Boy Suspended For Wearing Makeup?

-Cp

Sep 23, 2004
Earth
A ninth-grade student has accused officials at a Southern California high school of discrimination for suspending him for wearing lipstick and eye makeup.

James Herndon, 16, said the five-day suspension imposed Monday by administrators at San Bernardino's Pacific High School was unfair because females are allowed to wear cosmetics on campus.

Herndon says his black lipstick and red eye makeup express the Wiccan religious beliefs he shares with his mother, a priestess in the neo-pagan faith. He contends the suspension violates his constitutional right to free expression.

Linda Hill, spokeswoman for the San Bernardino City Unified School District, declined to comment on the case, citing student confidentiality laws.

Herndon, who is repeating his second year at the school, has worn makeup since he enrolled, according to his mother, Valerie Wallace.

Despite the suspension, Herndon plans to wear the makeup when he returns to school next week.

http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/news/041305_ns_suspended.html

-=d=- said:
My kid would need time off from school too, cuz he'd need care while recovering from the severe ass-beating I'd administer.

LOL - no doubt... :D

The kid needs some serious counseling/intervention, and the parents might just be a tad, too, lenient.

If my son tried that, I'd totally agree with the suspension.

I don't understand why everyone is so upset this boy wears makeup. So many 'rock stars' do. What about the fact that his mother is a witch?! An honest-to-goodness practicing, priestess of the Occult??

gotta love all the religious tolerance we spread around. :blah2:

-Cp said:
A ninth-grade student has accused officials at a Southern California high school of discrimination for suspending him for wearing lipstick and eye makeup.

Wow Cp - you're finding them today!

Where the hell are you surfing? The Mad Magazine site?

Joz said:
What about the fact that his mother is a witch?! An honest-to-goodness practicing, priestess of the Occult??

OH - a WITCH. Guess I misread the first time around and thought . . . well, never mind. But I was going to get all bent out of shape about why that other category has to wear makeup.

Good thing you set me straight, Joz. ;)

I modify my previous statement........and the parents need counseling/intervention as well.

-=d=- said:
My kid would need time off from school too, cuz he'd need care while recovering from the severe ass-beating I'd administer.

and to visit you in jail serving 3-5 for child abuse.....

SmarterThanYou said:
gotta love all the religious tolerance we spread around. :blah2:
I was not going to dignify your post with an answer but I can't let it go. I am VERY tolerant of others' beliefs. And if this is what this woman chooses, that IS her business. BUT this is in direct contradiction to Christ's teachings. I didn't realize you weren't a Bible believer.

red eye liner and black lipstick in LA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!....the liberal LA fashion police had him suspended......black lipstick in the spring....what was that boy thinking

Joz said:
I was not going to dignify your post with an answer but I can't let it go. I am VERY tolerant of others' beliefs. And if this is what this woman chooses, that IS her business. BUT this is in direct contradiction to Christ's teachings. I didn't realize you weren't a Bible believer.
Joz, understand that I wasn't directing my response to you, it just happened to come right after your post. I realize that YOU weren't being intolerant.

I'm looking at this from the dress code angle...They still have something like that these days in public school, don't they?
I could care less about what the kids mother is or does.

Mr. P said:
I'm looking at this from the dress code angle...They still have something like that these days in public school, don't they?

My daughter's (Public) school has a dress code...complete with uniforms, etc. :)

Mr. P said:

Certain schools have dress codes - others do not..

Forum List

Back