Boy King?

Lotta people flapping thier gums about Obama the "Boy King" meaning he is an out of control despot.

Here are the facts
2009 Obama signing statements...7
2001 Bush signing statements...24

Wouldn't this be a fair gauge of Hubris?

Who was the Boy King again?

Your thoughts?
Presidential statement signing started with Monroe. There have been 250 since Reagan. Not sure where you got 7 for Bush.

Presidential Signing Statements

Obama has been called a lot things, but a boy. He's 49 years old.

2001 Bush 24
2009 Obama 7

I've seen him called Boy King on this MB at least a thousand times.

Lotta people flapping thier gums about Obama the "Boy King" meaning he is an out of control despot.

Here are the facts

Your thoughts?

He is called the "boy king" in reference to Jesus... You know as in "the messiah"?? LOL, your side acted like he was the messiah during the election, and still do now... No matter what he does its different.....

1. He not only continues Bush stimulus plans, but expands them.

2. He not only reverses his stance on the patriot act, but now he doesn't even mention it.

3. he takes us mostly out of Iraq, and sends us back into Afghanistan.

The only thing different so far is health care. bush was backed by oil money, Obama backed by oil money....

But somehow its all different now..... yeah right.. hence our reasoning behind the whole "boy king" reference... A bit of advice... A little less fluff and a little more substance. At least try and get an understanding of the terminology you want to bitch about...:lol:

I guess if you don't understand why people call him the 'boy king', then the OP would be relevant.

Too bad I didn't read this post from cali BEFORE I responded... Coulda saved myself the time spent....:lol: Ditto....

BTW, Bill Clinton made the most of them.... Odd isn't it....

Last edited:

Here are the facts

Your thoughts?

He is called the "boy king" in reference to Jesus... You know as in "the messiah"?? LOL, your side acted like he was the messiah during the election, and still do now... No matter what he does its different.....

2. He not only reverses his stance on the patriot act, but now he doesn't even mention it.

The only thing different so far is health care. bush was backed by oil money, Obama backed by oil money....

But somehow its all different now..... yeah right.. hence our reasoning behind the whole "boy king" reference... A bit of advice... A little less fluff and a little more substance. At least try and get an understanding of the terminology you want to bitch about...:lol:

This thread is about signing statements. Please try to stay on topic. All those topics you mentioned have nothing to do with the number of signing statements comparison in Bush and Obamas first year.

Here are the facts

Your thoughts?

This thread is about signing statements. Please try to stay on topic. All those topics you mentioned have nothing to do with the number of signing statements comparison in Bush and Obamas first year.

HAHHAHAHAHAA!

YOU MORON!!!!

You cried about the "boy king reference. A reference you clearly did not understand. I explained to you being the nice guy I am and feeling you should be stopped before embarrassing yourself again.

READ MUCH???

Clinton had the most signing statements.... You remember him? LOL... So your whole gripe is more party BS... Thanks for the effort though really... Might want to brush up on the vernacular you plan on bitching about...:lol:

Here are the facts

Your thoughts?

it goes unnoticed if the signing statements are done by a president of ones own party, it seems...?

i haven't seen a thing to make me think obama is a or thinks he is a ''boy king'' yet these repubs act as though the world is coming to an end but when bush was president i was certain he was the evil one, the antichrist or cheney certainly was! :eek:

:rofl:

i guess it's someone elses turn to be totally freaked out!

I Know!! (spoken like Craig Ferguson:lol:)

I wonder why in 15 months nobody has brought this fair factual comparison? Well I know why the fundis haven't ..but really ... it is such a no-brainer:lol: Thanks for your input.

If you're comparing "signing statements" then you should include ALL presidents going back to James Monroe. That is, if you want to make a fair comparison. Aand you may want to include the fact that Clinton signed more statements than Bush.

They're idiots.

You cannot have a serious debate with people whose minds are made up.

it goes unnoticed if the signing statements are done by a president of ones own party, it seems...?

i haven't seen a thing to make me think obama is a or thinks he is a ''boy king'' yet these repubs act as though the world is coming to an end but when bush was president i was certain he was the evil one, the antichrist or cheney certainly was! :eek:

:rofl:

i guess it's someone elses turn to be totally freaked out!

I wonder why in 15 months nobody has brought this fair factual comparison? Well I know why the fundis haven't ..but really ... it is such a no-brainer:lol: Thanks for your input.

If you're comparing "signing statements" then you should include ALL presidents going back to James Monroe. That is, if you want to make a fair comparison. Aand you may want to include the fact that Clinton signed more statements than Bush.

