Boy Scouts win right to remain in building they built

Afraid to admit you are a bigot? I understand.

As I am not a bigot, there is nothing to admit.

Afraid to admit that you don't respect the individual liberty of others?

Of course I respect the individual liberty of others. "I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend to my death your right to say it." I firmly believe in that - always have.

I do respect the "individual liberty" of the Boy Scouts to kick gays out of their orgranization if they are discovered. That doesn't mean that I don't think that such action is extremely BIGOTED and I do not respect the motivation behind the action.

I am glad you are not a bigot. For a moment there, I was afraid you endorsed the motivation behind the Scout's policy.

Why would that make a difference George? Someone who agrees with their policy towards homosexuals is less of a human? I don't get this kind of thinking. Some people just see homosexuality as wrong for religious reasons and bashing them for "bashing" gays seems just slightly hypocritical.

Link please? No one asks ten year olds about butt sex.

Its about the leaders. Period.

chanel, in the article you linked, it is reported that the Boy Scouts have a policy against "admitting gay youth". Care to explain?

In the 2000 SCOTUS case cited they were affirmed to have the right to have a sort of DADT policy. They don't ask, but if it becomes known.............

"Known"? How the fuck is to become "known" as to a 7 year old who prolly has not yet mastered the basic concepts of human sexuality? And yet, trust me when I say anyone spending time with my cousin -- even in the hyper-repressed fifties -- knew good and well he was gay.

Some male kids have an affect that is clearly feminine. Are you saying these kids don't get grief from the Boy Scouts?

chanel, in the article you linked, it is reported that the Boy Scouts have a policy against "admitting gay youth". Care to explain?

In the 2000 SCOTUS case cited they were affirmed to have the right to have a sort of DADT policy. They don't ask, but if it becomes known.............

"Known"? How the fuck is to become "known" as to a 7 year old who prolly has not yet mastered the basic concepts of human sexuality? And yet, trust me when I say anyone spending time with my cousin -- even in the hyper-repressed fifties -- knew good and well he was gay.

Some male kids have an affect that is clearly feminine. Are you saying these kids don't get grief from the Boy Scouts?

Boy Scouts of America encompasses the Eagle Scouts who are teenagers, and yes teenagers can be obviously gay, as can leaders.

As to do they get grief, I don't know, I have zero personal experience in seeing gays being given grief by the boy scouts, and I suspect you don't either.

It doesn't matter if it is okay with me.

You all are missing the point. I don't give a shit who the BSA wants to discriminate against

As

Long

As

They

Pay

Their

Way!

Wanting free use of government land AND wanting to discriminate is LIBERAL BULLSHIT!

Boy Scouts of America encompasses the Eagle Scouts who are teenagers, and yes teenagers can be obviously gay, as can leaders.

As to do they get grief, I don't know, I have zero personal experience in seeing gays being given grief by the boy scouts, and I suspect you don't either.

I've never personally seen a ten year old's hand getting chopped off. That must mean it has not nor does not happen.

You all are missing the point. I don't give a shit who the BSA wants to discriminate against

As

Long

As

They

Pay

Their

Way!

Wanting free use of government land AND wanting to discriminate is LIBERAL BULLSHIT!

They

have

a

written

lease

agreement

and oh yeah, they built the building and have been maintaining it for 80 years.

Curiously, although the city does indeed own the building occupied by the Cradle of Liberty Council of the Boy Scouts of America, the money to construct the downtown edifice, known as the Beaux Arts building, was raised by the Boy Scouts themselves over 80 years ago pursuant to an agreement signed between the mayor and the local council. Since that time, the Council has paid all costs associated with the maintenance, repair, and capital improvements of the building, with "no financial contribution from the City," according to the complaint.

http://www.thenewamerican.com/index...o-force-local-bsa-to-admit-gays-or-lose-lease

Last edited:

Of course I respect the individual liberty of others. "I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend to my death your right to say it." I firmly believe in that - always have.

