BP in violation of Louisiana law - owes half a mil for each dead animal

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by SpidermanTuba, Jun 7, 2010.

1. SpidermanTuba

SpidermanTuba BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +258
    Louisiana Title 56 Section 761

This is a class two violation according to 56:764
    , first which the fine for 3rd and subsequent offenses is $500,000

56:32

Last edited: Jun 7, 2010
  2. martybegan

martybegan Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,944
    The law does not mention death by omission. The statue seems to be more designed towards poaching.

Also what is the defintion of a wildlife refuge, management area, or hunting ground.

Finally the fine is no more than $750 per animal, where are you getting 500k per?

3. Lonestar_logic

Lonestar_logic Republic of Texas

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,505
    Do you know what the word "intent" or "purpose" means?

4. WillowTree

WillowTree Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,700
    spiderman tuba creaming in his drawers..

5. SpidermanTuba

SpidermanTuba BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +258
    Do you know what a "strict liability crime" is? Clearly not, so I will explain it to you. Its any crime where the law does not require mens rea. Examples include parking violations, statutory rape, and the law I just mentioned. Unless there is a part somewhere that I'm missing which says the act must be willful or deliberate - if so, please point it out.

6. martybegan

martybegan Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,944
    Strict liability must be inherent in the law as stated, if not mens rea is required. Also the question of juristiction applies, and federal statues under the CWA already seem to apply.

and the 3rd violation is still $500 to $750, where are you getting the 500k number.

7. SpidermanTuba

SpidermanTuba BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +258
    My bad, I edited.

This isn't death by omission, its death by oil.

And almost all the areas the oil is hitting where there is lots of wildlife fall under the law.

8. SpidermanTuba

SpidermanTuba BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +258
    According to what law?

9. LANMaster

LANMaster Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17
    By your own quoting of the law, BP is not liable the way you claim due to tyhe wording of intent.

Gross neglegence is not intent, Bozo. ;) :)

I know you want the government to takeover BP and all major corporations. It is the goal of all Communists. :D
    I just registered here today, and already I have you pidgeon-holed correctly as a left wing loon, and perhaps even an Obama worshipper. :D Am I right?

BP has HUGE responsibility in this disaster.
    Nobody's going to let them off the hook with a slap on the hand. Nor should they.

Far as boycotting BP for a time, I may even join you in that. There's a few BP stations here in Central USA that I will avoid for a couple years, as I also did with Exxon.

But you must also understand the chain of idiocy that exascerbated this mess.

First thing was the UTTER IDIOCY of trying to put out the fire using sea water. :rolleyes: They successfully SUNK THE PLATFORM which broke the line a mile down instead of at the surfacer where the flow could have been much easier to control.

Secondly was not allowing the oil to burn off, and instaed fighting the fire until it was put out.

Thirdly was the environmentalist IDIOCY of not bombarding the spill with chemical dispersements EARLY ON while the spill was largely localized.

Fourthly is the CONTINUING dragging of the feet of the government not getting the proper booms and other equipment to the spill perimeter until over 45 days after the spill. Obama owns that delay.

Fifthly is the utter idiocy of forcing oil companys to drill in deeper water out of site of the coastline, by prohibiting near shore platforms and drilling in places like ANWR.

ANWR has been ready to tap for 15-20 years. It should have been tapped a long time ago, and we'll need to start now if we're going to open the flow in the next 5 years. The environmental impact is LITERALLY nominal.

BP is in trouble. No doubt.
    But we still don't know who is in charge because the government is out and out neglegent. Obama stating that he is in charge is as hollow as Keith Olbermann's cranium.

:) Cheers

10. Dont Taz Me Bro

Dont Taz Me Bro USMB Mod Staff Member Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17,483
    For the death of an animal? I don't think so. :doubt: