Boy who refused treatment on religious grounds dies

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Nevadamedic, Nov 30, 2007.

1. Nevadamedic

Nevadamedic Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +178
    Story Highlights
    Dennis Lindberg, 14, was a Jehovah's Witness and a leukemia patient

A judge denied a request to force the boy to have a blood transfusion

Judge: Boy knew "he's basically giving himself a death sentence"

Boy's birth parents believed their son should have had the transfusion

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/11/29/jehovahs.witness.ap/index.html

These Witnesses should not be recognized as a religion since they are nothing more then a cult. I also think the aunt should be charged with atleast manslaughter and child endangerment.

2. RetiredGySgt

RetiredGySgt Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +9,010
    You would be wrong. We all have the right to worship and to believe in the religion we chose. I disagree with the blood transfusion and several other "interesting" beliefs the Jehovah Witness have, but they have the right to have them, to practice them and as this Judge agreed that 14 year old had the right to his belief.

They are no cult. You can not fit them into the definition of a cult. They can and do use scripture to support every position they have. I do not agree with their interpretation of some of those scriptures but again THEY get to believe as they chose.

3. Shogun

Shogun Free: Mudholes Stomped

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,260
    I agree with RGS. acting like JW are cultists pretty much adds to my atheist perspective that ALL you raving lunatics are no better than your craziest denomination. Making this boy get a transfusion would be like making the amish install airbags in their buggies. He made his choice according to his personal understanding of his faith and died by his convictions. the end result doesn't effect any of you pharisee christians.

If only half of you had the same spiritual backbone to live your own lives according to your accepted doctrines instead of running behind the safe comfort of "we all sin and fall short of the glory of god" every time you need to rationalize some indiscretion.

4. mattskramer

mattskramer Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +359

Do you even know the Bible passages that the Jehovah’s Witnesses interpret to mean that blood transfusion is wrong? Read Genesis 9:3, Leviticus 17:10, and Acts 15:299. Educate yourself and don’t be so quick to judge. It was the child’s choice to refuse blood. I thought that Republicans were the ones who wanted government to stay out of religion. What's next – let’s prohibit the Amish from practicing their religion.

http://www.uswaternews.com/archives/arcpolicy/2michea11.html

- or are the Amish a cult too - not subject to the same rights as your religion? What is your definition of a cult – that which does not conform to my prefered religious practice? As the “Church Lady” would say - How convenient. Anyway, even if the Amish or the Witnesses are cults, the 1st amendment to the Constitution does not say Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof unless it is a cult…

This is just another example of “mainstream Christians” being intolearant of less popular religious practices. Pick sides and fight.

Hey M14 Shooter:
    a judge ruled that a 14-year-old Jehovah's Witness sick with leukemia had the right to refuse a blood transfusion

What do you think of that jurisprudence?

5. hjmick

hjmick Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,124
    While I agree with the right of the Witnesses to worship as they choose and I respect (though I don't understand or agree with the whole blood thing, along with some of the other stuff) their rights, I look at this story as more of an issue of parental rights. Now, I have no idea why this kid was living with his aunt, but I'm guessing that since it is she who is the witness, not the boys parents, she is the reason he fell into this belief system. Were he living with his parents, I'd be willing to bet that his belief system would have been radically different and he would still be alive today.

The wishes of his biological parents were ignored. What they wanted was not a factor. I have a problem with this where a minor child is concerned.

6. jillian

jillian Princess Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,439
    The difference betwen a cult and a religion? 2000 years.

In NY, I think the Court would have ordered treatment for a minor.

7. RetiredGySgt

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +9,010
    So Islam is a cult then.

8. Shogun

Shogun Free: Mudholes Stomped

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,260
    do YOU want to point that finger, mormon?

9. RetiredGySgt

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +9,010
    I am showing that Jillian's definition is wrong. Time does not make a religion a religion or a cult not a cult. Her definition would mean that Islam is now a cult.

10. jillian

jillian Princess Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,439
    I was being glib.... the point was that there isn't very much difference besides time/acceptance.