I do respect the "individual liberty" of the Boy Scouts to kick gays out of their orgranization if they are discovered. That doesn't mean that I don't think that such action is extremely BIGOTED and I do not respect the motivation behind the action.

I am glad you are not a bigot. For a moment there, I was afraid you endorsed the motivation behind the Scout's policy.

Why would that make a difference George? Someone who agrees with their policy towards homosexuals is less of a human? I don't get this kind of thinking. Some people just see homosexuality as wrong for religious reasons and bashing them for "bashing" gays seems just slightly hypocritical.

It's not "bashing" to call out bigotry where bigotry exists. The BSA has enable pedophiles and like the Catholic Church, is guilty of keeping private files on pedophiles within the BSA. The majority of pedophiles who hurt young boys are heterosexual men. So if the BSA was so "concerned" about pedophilia why hasn't it been honest in profiling them? Why have they kept secret files on them instead of immediately alerting local authorities?

Wherever you find bigotry, dishonesty is in the shadow.

"PC attacks"? Give me a BREAK. OK - let's get to it.

Do you deny that the Boy Scouts exclude gays from their membership? Do you think it is "politically correct" for people to have the outrageous notion that this is, oh, I don't know, kind of BIGOTTED?

I suppose the Scouts can exclude gays. They are a private organization and I guess they aren't engaged in interstate commerce - although I could make an argument that they are. But just because they can do it, does not mean they can avoid the consequences of doing it.

And the major consequence of excluding gays is that right-thinking people will think (for very good reason) that the Boy Scouts of America appear to be run by a bunch of BIGOTS.

"Politically correct" my ass.

i disagree with bsa's decision to exclude gays, but i support bsa's mission. in reality, the only time that a person's sexual orientation becomes a part of the conversation is when that specific person chooses to make it an issue.

that's certainly their right, but to imply that bsa actively seeks out and excludes gays is simply not true in my experience.

How would an organization such as the BSA "actively seek out" and then "exclude" gays?
Are you talking about a sexual orientation question in the membership app? Are you saying they have a "don't ask, don't tell" policy?

can't fool you for long, huh?

i should have said "actively seeks to identify".

:thup:

I guess the definition of common sense is subsidizing supposed private groups and organization with taxpayer dollars

These organizations don't bother me with their positions on homosexuality, their position of using government funds is what bothers me.

It's not "bashing" to call out bigotry where bigotry exists. The BSA has enable pedophiles and like the Catholic Church, is guilty of keeping private files on pedophiles within the BSA. The majority of pedophiles who hurt young boys are heterosexual men. So if the BSA was so "concerned" about pedophilia why hasn't it been honest in profiling them? Why have they kept secret files on them instead of immediately alerting local authorities?

Wherever you find bigotry, dishonesty is in the shadow.

What does that have to do with anything? Are you seriously saying the BSA endorses pedophilia? Come on now.

What a joke. I thought you wanted a real debate , not some bullshit about they should allow homosexuals because they allow pedophiles.

I won't bother responding to you again.

As

Long

As

They

Pay

Their

Way!

They

have

a

written

lease

agreement

and oh yeah, they built the building and have been maintaining it for 80 years.

Curiously, although the city does indeed own the building occupied by the Cradle of Liberty Council of the Boy Scouts of America, the money to construct the downtown edifice, known as the Beaux Arts building, was raised by the Boy Scouts themselves over 80 years ago pursuant to an agreement signed between the mayor and the local council. Since that time, the Council has paid all costs associated with the maintenance, repair, and capital improvements of the building, with "no financial contribution from the City," according to the complaint.

Philadelphia Pressuress Local BSA to Admit Gays or Lose Lease

Thank you for proving my point with a link. Does this mean you agree the BSA should pay their way if they want the benefits of a private organization or are you still in Liberal Land where you want them to use the city owned property for free while practicing discrimination?

Yes...what is up with that? Why the hell are they even asking?

they aren't. they never have. sorry to disappoint.