circuit so one plug does both the heater and the tender charger. That way you not only start quicker but you also start with an already warm car.

I just walked out there and slid the boot down on the end of the alternator hot wire. It's shot. Barely hanging on by a disintegrated couple of strands.

Good call. Didn't think to check that. That's gotta be it. No way it's recharging the battery right in that condition. Thanks.
Sounds like that could be it.

Last time I had starting issues with a new battery, it was actually the starter. Starter seized and
Pulls to many volts on crank and will act like failed battery.

Just replaced an AGW battery in my Jeep to the tune of 200 bucks.
But the original lasted 8 years.

That is very weird, I guess a squirrel chewed the cable or the cable was touching a moving belt or pulley. It's not common the battery acid to destroy a cable because the insulator cover.

Good thing you found the cause of the fast discharge of the battery.

Been having battery probs in the vette a few years, Tried one of them surefire gels looks like a sixpac. Don't they suk, New battery last fall. Hook up the tender shows 2 lights, not good. Seem to lose a cell quite often. Spose should unhook for the 3 mo don't drive it.

I already fixed this. The batt cable was just corroded through. It was the 30 year old original wiring, so. Then I ended up replacing the alternator, too.

At first I didn't really feel like doing the alternator and called the garage to see how much they'd charge me. They told me 800 dollars, so I told em to hug my nuts and I did it myself for sixty five dollars. Took about twenty minutes.

Do it the way old bush pilots used to.

Build a small fire under the engine.

Good luck finding one of the little pots we used to use - the ones that kept the flames inside.

Not just a smudge pot? I flew, never made it to the bush though. Jumped, that was fun.

Dad was a WW2 and 20 year Engineman on diesel subs. He always had a wool blanket over his engine in his 53 belair in winter. I still have that blanket.

Still, though.

Get a battery maintainer from harbor freight. they're like six bucks.

Forum List

Back