Boycotting Hobby Lobby for anti-semitism? Yes and Amen!

Book of Jeremiah

Platinum Member
Nov 3, 2012
Is Christian-owned Hobby Lobby boycotting Hanukkah? | Religion News Service

I recently learned that Hobby Lobby owner, Steve Green, was refusing to sell any hanukkah merchandise. Mr. Green will sell pagan holiday merchandise for Halloween and pagan holiday of Yule but not anything Jewish. Interesting that even the Muslims I know do not acknowledge or celebrate Halloween or Yule but this Billionaire who claims to be a Christian business owner appears to have no problem with it!

As I was told the store was owned by Christian billionaire, Steve Green, I decided to investigate this story myself. I went to our local Hobby Lobby store and approached the manager. I asked, where are your Menorah's? We don't carry those. What do you have that is Jewish, I asked? Nothing, he replied.

I said, Nothing? He replied, Nothing on order. I said when will it come in then? He said, Our store is not ordering anything Jewish or anything for Hanukkah. I said, why not? He said, I don't know.

He then said, they are "discussing it".. What's to discuss? Apparently this "christian business owner" finds a conflict of interest in stocking Jewish holiday items because he is a Christian. What an excuse! Has this man ever opened his Jewish bible before? The Jews serve the same God we do!

I told the manager at the store, I thought the Owner was a Christian! He said, He is! I replied, No, he isn't!

I told him, I am a Christian and I am highly offended by his refusal to stock anything Jewish in his stores! I told him I am going on the internet to ask for a Boycott of Hobby Lobby too! The look on his face was priceless! He looked as if this would be the very last idea to come to anyones mind over such anti semitic business practices! As if this is no big deal at all! His lack of response utterly shocked me, you guys!

I left the store and went home to look up the story about this on the internet. His excuse is that he is a Christian and felt it conflicted with his faith to have anything Jewish in his stores. This so called Christian Billionaire owner of Hobby Lobby has his store stocked to the brim with pagan holiday supplies.. within view while I was there I saw witches flying on brooms, pumpkins, every type pagan decoration for celebrating the pagan holidays, santas, trees, and christmas items stocked - Yule - another holiday rooted in paganism and yet he must boycott Jewish holiday items? I'm sorry but this man is not a Christian according to my bible's definition of a Christian. An anti-semite? Yes. A Christian? Not a chance.

I have a response for this anti semitic Billionaire, Boycott Hobby Lobby! I don't care if Mr. Green orders 10 billion Menorahs now! I will never buy from his store again.

Clip from article:

According to Berwitz, one of the women asked about bar mitzvah cards, and a Hobby Lobby salesperson replied: “We don’t cater to you people.”

That story prompted Berwitz, who own a market research company and writes the “Hopelessly Partisan” blog, to call the Marlboro store and ask why it seemed to be ignoring Hanukkah, the eight-day Jewish festival of lights, which begins on Nov. 27 this year. He wrote that he received the following response:

“Because Mr. Green is the owner of the company, he’s a Christian, and those are his values.”

Berwitz told Religion News Service that he then called Hobby Lobby’s corporate headquarters in Oklahoma City, and the company confirmed that it does not stock items for Hanukkah, and did not give a reason. When he asked whether the company carries Passover merchandise, he was again told no.

“As someone with a great many Christian friends and acquaintances,” Berwitz wrote, “I can honestly say that I don’t know even one who would see the intentional exclusion of Jews as having anything to do with their religious beliefs.”

Last edited:
Here is another clip:

“I will never set foot in a Hobby Lobby. Ever.” wrote Ken Berwitz, the New Jersey blogger who brought the Hobby Lobby Hanukkah flap to light in a Friday (Sept. 27) blog post.

Berwitz’s outrage has spread to other bloggers who are taking Hobby Lobby to task as a store that courts the general public, but refuses to stock anything related to Judaism — even in communities with significant Jewish populations.

“If they want to sell all over the nation then they must include all people within that nation,” wrote a Jewish visual artist named Abbey on a blog post entitled “Is Hobby Lobby Anti-Semitic?”

Damn, I needed to buy lots of Menorahs and a Hobby Lobby was exactly where it seemed logical to shop for them since I needed some model planes too and didn't want to waste gas going to two places.

Thanks for the heads up, I'm outraged.

“As someone with a great many Christian friends and acquaintances,” Berwitz wrote, “I can honestly say that I don’t know even one who would see the intentional exclusion of Jews as having anything to do with their religious beliefs.”

I think this is a non-issue, as this is like 1 guy talking.

Meanwhile Mr. Green has brought a lawsuit against President Obama's healthcare law claiming it tramples on his "religious liberties".. oh the irony of it all. I cannot believe this story. It truly makes me angry.

See story below on his lawsuit....

