Boy nearly suspended for 2in LEGO gun in school

rightwinger

Award Winning USMB Paid Messageboard Poster
Aug 4, 2009
Two-Inch LEGO Gun Gets 4th-Grader Patrick Timoney in Trouble; Where's the NRA? - Crimesider - CBS News

STATEN ISLAND, NY (CBS) Patrick Timoney brought a gun to school Tuesday and nearly got suspended for it. Sounds reasonable until you see the gun – a two-inch LEGO toy gun.

9-year-old Patrick, a fourth grader at PS 52 in Staten Island, N.Y., says he brought some of his LEGOs to school to show his friends during lunch but when the principal saw that one of those toys was a gun she pulled him out of class and called his parents.

A spokesman for the city's Department of Education says that the principal, Evelyn Matroianni, was just following the “no tolerance” policy of not allowing any weapons on campus.

Thank goodness I stopped my 7 y.o. from taking his little lego creation to school the other day for show & tell. I told him his classroom had legos and they'd assume he was stealing them.

Oh my god he NEARLY got suspended!

This is huge news winger, keep us updated :thup:

The funny thing is...these teachers who are so scared of kids and their legos are the same ones who teach our kids that we shouldn't be concerned about jihadists blowing us up.

The funny thing is...these teachers who are so scared of kids and their legos are the same ones who teach our kids that we shouldn't be concerned about jihadists blowing us up.

I'm not concerned about either.

First let me say that I am all for zero tolerance to weapons at school. Heck, it really doesn't bother me that they included butter knives. But when I read this story, all I could do was to shake my head. How could someone with such a great lack of common sense have been hired as a principal?????

First let me say that I am all for zero tolerance to weapons at school. Heck, it really doesn't bother me that they included butter knives. But when I read this story, all I could do was to shake my head. How could someone with such a great lack of common sense have been hired as a principal?????

Having common sense, and being politically correct have never crossed paths.

Normally, I don't see political correctness when it's applied on these boards, but in this case I can come up with only two possibilities where this makes any sense in my brain.

1. This principal not only lacks common sense, but it totally stupid. No where could she find a definition of 'weapon' that would conceivably include this toy.

2. She's operating on a premise that the concept of weapons is bad, which would be indoctrination and that is political correctness no matter which side is trying to do the indoctrinating.

But if she's smart enought to finish high school, college, and graduate school, it would seem that she'd know this was a doomed tactic. So, here I am, caught in a dilemna.

Normally, I don't see political correctness when it's applied on these boards, but in this case I can come up with only two possibilities where this makes any sense in my brain.

1. This principal not only lacks common sense, but it totally stupid. No where could she find a definition of 'weapon' that would conceivably include this toy.

2. She's operating on a premise that the concept of weapons is bad, which would be indoctrination and that is political correctness no matter which side is trying to do the indoctrinating.

But if she's smart enought to finish high school, college, and graduate school, it would seem that she'd know this was a doomed tactic. So, here I am, caught in a dilemna.

Can't we just write this off as the woman is a moron, and leave it at that?

There's no point in looking deeper into this.

Done!

Except she is not the only one. We have had example after example of ignorance with ZERO tolerance policies over the years. It breeds ignorance and stupidity.

Last edited:

Zero tolerance is just an excuse for having zero common sense.

If I were the parent, I would be outraged too. The Principal makes the big bucks because she is expected to make the hard decisions. If this is the best she can do, then the lunchroom monitor could do the same role.
First question to be asked.....Was there any threat to other students?
If the answer is no, just ask the kid to put it away

Two-Inch LEGO Gun Gets 4th-Grader Patrick Timoney in Trouble; Where's the NRA? - Crimesider - CBS News

STATEN ISLAND, NY (CBS) Patrick Timoney brought a gun to school Tuesday and nearly got suspended for it. Sounds reasonable until you see the gun – a two-inch LEGO toy gun.

9-year-old Patrick, a fourth grader at PS 52 in Staten Island, N.Y., says he brought some of his LEGOs to school to show his friends during lunch but when the principal saw that one of those toys was a gun she pulled him out of class and called his parents.

A spokesman for the city's Department of Education says that the principal, Evelyn Matroianni, was just following the “no tolerance” policy of not allowing any weapons on campus.

I'm amazed. Around here, they are so concerned about that state money they get for kids in the seats that a student can assault a teacher so that the teacher has to go to the emergency room and the kid gets two days suspension.

the flaw in your premise is that you assume it requires intelligence to graduate high school, college and grad school.

look around

Schools are out of control, but you probably have all the bullshit lawsuits against schools for that. something happens, schooll always gets sued even though they are not babysitters.

Anything happens in school, when the school used to handle it internally, the police get involved. it's ridiculous. Irrational fears of some ocmpletely rare event happening makes the schools and parents totally over react. Glad I'm not in school these days.

Forum List

Back