Boys missing at sea :(

ChrisL

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2014
Wherever the wild things are!!
Is there no thread on this. I looked, but I found nothing. Anyways, there are two 14-year-old boys who are missing at sea right now. Apparently, they are experienced boaters, so their parents trusted them to be out on their own on a small boat in a rough ocean. I don't agree because 14-year-olds, no matter how mature and/or experienced they might be, are still just kids. Kids tend to make bad decisions and get themselves in trouble. This is the reason why 14-year-olds are still minors. They still need parenting and guidance! Now, I don't want to be too hard on these families because they must be going through sheer hell right about now. I feel for them, I really do. I can't imagine how horrible this must be for them, and I am hoping beyond hope that they find at least one of these boys alive, but hopes are dimming with each passing day. Let's all send positive vibes their way and hope these boys are found.

Search for missing teens Floating object found near boat

This has been a big news story for days now. I figure no threads have been made about it because nobody can find a way to spin it into a partisan political debate.

Anyways, I pray they find these boys alive. Unfortunately it's looking unlikely at this point. :(

I am praying for them too, Aaron. It is an awful thing for any parent to go through. My heart and prayers are with the families. A very thoughtful thread, Chris. They need many prayers right now. The LORD is near to those of a broken heart.

My question is, "How the hell do parents let two fourteen year old boys boat on the ocean by themselves?"

At first I thought the kids did it because the parents told them they couldn't go. Seems that's not the case.

Good God. My parents wouldn't let me or my siblings go across the street. Yet these parents let their kids go boating alone in the ocean??

Its big news down here in Florida and I doubt any trace of those kids will ever be found. Sharks galore.

My question is, "How the hell do parents let two fourteen year old boys boat on the ocean by themselves?"

At first I thought the kids did it because the parents told them they couldn't go. Seems that's not the case.

Good God. My parents wouldn't let me or my siblings go across the street. Yet these parents let their kids go boating alone in the ocean??

Its big news down here in Florida and I doubt any trace of those kids will ever be found. Sharks galore.
My son got his first boat at 6.

At 28, he has never been in trouble, never asked me for money, and been a full grown fuckin' man since 16.

Experienced adults get lost at sea too; when your number is up, your number is up.

Pretty low class to attack parents over this.

Fourteen is not really that young, and it seem the boys have done this before. Also like another poster wrote adults get lost at sea, so this is not uncommon and what is bothering to some is the age of the boys, but being a male, and once their age I can tell you for a fact that fourteen is not too young to be out on the sea even alone, and my understanding a storm came in and was the cause for the accident...

At 28, he has never been in trouble, never asked me for money, and been a full grown fuckin' man since 16.

Experienced adults get lost at sea too; when your number is up, your number is up.

Add Roadrunner to the list of USMB conservatives who are just awesome parents......and never miss a chance to tell you. The key to good parenting...give your kid a boat when he's 6 years old.

Yeah I can't figure the parents out either.

Look everybody, this is really a sad story, and there really is no chance of them being alive at this point.
I wish it were not the case, but let's face it, the odds are really against them being found alive.

Fourteen is not really that young, and it seem the boys have done this before. Also like another poster wrote adults get lost at sea, so this is not uncommon and what is bothering to some is the age of the boys, but being a male, and once their age I can tell you for a fact that fourteen is not too young to be out on the sea even alone, and my understanding a storm came in and was the cause for the accident...

Exactly right. It happens to adults, and I don't think I would allow my child to do anything like that without adult supervision at that young age. However, I did also read that the step father of one of the boys says that they were not supposed to be as far out as they were and were supposed to stick to the inlets. That is just another thing about kids though. They like to take risks, especially the boys.

Exactly right. It happens to adults, and I don't think I would allow my child to do anything like that without adult supervision at that young age. However, I did also read that the step father of one of the boys says that they were not supposed to be as far out as they were and were supposed to stick to the inlets. That is just another thing about kids though. They like to take risks, especially the boys.
I disagree with your take on this. Parents are expected to supervise children so closely they can't explore, take risks, and learn independence. Letting children strike out on their own is risky, but that doesn't mean we should smother them. I like the Range Free Kids movement that I keep hearing about on the news. Kids need time away from their helicopters.

This has been a big news story for days now. I figure no threads have been made about it because nobody can find a way to spin it into a partisan political debate.

Anyways, I pray they find these boys alive. Unfortunately it's looking unlikely at this point. :(
It does not need a spin.......It's oh so tragic...

I disagree. When I grew up my parents would have never let us kids take off in a boat on the ocean.

Not low class at all. Just smart.

It is tragic, and they also should not have been on the ocean on their own. It reminds me of the 7 or 8 year old girl that learned to be a pilot and her parents let her fly across country and she crashed. I can't remember if she died or was just terribly hurt.

Yes let kids go out on their own but biking a few miles from home is NOT the same as getting in a plane or a boat and taking off like you are 20.

There is still an outside chance if they had flotation to hang on and let's hope for a miracle.

yall are full of concern but apparently not one of you has read the story or paid attention....the kids were suppose to stay in the protected bay.....fish in the bay....the agreement with the parents....and like fucking 14 yr olds everywhere....they decided to head out to sea....no one knows why....perhaps they saw a school of fish ...no one will ever know....but the parents did not allow them to go to the ocean....

judge mental fucks

Add Roadrunner to the list of USMB conservatives who are just awesome parents......and never miss a chance to tell you. The key to good parenting...give your kid a boat when he's 6 years old.
Just shut the fuck up asshole.

Forum List

Back