boycott philly and their sponsors..details here

PHILADELPHIA - It's safe to say that if it was not for Tony Dungy getting involved with Michael Vick, the Eagles would never have gotten involved with Michael Vick.

Dungy, who coached the Buccaneers from 1996 through 2001 and the Colts from 2002 through 2008, served as a mentor and adviser to Vick during his bid for reinstatement in the NFL. Dungy and Eagles head coach Andy Reid have been close for many years, and both Reid and owner Jeff Lurie leaned heavily on Dungy as they determined whether or not to pursue the former Falcons quarterback.

"Tony Dungy is (among) only a handful of people in the NFL that I just completely respect their integrity, their honesty and their commitment to doing the right thing in the community," Lurie said. "Tony has spent so much time in prisons, so much time dealing with people that for whatever reason did horrendous things. He was absolutely 100 percent sure that there was an opportunity here if Michael could be in the right situation to do societal good."

Dungy worked tirelessly during his time in Tampa and Indianapolis with inmates as they tried to transition into post-prison life. He met with Vick while the 29-year-old quarterback was still lodged at Leavenworth Prison in Central Kansas after pleading guilty to federal dogfighting charges. Vick served 18 months at Leavenworth and two more months of home confinement.

"I got involved in this process a couple of months ago just by going in and speaking with Mike when he was in Leavenworth, and we talked for a long time about things that had gone on in his life. But we talked more about what he wanted to do in the future, and that was what I was concerned with," Dungy said at the NovaCare Complex on Friday.

"I really got the sense that he wanted to do some great things, he wanted to be a positive role model for young people, and he wanted to give back to his family. And, with that in mind, we made a commitment to stick with each other and continue to talk through things and continue to bounce things off each other.

"Commissioner (Roger) Goodell found out about that conversation, and when he talked to Mike he asked me if I would come onboard on behalf of the league in a formal role and I agreed to do that, I was happy to do that. I was excited to see what transpired. When he got reinstated several people called me, several coaches wanted to ask about my dealing with Mike and my thoughts. Andy (Reid) was one of them, and we had a long conversation about where I felt Mike was, and I am really happy that things turned out this way.

PhillyBurbs.com:  Dungy was main reason why Eagles got involved with Vick

I wouldn't advocate forcing anyone to do community service who isn't subject to further penalty.
Courts often require some type of restitution/conditions/community service after release as part of the sentence. There's nothing wrong with that. Employers such as an NFL team can make community service compulsory as part of the player's contract, all they wish. Which is reportedly what happened here.

The NFL is about alot of things, doing good is one of the major ones. They are trying to turn something bad into something really good. Vick will have to do ALOT of good to make up for the bad. With this job as a visible athlete, it puts him in a position to do maximum good.

Atonement...... Will be a long and winding road for Vick.

vick has every right to earn a living....i have ever right to spend my money with people i agree with ...or at least try too....i have every right to boycott the sponsors and the team.

Forum List

Back