'Boys will be boys'

Delta4Embassy

Gold Member
Dec 12, 2013
Earth
As a fan of some comic series like Calvin and Hobbes, Bloom County, and other 'Americana' type things, I know slingshots and little boys are a thing. Yet seeing a little boy here the other day with his slingshot firing rocks farther than I'd imagine he could throw them I found myself just about ready to jump up and take it from him.

To his credit, he was shooting them straight up (non-parabolic arcs) or into the pond so the odds of him hitting anyone or any living things were minimal. But it still drew my eye and attention and I found myself thinking is it really a good idea to let children play with what could be loose termed 'weapons?'

I wasn't allowed to play with 'guns' of any sort as a kid. Mom being the paranoid daughter of a career police officer, squirt, cap, electronic (lazer tag had just come out,) or anything else 'gun-like' was simply not allowed. And while I did then join the Navy, and then worked armed security, and enjoyed the real thing (in the context of work, once I got out of that line of work I got rid of the weaponry,) I did in fact become, and remain largely pacifistic (as I say, up to the point of imminent personal harm - I can't be a pacifist if I let someone kill me.) :)

Psychologists warn that young children who hurt animals are exhibiting one of the bigger red flags indicating future criminality including serial murderer level crime. And I'd assume 'playing with guns' and imagining yourself killing people is a bit of a red flag too.

We're not allowed pets here at the apartments. So there's no early empathy development for the many children here. Combine that with bored kids (the slingshot boy looked noticeably bored) and little parental oversight (seems the kids here are allowed to play in the courtyard which is the entire inner area of the apartment building which is a huge circle unsupervised) and I worry that I'm witnessing future 'problem-children.'

Since I'm acutely aware of the very worst of humanity I temper my concern for these sorts of things which the awareness I may be letting my 'slider of concern' slide too far to one extreme.
Boys will be boys I tell myself. 'If anything truly worrisome happens I'll talk to the kids' parent(s) like if he actually kills something, or starts slinging rocks at other kids.'

Is this right, or is nipping things in the bud and speaking with parents sooner rather later better? Because I don't fully trust my own opinions defaulting to imagining the worst, others' opinions are valuable. :)

Forum List

Back