CDZ Brain power is out of control

Are we doomed to continuing to use the brain in excess of our power to control ourselves, thus sooner or later eliciting extinction from the universe?
Holy crap, what an incredibly interesting, big-picture topic. Kudos, big time.

It's as if there is a race going on - will our emotions win and we use what we have created to destroy ourselves, or will our intellect win and allow us to control our baser impulses before it's too late?

Early returns are not promising, not when we have people who choose to create and live in essentially 17th century conditions looking to destroy others with 21st century tech. It also does appear that we're allowing technology to replace our most important critical thinking skills.

One thing we may not have realized as we continued to develop more advanced materials and technology was that those very things would make us intellectually lazy and reliant. And, perhaps most dangerous of all, incurious. We see that across our culture and (obviously) politics right now. Our best qualities are fading.

Where does that lead us next?
Christ returns.
Well, I reckon that would be an eye-opener!

:cool:

As essential problem with the choices most people make regarding ideology and religion is that they are not sufficiently aware of the very act of choosing.

As essential problem with the choices most people make regarding ideology and religion is that they are not sufficiently aware of the very act of choosing.

th

“I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.”
Robert A. Heinlein

*****SMILE*****

:)

th

“I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.”
Robert A. Heinlein

*****SMILE*****

Nice prose, yet inapplicable to everyone; true freedom requires profound understanding of consequences.

th

Robert A. Heinlein

*****SMILE*****

Nice prose, yet inapplicable to everyone; true freedom requires profound understanding of consequences.

th

*****SMILE*****

It is important to realize that one counts for nothing and is infinitesimally ephemeral.
It is equally important to realize that one's existence is all that there is and that the universe, time and all else ends with one's demise.

It is important to realize that one counts for nothing and is infinitesimally ephemeral.
It is equally important to realize that one's existence is all that there is and that the universe, time and all else ends with one's demise.
That would not be a realization, but merely a delusion instead.

We are made to be Eternal in spirit, and nothing can truly kill us, NADA.

That is because the persona one ports never does, actually, "die".
Ceasing to be, without any sensation of it, is not being dead (as in saying someone is dead, as if that were a verb).

Ceasing to be, without any sensation of it, is not being dead (as in saying someone is dead, as if that were a verb).
One does n ot lose ones sense of self existence in death.

Upon what is this statement based?

Fact and experience.

Fact and experience.
You have had the experience of passing the seeming barrier of death and perceived existence afterward? That is an enormously impressive bit of news. Anything more you could add would be most interesting.

You have had the experience of passing the seeming barrier of death and perceived existence afterward? That is an enormously impressive bit of news. Anything more you could add would be most interesting.
I have had dead people speak to me in dreams and tell me things no one could know other than them on two separate occasions.

I have seen people who have had NDEs that were freaked out and determined to live righteous lives afterwards.

Of course, I am sure you have explanations for all these.

Matter is the illusion that concentrations of energy create in the mind. This is as true for the brain as for anything else made of 'matter'. That the phenomenon called 'mind' appears to have its seat in the brain is the greatest mystery of the universe. In a very real way, it is the universe becoming aware of itself. Our very thoughts, the activity of the mind, is the conversion of 'matter' into invisible yet tangible energy. Energy is not lost from the universe. So, whatever we 'are' in the conscious sense cannot totally cease to be. That it continues in an identifiable, individuated fashion is not certain.

Matter is the illusion that concentrations of energy create in the mind. This is as true for the brain as for anything else made of 'matter'. That the phenomenon called 'mind' appears to have its seat in the brain is the greatest mystery of the universe. In a very real way, it is the universe becoming aware of itself. Our very thoughts, the activity of the mind, is the conversion of 'matter' into invisible yet tangible energy. Energy is not lost from the universe. So, whatever we 'are' in the conscious sense cannot totally cease to be. That it continues in an identifiable, individuated fashion is not certain.
No, I think it is certain that it does, but I admit it is based on my own experiences which are not really evidence for anyone else.

But I am certain post death existence is very real and I use it to guide my thought, plans and vision of my personal future.

No, I think it is certain that it does, but I admit it is based on my own experiences which are not really evidence for anyone else.

But I am certain post death existence is very real and I use it to guide my thought, plans and vision of my personal future.
It cannot be an error to live as if 'existence' continued, since we do not know for certain that it does not.
The 'out-of-control-brain' proposition still applies to the tendency of so many to insist that their vision of things must be accepted by others.

It cannot be an error to live as if 'existence' continued, since we do not know for certain that it does not.
The 'out-of-control-brain' proposition still applies to the tendency of so many to insist that their vision of things must be accepted by others.

I do not think that a compulsion to convert is more coming from a denial of doubt than from strong faith.

God is Just and His judgement will be perfectly fair.

Presenting someone with information that one deems to be important is one thing. Exacting complicity is another. That is one of the excesses of cerebral activity.

Forum List

Back