BP: Okay? Now what?

BWAHAHA......

Obama is going to "punish" ALL "BIG OIL" by withdrawing all subsidies.

:eek::eek::eek:

Gee, I wonder how ExxonMobil, Shell, BP, et al could possibly survive without government help???
:lol::lol::lol:

BWAHAHA......

Gee, I wonder how ExxonMobil, Shell, BP, et al could possibly survive without government help???
Should do that anyway. As well as all corporate subsidies (particularly green energy subsidies) and get back to tariffs if we're going to help our companies compete against unfair foreign advantage. Make the other governments pay the freight instead.

Last edited:
BWAHAHA......

Should do that anyway. As well as all corporate subsidies (particularly green energy subsidies) and get back to tariffs if we're going to help our companies compete against unfair foreign advantage. Make the other governments pay the freight instead.

Don't you wonder WHY the subsidies are given in the first place?

HMMMMmmmm????

Could they be the "carrots" that the feds use to encourage alternative energy development!!!!!:lol::lol:

Yeah, brilliant idea.

BWAHAHA......

HMMMMmmmm????

Could they be the "carrots" that the feds use to encourage alternative energy development!!!!!:lol::lol:

Yeah, brilliant idea.
:confused:

Normally I follow you Samson... but I'm not quite getting it today. I r teh slowz.

I know all forms of green energy are currently unsustainable without severe govt. payola. Just like all public mass transit.

HMMMMmmmm????

Yeah, brilliant idea.

Normally I follow you Samson... but I'm not quite getting it today. I r teh slowz.

I know all forms of green energy are currently unsustainable without severe govt. payola. Just like all public mass transit.

Question: Which companies are in the best position to develope alternative energy sources?

Answer: ENERGY PRODUCING COMPANIES

Question: But, why should they?

Answer: GOVERNMENT SUBSIDIES

Question: You mean ConocoPhillips has plans to build a large Campus in Lewisville, CO that will be focused on developing sources of non-fossil fuel based energy?

Answer: Yes

Question: Will they be interested in this endeavor without receiving US Govt Subsidies?

Answer: Probably not

HMMMMmmmm????

Yeah, brilliant idea.

Question: Which companies are in the best position to develope alternative energy sources?

Question: You mean ConocoPhillips has plans to build a large Campus in Lewisville, CO that will be focused on developing sources of non-fossil fuel based energy?

Question: Will they be interested in this endeavor without receiving US Govt Subsidies?

Ahhh... gotcha. See I'm more of a 'let the market decide' in this type of project. Pull the subsidies, and if there is a shown benefit of going to a new type of energy that is bigger,better,faster,stronger then the market will take care of it just like has been the case throughout all of history.

But that's me. I don't like subsidies to corporations for almost any/every reason.

Ahhh... gotcha. See I'm more of a 'let the market decide' in this type of project. Pull the subsidies, and if there is a shown benefit of going to a new type of energy that is bigger,better,faster,stronger then the market will take care of it just like has been the case throughout all of history.

But that's me. I don't like subsidies to corporations for almost any/every reason.

I agree.....usually.

However, to convert the USA to a non-fossil based world, we need to begin LARGE, LONG RANGE projects......much like the Manhatten Project.

Large Energy Companies employ the brains, and can pay them for pursuing thousands of, 15-20 year projects, only one or two of which may work, if they are given an incentive.

Essentially, Obama's threat to pull "Big Oil" subsidies shoots his goal of developing alternative energy sources in the foot, and demonstrates how sadly naive his administration is.

I agree.....usually.

However, to convert the USA to a non-fossil based world, we need to begin LARGE, LONG RANGE projects......much like the Manhatten Project.

Large Energy Companies employ the brains, and can pay them for pursuing thousands of, 15-20 year projects, only one or two of which may work, if they are given an incentive.

Essentially, Obama's threat to pull "Big Oil" subsidies shoots his goal of developing alternative energy sources in the foot, and demonstrates how sadly naive his administration is.
Okay, I see your point in that regard. But the market would force the same thing, only when we would start running out of oil. But that day is a few centuries off.

