Boy Scouts win right to remain in building they built

chanel

Silver Member
Jun 8, 2009
People's Republic of NJ
A Philadelphia jury has ruled in favor of the Boy Scouts, meaning they will not be evicted from their home or forced to pay rent, at least for now.

Outside the courthouse, a lawyer for the Boy Scouts, Jason Gosselin, told Fox News the Scouts won on the most important issue, that of First Amendment rights. The jury found the city posed an unconstitutional condition on the organization by asking it to pay $200,000 annual rent on property it was leasing for a dollar a year, in a building the Scouts built and paid for themselves, all because the city felt the Scouts were in violation of Philadelphia's anti-discrimination laws.

Boy Scouts Win Battle in Court Liveshots

Common sense and decency prevails in Philadelphia. At least today. :clap2:

They should not have to pay rent since they did pay for the building, but the lesson the boy scouts are teaching the children is wrong. My son will never be in the Boy Scouts.

They should not have to pay rent since they did pay for the building, but the lesson the boy scouts are teaching the children is wrong. My son will never be in the Boy Scouts.

Horrible lesson. :eusa_whistle:

Scout Oath (or Promise)

On my honor I will do my best
To do my duty to God and my country
and to obey the Scout Law;
To help other people at all times;
To keep myself physically strong,
mentally awake, and morally straight.

Scout Law

A Scout is trustworthy, loyal, helpful, friendly,
courteous, kind, obedient, cheerful, thrifty,
brave, clean, and reverent.

Awful. Just awful stuff. :cuckoo:

Scout Oath (or Promise)

Scout Law

I was a Boy Scout but I had to bow out because I had problems with that "mentally awake and morally straight" portion of the oath... Also when I found out about girls and what fun they could be I couldn't ever remember how to tie a square knot.

Ha ha. But you got the foundation.

That's happening to my 17 year old. He's got Eagle now, and girls are cars are a bit more attractive than building fires with sticks. But he's learned so much and it will look great on college apps. Last night about 20 boys gave up their Friday night to do honor guard for a younger scout who lost his mom to cancer. Don't know too many kids that would do that.

My husband is an Eagle Scout and a troop leader. He is a good man.

Ha ha. But you got the foundation.

That's happening to my 17 year old. He's got Eagle now, and girls are cars are a bit more attractive than building fires with sticks. But he's learned so much and it will look great on college apps. Last night about 20 boys gave up their Friday night to do honor guard for a younger scout who lost his mom to cancer. Don't know too many kids that would do that.

My husband is an Eagle Scout and a troop leader. He is a good man.

We did the Boy Scout thing when my son was younger, but karate crowded his schedule before Eagle Scouts started , but you're right, he learned so much there, well we both did really.

They do not own the property the building sits on and that is the problem. If an organization wants the right to discriminate it should be prepared to pay for the rights they demand instead of asking all taxpayers to subsidize their bigotry. Fucking hypocrites.

Last edited:
A Philadelphia jury has ruled in favor of the Boy Scouts, meaning they will not be evicted from their home or forced to pay rent, at least for now.

Outside the courthouse, a lawyer for the Boy Scouts, Jason Gosselin, told Fox News the Scouts won on the most important issue, that of First Amendment rights. The jury found the city posed an unconstitutional condition on the organization by asking it to pay $200,000 annual rent on property it was leasing for a dollar a year, in a building the Scouts built and paid for themselves, all because the city felt the Scouts were in violation of Philadelphia's anti-discrimination laws.

I think they shyould have been tossed, personally.

But the courts decided otherwise and I can live with that, too.

Scout Oath (or Promise)

Scout Law

Practicing bigotry and hypocrisy negates all of those claims so what's the point?

I'm not sure I agree, chanel. It's a bit disturbing to me that the Boy Scouts discriminates against gay youth as well as adults. I'm not at all sympathetic to the homophobic rejection of would-be gay scout troop leaders, but I can live with it. I wasn't aware, however, that the organization was asking children about their sexual orientation and rejecting those it deems "gay".

That seems terribly cruel to me.

Subsidize bigotry? How much taxpayer money goes to the scouts? Vs. The NAACP for instance?

Let's get real. If gay leaders were allowed to camp with the boys, how many parents would sign their kids up? Yeah I'm sure all those anti scout haters would be flooding the troops and volunteering their time. Not.

Their goal is not equal rights. Their goal is to destroy the organization. Which is exactly what would happen.

What kind of cowards are these? Pedophilia and homosexuality are not the same; why not require the Boy Scouts to do a bit of educating of poor fools with kids, rather than pander to the ignorance?

They do not own the property the building sits on and that is the problem. If an organization wants the right to discriminate it should be prepared to pay for the rights they demand instead of asking all taxpayers to subsidize their bigotry. Fucking hypocrites.

It's not discrimination, it's limiting membership of a private organization and any private group has the right to do it.

Subsidize bigotry? How much taxpayer money goes to the scouts? Vs. The NAACP for instance?

Let's get real. If gay leaders were allowed to camp with the boys, how many parents would sign their kids up? Yeah I'm sure all those anti scout haters would be flooding the troops and volunteering their time. Not.

Their goal is not equal rights. Their goal is to destroy the organization. Which is exactly what would happen.

Gays are not pedophiles you dumbass redneck red herring whore.

What kind of cowards are these? Pedophilia and homosexuality are not the same; why not require the Boy Scouts to do a bit of educating of poor fools with kids, rather than pander to the ignorance?

Can you show me a single quote from any Boy Scout official who is saying that gays are pedophiles?

A few loons aside, this had nothing to do with the Scouts being afraid gays were going to start raping little boys. It's just their religious beliefs, and you have to respect that if you want YOUR rights respected.

A few loons aside, this had nothing to do with the Scouts being afraid gays were going to start raping little boys. It's just their religious beliefs, and you have to respect that if you want YOUR rights respected.

Nobody is saying the Scouts cannot have their beliefs. The problem is they want to discriminate like a private organization but want the $$$$ benefit of a non-discriminatory group.

As for you claiming it is about "religious" beliefs......please don't further embarrass yourself.

Nobody is saying the Scouts cannot have their beliefs. The problem is they want to discriminate like a private organization but want the $$$$ benefit of a non-discriminatory group.

As for you claiming it is about "religious" beliefs......please don't further embarrass yourself.

Look, that other loon may be calling gays pedophiles or whatever, but I've been respectful to you, if you wish to have the conversation fine, if not, go fight with him, I'm not interested.

As for religious beliefs that is EXACTLY what it is.

As for the benefits or whatever, they built the buiiding , they own the building , they built in 1929 and have paid for ALL of the upkeep and maintenance. The ridiculous $200K a year rent figure is based off the value of the building . The city in effect wanted the Scouts to pay full market rent for a building that they themselves owned. What a joke.

Forum List

Back