Branches, Aren't we on the same team?

Cain

Air Force DEP
Nov 14, 2010
Tennessee
So, I am in the Air Force DEP of my high school (God Help me! Tomorrow is dep call/pt) and we have had some problems with the other branches. Mainly, the Marine DEP like to trash-talk a lot about the other branches. Army/Air Force in paticular. Although they sort of do it to everyone. I have been called "Chair Force" so many times, and usually I just ignore them cause their just playing, but then..I had a older guy, I opened the door for him and his wife, and he was in at least his late 50's or 60's, and he looked at me and saw my hat and said "beepin Air Force" now...I understand not liking another branch, but isn't this going a bit extreme?

My Uncle Johnny was in the US Army during ww2, and he showed me a scar on his chest, where apparently a few Sailors and him got into a bar fight, they took a bottle and he got cut streaked down the shoulder to nearly his gut, all because they were different branches. I think that is ridiculious, I mean, we are all on the same team, America. I personally have had to step in when kids get into it over branches, we haven't had any fights (that I am aware of), but they get really stupid. Is it really like this everywhere? I have to be honest, if I ever have a situation like my Uncle Johnny, I am going to do my best to ignore any offending guy, cause either: A) He is drunk. B) Stupid. C) A prick. I am pretty much a C, but I am a respectful C.

I am hoping for stories of your own, I understand to ignore this stuff, but I'd really like to know if their is any real way to stop it, cause it gets insane at times. I think it is just cause of how each one takes a little too much pride in each other.

Intra-service rivalry is all part of the game. Of all the services, the Air Force is the easiest to make fun of. I mean, after all, they carry umbrellas!

But it's all in good fun. Even the bar fights. Bar fights build character. Used to be that if you got into a bar fight, the First Sergeant would be called to the local jail to bail everyone out. But if they didn't win the fight, the Top Stripe let them stay in jail overnight to ponder over the disgrace they brought upon the unit. Them days are gone forever. We're much more politically correct nowadays.

Damn shame.

Toome is right.

These days it's more of like I always try to tell people.

Different Uniforms;

Different missions;

Same Flag.

eagle-on-us-flag.jpg

I can see how it is part of it, but I really wish it wasn't, cause it gets ridiculious a lot of times.

I hope we all become more united over time as branches, I mean, not turn into one HUGE branch, but become more of a brotherhood then ever. Although, I will call any Marine/Army/Navy/Coast Guard/etc my brother-in-arms.

If you know, and can recognize both parents, you can join the Navy. If not, you'll have to join one of the other inferior branches of the service.

If you know, and can recognize both parents, you can join the Navy. If not, you'll have to join one of the other inferior branches of the service.

I fail to see the joke? I am not very good at catching jokes, can you explain? I live with both of my parents, and I signed with the USAF.

I fail to see the joke? I am not very good at catching jokes, can you explain? I live with both of my parents, and I signed with the USAF.

Don't worry, Big Black Dog is just a little butt hurt right now. Its a very common occurrence in the Navy.

I think a lot of the rivalry between branches is a natural consequence of the team building that is a fundamental party of every branch of the service. You're taught to have your buddies back and vice versa, and that you should be proud of what you accomplish as a team. Of course a lot of people feel that in order to be proud of something, it has to be a unique accomplishment or skill or sacrifice, so they diminish other peoples' accomplishments, skills, and sacrifices.

And don't take it too hard. Most guys are just bullshitting and the ones who aren't are morons who don't understand the very real value of the other branches. Besides, even within each branch, different units have had long lasting rivalries which can get pretty nasty at times. It all boils down to a combination of survival instincts and a motivation mechanism.

I can see how it is part of it, but I really wish it wasn't, cause it gets ridiculious a lot of times.

I hope we all become more united over time as branches, I mean, not turn into one HUGE branch, but become more of a brotherhood then ever. Although, I will call any Marine/Army/Navy/Coast Guard/etc my brother-in-arms.

Pride in the military is half of it.
Pride in your branch is the other half.
Some of my best friends are retired USAF. They were also my best adversaries during peacetime.

Sadly, showing pride with good old fashioned fun is waning as quickly as freedom in America is.

Pride in the military is half of it.
Pride in your branch is the other half.
Some of my best friends are retired USAF. They were also my best adversaries during peacetime.

Sadly, showing pride with good old fashioned fun is waning as quickly as freedom in America is.

Well, I do not plan on not being proud, just choose not to have conflict, unless I am attacked first. If that happens, I'll just defend myself, but I doubt anything serious will happen. I wonder how war affects the inter-branch conflicting.

Why would any man want to volunteer for months at sea with no women in site except for a few lezbo's?

Yeah, we know why!

Whole lotta ass grabbin' goin' on aboard the U.S.S. LOVEBOATS!

:razz:

It's all part of the military experience to goof on the other branches.

As I recall, the term we used for the Marines was Seagoing Bellhops.

It's a time honored tradition to rag on the other branches. It's all in fun.

And Cain, it's not the Chair Force. It's the Air Farce.

Here's a pic for you, brother.

lasttime.JPG

It's great Shooter, I remembered a joke and here it is:

A little boy was standing in front of a mirror in the restroom at John F. Kennedy Airport, when in walked a Marine staff sergeant, dressed in his dress blues. The little boy turned to the Marine and said, "Wow! Are you a Marine?"

The Marine replied, "Why, yes I am, young man. Would you like to wear my hat?"

"Boy, would I!," said the little boy. He took the hat and placed it on his head and turned to admire himself in the mirror.

As he was looking in the mirror, he heard the door open and through a ray of bright light, a man entered the room. But, this was not just a man -- he was more than a man. He was an Airborne Ranger.

The little boy turned and went over to the soldier. As he approached him, he could see the reflection in his boots. His eyes widened as he stared up at the soldier's chest full of medals and combat ribbons. He tried to speak, but he couldn't. Finally, he took a deep breath, and managed to say, "Excuse me, Sir. Are you an Airborne Ranger?"

The Ranger replied with a thunderous voice, "Why yes, I am!! Would you like to shine my boots?"

The little boy smiled, and said, "Oh, no sir!! I'm not a Marine. I'm just wearing his hat!"

Had too

Last edited:

Forum List

Back