BP gave money in spite of policy

Political Junky

Gold Member
May 27, 2009
washingtonpost.com

BP gave money in spite of policy, records show

BP, the global energy corporation whose massive oil spill is now fouling huge swaths of the Gulf of Mexico, proclaims in its corporate code of conduct that it will "make no political contributions, whether in cash or in kind, anywhere in the world."

But BP North America -- the energy giant's U.S. subsidiary -- has donated at least $4.8 million in corporate contributions in the past seven years to political groups, partisan organizations and campaigns engaged in federal and state elections, an analysis of campaign and tax records shows.

Its most generous corporate contributions -- totaling about $4 million -- have gone to two Republican-aligned political action groups working to defeat state ballot initiatives in California and Colorado that could have raised oil and gas industry taxes, according to an analysis of state campaign reports by the Center for Political Accountability. On the national scene, BP spent about $112,000 in corporate money to boost the coffers of Democratic and Republican party organizations seeking to elect candidates to higher office, primarily the Democratic Governors Association and the Republican State Leadership Committee. <more>

So BP gains billions of dollars in defense contracts without any kickbacks? I'm totally buying what they are selling.

didn't they also say there were only 5k gallons a day being pumped into our waters? Gotta love it. Oh and I am sorry, I have to apologize to them. I have to apologize to a foreign company destroying our country. I feel like a republican now. Yuck.

Yes, they lied. They also took shortcuts in drilling the well that were known to be dangerous.

Forum List

Back