I agree.....usually.

Okay, I see your point in that regard. But the market would force the same thing, only when we would start running out of oil. But that day is a few centuries off.

If I'm wrong, then no sweat, we'll be ready in a century or three.

If YOU're wrong, we'll be shooting each other over firewood.

I agree.....usually.

Well, look at what's happened in the past when we've switched energy sources. From whale Oil to Kerosene. It only got rocky when the government tried to interfere to protect old industries or create false market strictures.

Same went for railroads switching to from wood to coal to oil. Each had their start up costs but all happened because the price rose with scarcity, but happened far enough off in the future that the alternative was found long before it was a danger. Heck, only when there was a threatened coal strike with winter coming in 1901 was there a real threat to people's lives. And in that case I fully agree with how TR handled it.

But then again, I do not believe in Peak Oil one bit, and see 90% of our difficulties in extracting oil right now as socio-political, not scientific or due to scarcity.

Well, look at what's happened in the past when we've switched energy sources. From whale Oil to Kerosene. It only got rocky when the government tried to interfere to protect old industries or create false market strictures.

Same went for railroads switching to from wood to coal to oil. Each had their start up costs but all happened because the price rose with scarcity, but happened far enough off in the future that the alternative was found long before it was a danger. Heck, only when there was a threatened coal strike with winter coming in 1901 was there a real threat to people's lives. And in that case I fully agree with how TR handled it.

But then again, I do not believe in Peak Oil one bit, and see 90% of our difficulties in extracting oil right now as socio-political, not scientific or due to scarcity.

Comparing the switch from Whale Oil to Kerosene with the 180 million BPD Oil the 300 million in the USA currently consumes to another energy source is, I'm sorry to say, quite absurd.

I don't believe in "Peak Oil" either. But I also don't believe we'll suddenly find some natural resource laying around that we can simply strike a match to and burn. Hoping that this will magically occur as a result of the free market is an invitation to disaster.

If you were correct, then the free market would have refined U 235.

Comparing the switch from Whale Oil to Kerosene with the 180 million BPD Oil the 300 million in the USA currently consumes to another energy source is, I'm sorry to say, quite absurd.

I don't believe in "Peak Oil" either. But I also don't believe we'll suddenly find some natural resource laying around that we can simply strike a match to and burn. Hoping that this will magically occur as a result of the free market is an invitation to disaster.

Yeah, I can see why you're saying that. And our energy consumption back then was far less than today. But I do think the change will scale accordingly. That said, we knew about Oil for a generation or so before Jay Rockafeller figured out a way to use distillates like Kerosene and market it in a way that dropped the energy costs over 90% as compared to whale oil and create the monster known as Standard Oil.

Now that begs an interesting question. Why don't we have refined U-235? I really don't know.

Yeah, I can see why you're saying that. And our energy consumption back then was far less than today. But I do think the change will scale accordingly. That said, we knew about Oil for a generation or so before Jay Rockafeller figured out a way to use distillates like Kerosene and market it in a way that dropped the energy costs over 90% as compared to whale oil and create the monster known as Standard Oil.

Now that begs an interesting question. Why don't we have refined U-235? I really don't know.

We didn't know we would need it.

Anadarko May Shift Spending Elsewhere on U.S. Rig Ban (Update3)
Share Business ExchangeTwitterFacebook| Email | Print | A A A
By Edward Klump

June 3 (Bloomberg) -- Anadarko Petroleum Corp., the Texas oil company that owns a stake in BP Plc’s leaking Gulf of Mexico well, said it may shift spending on capital projects to other regions after the U.S. extended a ban on deep-water drilling.

Capital spending this year will still total between $5.3 billion and $5.6 billion, as forecast before the April 20 rig explosion that triggered the oil spill, Anadarko said today in a statement. The company said it will consider reallocating money that would have been spent in the Gulf this year to other projects around the world, including U.S. onshore developments.

Good to hear the Bakkan N. Dakota Fields may be developed, but too bad the ban means $$$ investments overseas instead of Louisianna. Bad economic news in a bad economy for the gulf coast. I wonder how many other ways the Obama Administration will shoot itself in the foot?

And if you listen to the politicians in Louisiana, they get the double whammy of losing rigs that are currently in productions thanks to P-BO's stupid moves on drilling, they lost their seafood industry AND tourist industry.

So let's just make it all the harder for people there to make money and make sure oil companies never come back.

This is why many think P-BO is deliberately destroying this nation. He keeps shooting us in the feet. After a while, it's gotten to feel like he's TRYING to shoot at our feet.

And if you listen to the politicians in Louisiana, they get the double whammy of losing rigs that are currently in productions thanks to P-BO's stupid moves on drilling, they lost their seafood industry AND tourist industry.

So let's just make it all the harder for people there to make money and make sure oil companies never come back.

This is why many think P-BO is deliberately destroying this nation. He keeps shooting us in the feet. After a while, it's gotten to feel like he's TRYING to shoot at our feet.

Spot On.

He and his mismanaged administration have destroyed the Southern LA.

Amazing.

I listen to the news and keep thinking the econazis are just dogs chasing cars. They wanna catch one, but once they do, they've no idea what to do with it.

So, civil and criminal investigations have begun against BP. What do you hope to achieve? Put them out of business? Lock up the board of directors? Round up all the investors and send them all to a prison or something for daring to invest in an inherently evil company?

What do you think the consequences of your actions are going to be if you shut BP down? How is that good for you, your family, your locality, your state, your nation, the whole world? BP is a leading producer of petroleum and in that helps keep modern society moving. If they did not contribute their part, what good will come of it?

Do you foresee any problems with your 'solution' to BP? Any unintended consequences perchance? What will happen when production drops?

What then dawg? What will you do when you catch one-a-them cars?:confused:

are you saying that if someone donates a million dollars to charity a year and employs a bunch of people they should never be charged with murder, even if they murdered someone, because of the good they did, or they should never be charged with any criminal acts that they DID or even be investigated for them, because they did a lot of good?

That sure sounds like what your gripe is about and if it is, then i totally disagree with you.

***NOTE

your thread starter post is the only one i have read, so far.....plus a few others, but not the whole thread

I listen to the news and keep thinking the econazis are just dogs chasing cars. They wanna catch one, but once they do, they've no idea what to do with it.

So, civil and criminal investigations have begun against BP. What do you hope to achieve? Put them out of business? Lock up the board of directors? Round up all the investors and send them all to a prison or something for daring to invest in an inherently evil company?

What do you think the consequences of your actions are going to be if you shut BP down? How is that good for you, your family, your locality, your state, your nation, the whole world? BP is a leading producer of petroleum and in that helps keep modern society moving. If they did not contribute their part, what good will come of it?

Do you foresee any problems with your 'solution' to BP? Any unintended consequences perchance? What will happen when production drops?

are you saying that if someone donates a million dollars to charity a year and employs a bunch of people they should never be charged with murder, even if they murdered someone, because of the good they did, or they should never be charged with any criminal acts that they DID or even be investigated for them, because they did a lot of good?

That sure sounds like what your gripe is about and if it is, then i totally disagree with you.

***NOTE

your thread starter post is the only one i have read, so far.....plus a few others, but not the whole thread

No, he's saying that if you bought a Loeffler Randall Cale Boot in Black, and it fell apart and oozed tar all over your white carpet after you wore it, and there was a Federal Bureau of Shoe Inspectors, you might assign some blame to the Feds.

***NOTE

To prove murder, you have to prove they intended to kill. At best you can probably get is manslaughter. Most likely you'll get a civil judgment of accidental death.

Second, trying to tar, feather, plop on a rail and drag off to the gallows for a brief recital of the "Stonegate Jig" is going to do the world no favors in the short term, and probably long term in an essential industry for the operation of the entire world.

My mother used to call it 'cutting off one's nose to spite their face'. That's what these screams for death, dismemberment and destruction for BP remind me of. People demanding the doing of stupid things that only hurt themselves in the end for the short term schadenfreude enjoyment of seeing others suffer more first.

Forum List

Back