Green owns more than 550 Hobby Lobby stores nationwide, all of which are closed on Sunday, the Christian Sabbath. He is also known for his lawsuit against President Obama’s health care law, which he says tramples on his religious liberty by forcing him to insure employees for medical services he objects to on religious grounds. Many legal experts agree the case has a good chance of landing at the Supreme Court.

Meanwhile Mr. Green has brought a lawsuit against President Obama's healthcare law claiming it tramples on his "religious liberties".. oh the irony of it all. I cannot believe this story. It truly makes me angry.

Green owns more than 550 Hobby Lobby stores nationwide, all of which are closed on Sunday, the Christian Sabbath. He is also known for his lawsuit against President Obama’s health care law, which he says tramples on his religious liberty by forcing him to insure employees for medical services he objects to on religious grounds. Many legal experts agree the case has a good chance of landing at the Supreme Court.

A lot of folks aren't too thrilled with Obamacare - including me - and each have their own reasons.

Damn, I needed to buy lots of Menorahs and a Hobby Lobby was exactly where it seemed logical to shop for them since I needed some model planes too and didn't want to waste gas going to two places.

Thanks for the heads up, I'm outraged.

Seriously, SteadyMercury! If the man doesn't have a problem with selling other holiday items / decorations / cards for various religious holidays including Pagan and boycotts all things Jewish? You should be! If you weren't I'd say there has to be something wrong with you!

The fact that this man claims to be a Christian and then has his official company response: That his boycott of Jewish items being sold in his store is a conflict of his Christian faith? I have a serious problem with that one, Steady. This man does not represent me and I want others to think about what he has done here. This is wrong.

A lot of folks aren't too thrilled with Obamacare - including me - and each have their own reasons.

Neither am I, Kevin. That is besides the point! Look at the hypocrisy of someone claiming to be a christian who brings a lawsuit over what he claims tramples on his religious liberty and won't consider the religious liberty of the Jews he has trampled on by applying anti semitic practices at his stores! Do you not see a conflict here?

Last edited:
I'm sorry. I am upset. I cannot believe you people are not upset by this! The guy is acting like an anti semite while claiming to be a Christian! Christians and Jews are supposed to love each other. I would never have a problem with selling Menorahs, Star of David jewelry, decorations, anything Jewish in one of my stores! Something is not right about this man! He could not be a Christian and act like this!

Christian bookstores are known for selling Jewish symbols, Jewelry, Star of David wall hangings, all sorts of Jewish things and this man won't sell anything in his store that is Jewish. He even lied and had his company claim they were placing an order for Jewish merchandise and that was almost 2 weeks ago and the Store manager I spoke with said there are no plans to order anything Jewish at this time. So he lied too. Think about that!

Seriously, SteadyMercury! If the man doesn't have a problem with selling other holiday items / decorations / cards for various religious holidays including Pagan and boycotts all things Jewish? You should be! If you weren't I'd say there has to be something wrong with you!
Negative. I don't believe he has the right to exclude certain people from shopping at his store based on religion/race/etc. but it is his damn store and he should be able to stock whatever he wants.

Jews, in turn, have the right to boycott his stores and/or shop elsewhere.

I think this is a non-issue, as this is like 1 guy talking.

The owner of 500 Hobby Lobby stores in the United States that is willing to carry all kinds of Holiday decorations, celebration articles, etc including pagan - but refusing to carry anything Jewish in his store is a "non - issue" to you? Are you serious?

I'm a Christian and I celebrate Hanukkah. why not celebrate a miracle from God? I'm thinking this isn't a Christian issue as I have never heard of a Christian complain about it, I'd say the store owner has an axe to grind on a personal level.

I'd like to know if Captain Butthurt Jew has any of his contentions in writing, or are all these horrendous acts merely hearsay?

Look for the Jew to soon file a civil suit, even though such a thing is rare in the Jewish world of butthurt.

Negative. I don't believe he has the right to exclude certain people from shopping at his store based on religion/race/etc. but it is his damn store and he should be able to stock whatever he wants.

Jews, in turn, have the right to boycott his stores and/or shop elsewhere.

Well, I certainly hope they do and I most definitely will never step in a Hobby Lobby Store again and will make sure none of my family members do either as they do care about issues such as anti semitism even if others don't. This man is not representing Christianity at all. I'd like for him to admit he is not a Christian as what he has done is very hurtful to the Jewish people. And there were more than one of them that complained about this. I'll have you know.

Hobby Lobby carries Christian items for their holidays, Pagan items for their holidays, they appear to carry everything you could possibly wish to decorate your home for the holidays with...........UNLESS you are Jewish. This is not right, Mr. Clean. Why don't you go to your local Hobby Lobby and see for yourself? I find it offensive.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back