Jul 13, 2007
Diagon Alley
Story Highlights
Dennis Lindberg, 14, was a Jehovah's Witness and a leukemia patient

A judge denied a request to force the boy to have a blood transfusion

Judge: Boy knew "he's basically giving himself a death sentence"

Boy's birth parents believed their son should have had the transfusion

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/11/29/jehovahs.witness.ap/index.html

These Witnesses should not be recognized as a religion since they are nothing more then a cult. I also think the aunt should be charged with atleast manslaughter and child endangerment.

Story Highlights

These Witnesses should not be recognized as a religion since they are nothing more then a cult. I also think the aunt should be charged with atleast manslaughter and child endangerment.

You would be wrong. We all have the right to worship and to believe in the religion we chose. I disagree with the blood transfusion and several other "interesting" beliefs the Jehovah Witness have, but they have the right to have them, to practice them and as this Judge agreed that 14 year old had the right to his belief.

They are no cult. You can not fit them into the definition of a cult. They can and do use scripture to support every position they have. I do not agree with their interpretation of some of those scriptures but again THEY get to believe as they chose.

I agree with RGS. acting like JW are cultists pretty much adds to my atheist perspective that ALL you raving lunatics are no better than your craziest denomination. Making this boy get a transfusion would be like making the amish install airbags in their buggies. He made his choice according to his personal understanding of his faith and died by his convictions. the end result doesn't effect any of you pharisee christians.

If only half of you had the same spiritual backbone to live your own lives according to your accepted doctrines instead of running behind the safe comfort of "we all sin and fall short of the glory of god" every time you need to rationalize some indiscretion.

Story Highlights

Do you even know the Bible passages that the Jehovah’s Witnesses interpret to mean that blood transfusion is wrong? Read Genesis 9:3, Leviticus 17:10, and Acts 15:299. Educate yourself and don’t be so quick to judge. It was the child’s choice to refuse blood. I thought that Republicans were the ones who wanted government to stay out of religion. What's next – let’s prohibit the Amish from practicing their religion.

http://www.uswaternews.com/archives/arcpolicy/2michea11.html

- or are the Amish a cult too - not subject to the same rights as your religion? What is your definition of a cult – that which does not conform to my prefered religious practice? As the “Church Lady” would say - How convenient. Anyway, even if the Amish or the Witnesses are cults, the 1st amendment to the Constitution does not say Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof unless it is a cult…

This is just another example of “mainstream Christians” being intolearant of less popular religious practices. Pick sides and fight.

Hey M14 Shooter:
a judge ruled that a 14-year-old Jehovah's Witness sick with leukemia had the right to refuse a blood transfusion

What do you think of that jurisprudence?

While I agree with the right of the Witnesses to worship as they choose and I respect (though I don't understand or agree with the whole blood thing, along with some of the other stuff) their rights, I look at this story as more of an issue of parental rights. Now, I have no idea why this kid was living with his aunt, but I'm guessing that since it is she who is the witness, not the boys parents, she is the reason he fell into this belief system. Were he living with his parents, I'd be willing to bet that his belief system would have been radically different and he would still be alive today.

The wishes of his biological parents were ignored. What they wanted was not a factor. I have a problem with this where a minor child is concerned.

I agree with RGS. acting like JW are cultists pretty much adds to my atheist perspective that ALL you raving lunatics are no better than your craziest denomination. Making this boy get a transfusion would be like making the amish install airbags in their buggies. He made his choice according to his personal understanding of his faith and died by his convictions. the end result doesn't effect any of you pharisee christians.

If only half of you had the same spiritual backbone to live your own lives according to your accepted doctrines instead of running behind the safe comfort of "we all sin and fall short of the glory of god" every time you need to rationalize some indiscretion.

The difference betwen a cult and a religion? 2000 years.

In NY, I think the Court would have ordered treatment for a minor.

Having seen a young boy grow old and hobbled in his teens and finally die, I have mixed feelings about children being controlled by parent's beliefs. Would we allow the parents to beat them or starve them?

I am showing that Jillian's definition is wrong. Time does not make a religion a religion or a cult not a cult. Her definition would mean that Islam is now a cult.

Fair enough.. Then I apologize if you thought I was poking at your particular faith.

Still, what she said IS quite true. The jews of the New testament rejected jesus and his posse as a cult. All the way until Constantine really. Hell, pretty much every time the christian religion branches off the new denomination falls under the cult status by those of the dominant denomination. Why would the Puritans want to flee brittain if theirs was not seen as an unworthy cult by the church of england or the catholics? Give Mormonism another 100 years and it will be right up there with methodist, lutheran, and pentecostals.

Is Islam a cult? Sure. Just like christianity is a cult sect of judaism. Just like judaism was just another cult in a sea of polytheism in it's early stage. Just like baptists and catholics see Mormonism.

:eusa_dance:
do YOU want to point that finger, mormon?

I'll be the moron...If you look up religion in the dictionary, one of the definitions is CULT, and visa versa.
Hey, can anyone still get in on the action of their own planet and a bunch of virgins without having to wear the wierd holy underwear? Or is that no longer available?

I so love being the devils advocate:eusa_dance:

I'll be the moron

you said it, buddy. You might lay off the caffeine and reread that sentence again.

you didn't make yourself the devil's advocate so much as the devils hemorrhoid creme.

I'll be the moron

you said it, buddy. You might lay off the caffeine and reread that sentence again.

you didn't make yourself the devil's advocate so much as the devils hemorrhoid creme.

Its not the caffeine so much as it is the Vicodin...Hey, cream, paste...whatever. Oh, did I do another typo...oops.
To quote a long ago movie, "The only way to win the game is not to play the game at all". I just realized how much time I have been wasting here on these boards..(There is a few hours I will never get back). I mean really, I have used the boards to rant and let go of some anxt and that didn't do any good. I have tried to engage in meaningful conversation to no avail. I could spend another 20 years doing this same thing and never accomplish anything.
Hey, isn't the definition of insanity doing the same thing over and over again expecting different results?
I think I am just going to pick up my toys and go home. CYA

jillian's 2000 year comment was a potshot at Christianity. it was below the belt and as usual, none of the pc libs posing as real conservative Christians on here called her out on it.

jillian's 2000 year comment was a potshot at Christianity. it was below the belt and as usual, none of the pc libs posing as real conservative Christians on here called her out on it.

Your a retard, There I called YOU on something. Now go get a big plastic bag and a cord, then go play on the freeway with your bag.

Forum List

Back