BP Wants To Know: Can You Fix The Spill?

That's a cynical POV, dave. Who knows? The answer may come from some ordinary citizen/engineer.

Not saying that it won't or can't... but you will indeed have tinfoil hat crackpots, delusional assholes like whiny tuba, etc calling in to this... in DROVES

While the call for outside help is admirable, I think a better way than a phone bank could have been done to gather the legit ideas

If you want to offer BP suggestions online, A submission form is available at: Alternative Technology Response Form.

I say nuke it. Detonating a nuke at the site will temporarily liquify the seafloor into molten lava, then when it cools it will reseal the oil underneath.

At that depth, they don't know what else might be vulnerable to a nuclear blast. What if an underwater volcano is nearby, causing it to errupt and then tsunamis result.

And nobody solicited your opinion of me... but you felt compelled rather than dealing with the point I made

As stated.. I think the call for outside ideas and help is admirable... however, we will have the delusional freaks, the enviro-nazis, and the crackpots using this phone bank for everything else other than what was intended.. I fully believe the is a better way to get the legit ideas from people into the proper hands

The what is a better way DiamondDave?

Reaching out to the scientific community and colleges... reaching out to rival companies.... reaching out to the inventors and independent engineers.... having the proper channels to have writeups and proposals submitted and screened... and not having some phone bank open for the wingnuts to start using for their own agenda... you're not going to get the details of specifics needed on the phone call anyway, the numbers, the data, etc... it will have to be submitted and reviewed... this is half PR and half stupid idea to open a phone number for this

This is not a radio call-in segment for someone to win 2 tickets to Motley Crue.... open to pandemonium... and much like an open casting called compared to screened auditions, you have to weed thru a lot of shit to even possibly get a glimpse of something worthwhile... this is a lot of wasted effort and time that could be better used to comb over legit proposals...

Why do you assume everyone who calls would be a wingnut or a loon? There are hundreds of excellent ideas out there, and a seasoned phone screener would be able to weed out the goofballs in seconds. It's done every morning on C-Span's Washington Journal. :lol:

That's a cynical POV, dave. Who knows? The answer may come from some ordinary citizen/engineer.

Not saying that it won't or can't... but you will indeed have tinfoil hat crackpots, delusional assholes like whiny tuba, etc calling in to this... in DROVES

While the call for outside help is admirable, I think a better way than a phone bank could have been done to gather the legit ideas

If you want to offer BP suggestions online, A submission form is available at: Alternative Technology Response Form.
So is just a publicity stunt or are they being serious?

BP Cares!
BP is Clueless!

I don't know what is worse.

:lol:
And nobody solicited your opinion of me... but you felt compelled rather than dealing with the point I made

As stated.. I think the call for outside ideas and help is admirable... however, we will have the delusional freaks, the enviro-nazis, and the crackpots using this phone bank for everything else other than what was intended.. I fully believe the is a better way to get the legit ideas from people into the proper hands

she's always hoity toity like that. :eusa_angel:

No WillowTree, but I usually object to attention whoring on a serious thread just to parade an imaginary injury inflicted by another USMB-er.

Such as your useless post here, only written to announce that you are still aggravated that I don't care for what you write. I haven't seen you contribute anything substantive to any discussion lately. All of it has been about how sad you are that not everyone likes you or agrees with you.

You really need to have that seen to. meanwhile, I am flushing you to the Iggy Bin as well. Buh-Bye, useless twitter mouse.

The what is a better way DiamondDave?

Reaching out to the scientific community and colleges... reaching out to rival companies.... reaching out to the inventors and independent engineers.... having the proper channels to have writeups and proposals submitted and screened... and not having some phone bank open for the wingnuts to start using for their own agenda... you're not going to get the details of specifics needed on the phone call anyway, the numbers, the data, etc... it will have to be submitted and reviewed... this is half PR and half stupid idea to open a phone number for this

This is not a radio call-in segment for someone to win 2 tickets to Motley Crue.... open to pandemonium... and much like an open casting called compared to screened auditions, you have to weed thru a lot of shit to even possibly get a glimpse of something worthwhile... this is a lot of wasted effort and time that could be better used to comb over legit proposals...

Why do you assume everyone who calls would be a wingnut or a loon? There are hundreds of excellent ideas out there, and a seasoned phone screener would be able to weed out the goofballs in seconds. It's done every morning on C-Span's Washington Journal. :lol:

Hundreds of 'good ideas' out there..?? I'd like to be shown that

And when this kind of thing opens up, like when a company opens up a hotline for so many different media reasons, you do indeed get a huge influx of loons, radicals, haters, etc... and you get a bunch of pranksters, people without even a smidgen of a clue, and others flooding the input with ignorance.... wallowing thru that bullshit takes massive time and effort, better used elsewhere.... it's a needle in a haystack scenario

And we're not talking opinion seeking here.. this is indeed a search for solutions... not getting a printable or reportable blurb... big difference

You don't tell your scientific theory to a telephone operator, folks. If you call the number in the Op, she gets your data including a private email addy and you'll be sent a form you can use to fully explain your approach.

It probably is nothing more than a feel-good for angry Americans, but so what? Doubtless the replies will be read by someone and if your idea has merit, they may use it. Who cares where the solution comes from, as long as there is one.

Here's what I don't get: was there no doomsday plan at all? This is not the first oil rig to spill; is BP admitting now that it had NO plan in place to cap the hole and clean up the oil all along?

I say nuke it. Detonating a nuke at the site will temporarily liquify the seafloor into molten lava, then when it cools it will reseal the oil underneath.

And your degree in nuclear physics, and experiance in the detonation of nukes 5000 ft under water gaurantees this?

So is just a publicity stunt or are they being serious?

BP Cares!
BP is Clueless!

I don't know what is worse.

What are BP's actions in third world? How much caring are they showing there? As much as Shell?

We need to fill the hole with useless, inert matter that is impervious to facts, logic and common sense; I think 12 million Liberals should do the trick.

If you nuke it it will probably be hot for a very very long time. That would be very bad for an area like that.

Fish of all species would be poisoned forever.

We need to fill the hole with useless, inert matter that is impervious to facts, logic and common sense; I think 12 million Liberals should do the trick.

How about the 75% of big oil contributors to Republicans? Then toss in said Republicans for good measure? We could start with bloviating hypocrite Jim Inhofe.

Forum List

Back