CDZ Boy Scouts apologize for insertion of political rhetoric into boy scout jamoree

George W. Bush's address to the 2005 Scout Jamboree

But looking back now one day after Donald Trump’s narcissistic, politically-laced, rambling, and discourteous speech at the 2017 Jamboree, something that stands out is that the subject of President Bush’s remarks was scouting. Not politics. Not his campaign. Not bashing his predecessor. His remarks were respectful and appropriate for 30,000 boys ages 11-17, delivered with the dignity of a United States President.

At one point in typical Dubya style he quipped, “When I was a Cub Scout, my mother was our den mother. It’s about the time her hair turned white,” to laughter from the crowd.

Often with chants of “USA! USA! USA!” in the background, the president thanked Scouts for 1.5 million hours of volunteering in their communities, sprinkled in some light-hearted jokes, hailed volunteer Scout leaders, noted former Scouts who were currently serving in his administration, was grateful to Scouts who go on to serve in the military, and expressed his optimism for the years ahead as he stood in front of America’s future leaders.​

If you can't even admit that Trump was just inappropriate here...then that is a sad thing.

So some of the Boy Scouts had snowflake parents?

:lol:

What?

There's a time and a place for the nasty filth that comes from his mouth. Parents should be able to trust what their kids are going to hear, especially from the president of the US.

Bad enough that he said things that wouldn't be appropriate at a drunken bachelor party, most of it was lies.

It was indefensible but evidentially, there is nothing that his 35% base won't defend. Disgusting.

Sent from my iPad using USMessageBoard.com

Trump isn't very good with kids. When his came to visit on Daddy custody visit days, he took them to work with him and threw a couple Tonka trucks their way.
Good thing the kids had good moms.

His adult kids are as dishonest and corrupt as he is.

About their mothers - remember when he said the bereaved Muslim mother and father (the Gold Parents he attacked so viciously) were on tv and she didn't talk. He said she probably wasn't allowed, which of course, was just his usual ignorant BS.

His ex-wives are both under legal gag orders.

Sent from my iPad using USMessageBoard.com

Trump has no boundary's. Worse, he has the emotional maturity of a 14 year old. I am sure that he does not have a clue as to why his behavior was inappropriate. Worse yet, even if he did know, he wouldn't care.

i had to go hear this thing because i do not really care about scouting so i did not pay attention when it happened.....but i think lots of the stuff he said was out of place for a scout jamboree.....but then trump has a big mouth and creates many of his own problems....basically he doesnt know when to shut up....
The adults who complained about this were anti-Trumpers and they were the ones who injected politics into it, imo. What did anyone expect from Trump, really? Reminiscences about his days in military school? Most people in most times would have just used the time he was making his speech to catch up on their tweets and gone swimming after. Or whatever. But it had to be made a big deal of. Like everything else.

But looking back now one day after Donald Trump’s narcissistic, politically-laced, rambling, and discourteous speech at the 2017 Jamboree, something that stands out is that the subject of President Bush’s remarks was scouting. Not politics. Not his campaign. Not bashing his predecessor. His remarks were respectful and appropriate for 30,000 boys ages 11-17, delivered with the dignity of a United States President.

At one point in typical Dubya style he quipped, “When I was a Cub Scout, my mother was our den mother. It’s about the time her hair turned white,” to laughter from the crowd.

Often with chants of “USA! USA! USA!” in the background, the president thanked Scouts for 1.5 million hours of volunteering in their communities, sprinkled in some light-hearted jokes, hailed volunteer Scout leaders, noted former Scouts who were currently serving in his administration, was grateful to Scouts who go on to serve in the military, and expressed his optimism for the years ahead as he stood in front of America’s future leaders.​

If you can't even admit that Trump was just inappropriate here...then that is a sad thing.
Trump failed, as usual, Coyote, but my point is, who expected anything better? He is such a dumpster fire, I guess I'm just wearily asking if it's worth remarking on anymore.

HERE ARE THE HORRIBLE THINGS HE SAID... (ACCORDING TO CNN)

1) "Boy, you have a lot of people here. The press will say it's about 200 people. It looks like about 45,000 people. You set a record today. You set a record."

You got me...I have no idea why this is offensive, and CNN listed it first.
2) "Today, I said we ought to change it from the word 'swamp' to the word 'cesspool' or, perhaps, to the word 'sewer.'"
Again...I guess CNN and liberals think the scouts never heard the word cesspool.
3) "Many of my top advisers in the White House were Scouts. Ten members of my Cabinet were Scouts. Can you believe that? Ten."
CNN apparently thinks scouts shouldn't serve in government
4) "We're doing a lot with energy."
I am lost...I have no idea...even reaching for something to find offensive I can't find it.
5) "He better get them. Oh, he better -- otherwise, I'll say, 'Tom, you're fired.' I'll get somebody."
OMG - The President has a sense of humor...
6) "As the Scout Law says: 'A Scout is trustworthy, loyal' -- we could use some more loyalty, I will tell you that."
CNN and the left of course are offended by loyalty, so this I understand.

So again...this is just the left and CNN looking for something to whine about.

Liberal Democrats would say the same things no matter what Trump said. He doesn't
need to say anything for liberal Democrats to say the exact same thing.

Trump failed, as usual, Coyote, but my point is, who expected anything better? He is such a dumpster fire, I guess I'm just wearily asking if it's worth remarking on anymore.

Dumpster fire is apt. In fact that's how I labeled the whole election. I keep hoping he will do "something" better occassionally. I also find the excusing of this to be very sad.

1) "Boy, you have a lot of people here. The press will say it's about 200 people. It looks like about 45,000 people. You set a record today. You set a record."

2) "Today, I said we ought to change it from the word 'swamp' to the word 'cesspool' or, perhaps, to the word 'sewer.'"
Again...I guess CNN and liberals think the scouts never heard the word cesspool.
3) "Many of my top advisers in the White House were Scouts. Ten members of my Cabinet were Scouts. Can you believe that? Ten."
I am lost...I have no idea...even reaching for something to find offensive I can't find it.
5) "He better get them. Oh, he better -- otherwise, I'll say, 'Tom, you're fired.' I'll get somebody."
6) "As the Scout Law says: 'A Scout is trustworthy, loyal' -- we could use some more loyalty, I will tell you that."

Not horrible, not "inappropriate" as in flashing or cussing, just that he gave a "political" speech to a bunch of 12-15 year olds. A lot of them like him and were very proud he came to see them, and that's good, that's as it should be. The fact that it's kind of like a Christmas present switch up where you get Uncle Harvey's ear muffs and he gets your WalMart gift card, oh well, not the end of the world.

Not horrible, not "inappropriate" as in flashing or cussing, just that he gave a "political" speech to a bunch of 12-15 year olds. A lot of them like him and were very proud he came to see them, and that's good, that's as it should be. The fact that it's kind of like a Christmas present switch up where you get Uncle Harvey's ear muffs and he gets your WalMart gift card, oh well, not the end of the world.

Hmm....here, watch this...I don't understand...you can hear a lot of cheering/whistling/applauding...I didn't hear a single jeer...boo...awkward silence...they seem to enjoy it just fine.

So...it couldn't be that a bunch of whiney parents complained eh?

Anyone ever consider that this function of the Jamboree was a scheduled event and the scouts were REQUIRED to be there? I was in scouts, and I can tell you that before an event like this, the scout masters would tell the troop what would be considered appropriate and inappropriate behavior.

Same thing happens when he's giving a speech in front of the military. Term for it in the military is "mandatory fun".

Forum List

Back