Actually the comparison is for first year signing statements. Clinton had around 40 Bush one had about 95. We can go further back if you want. I am too busy to go all the way back.

I chose signing statements as a gauge of how much power grabbing Obama has done compared with recent past presidents. At 7 signing statements it appears he has done the least to subvert the bills he has signed.

Actually the comparison is for first year signing statements. Clinton had around 40 Bush one had about 95. We can go further back if you want. I am too busy to go all the way back.

I chose signing statements as a gauge of how much power grabbing Obama has done compared with recent past presidents. At 7 signing statements it appears he has done the least to subvert the bills he has signed.

Then to be fair you need to include the context of the statements that were signed.

In Reagans first year he had 19 signing statements. So as it appears...That Obama with 7 has been the least activist president by far as it relates to letting congress make the law.

I can't wait until the 2012 presidential debates and someone with a brain starts challenging candidates with facts, like when SS & Medicare go bankrupt. Then add in the total deficit times the rising interest rates.....we'll see who is a boy and who knows what they're doing.

How much TARP money did ACORN get?

I didn't know ACORN got TARP money. Send us your link. I would be interested in seeing it.

You have been shown that before in another thread. Do you repeat your questions like you repeat your findings on 6% of scientists are Repubs?

Spin it anyway you want to. It's your story... No matter how you do it though, Owe Bama is just plain fucked up.

There is no spin..just fact.

Are you too stupid to read?

Yes, he is.

They just like calling him Boy King because they get to call him 'boy' in a context that can't be labeled racist.

whew! Stretch much? It amazes me how the racist left comes up with this shit...... is it your goal to turn EVERYTHING into a racial slur? What a moron.

Oh...in order to stay on topic, I don't see how being called a boy king and signing statements coincide. So I'm not sure how the two can be addressed in order to answer your question and stay on topic.

They call him boy king because, during his campaign, he was described by his adoring media as a young, energetic new face in politics. One with very little experience, but nonetheless very stately and presidential in his demeanor. Soooo...he was young and stately. And now, only 16 months later...he has aged significantly.

Both sides are guilty of labels and name calling. Boy King and Messiah are some of the favorites of the right...and chimp and tea bagger are a couple of the favs on the left.

I can't wait until the 2012 presidential debates and someone with a brain starts challenging candidates with facts, like when SS & Medicare go bankrupt. Then add in the total deficit times the rising interest rates.....we'll see who is a boy and who knows what they're doing.

How much TARP money did ACORN get?

I didn't know ACORN got TARP money. Send us your link. I would be interested in seeing it.

You have been shown that before in another thread. Do you repeat your questions like you repeat your findings on 6% of scientists are Repubs?

And this has what to do with first year presidential signing statements?

Are you too lazy to start your own thread?

Interference like this is not appreciated. Your obsessions, believe it or not, are not as important to others as you might hope.

Spin it anyway you want to. It's your story... No matter how you do it though, Owe Bama is just plain fucked up.

Wow Count, such a solid informed assessment, your clarity is so...well, unclear. Could you explain to me what being "plain fucked up" means?
Now, if you had characterized Mr. Bush in that manner I would assume you meant he was incompetent, or that his foreign policy for eight years could be defined as SNAFU?
Obama has made mistakes, everyone new in any job makes errors, but few were so (to use your term, so well articulated) fucked up as were those made by Mr. Bush. President Obama learns from his mistakes and even admits them and corrects course (something Mr. Booooooooooosh lacked the character to do).

There is no spin..just fact.

Are you too stupid to read?

No spin???

okay then lets look at what your link says about presidential signing statements.....

Q: What is a Signing Statement?

A: A “Signing Statement” is a written comment issued by a President at the time of signing legislation. Often signing statements merely comment on the bill signed, saying that it is good legislation or meets some pressing needs. The more controversial statements involve claims by presidents that they believe some part of the legislation is unconstitutional and therefore they intend to ignore it or to implement it only in ways they believe is constitutional. Some critics argue that the proper presidential action is either to veto the legislation (Constitution, Article I, section 7) or to “faithfully execute” the laws (Constitution, Article II, section 3).

So a signing statement is "a written comment issued by a President at the time of signing legislation." Good or bad, whether he agrees or disagrees with the legislation its just a statement regarding the presidents thoughts, feelings or any trepidation or reservations he may have on it and any thing he may feel is his duty to address. He may also remark as to how he will use or resist the use of this legislation or its assertions.

Now I ask you how is that related to a power grab attempt? A signing statement is just what the Faq's states. Unless the presidents statement says something regarding his intent to oppose this legislation outright or something similar which would show an abuse or attempted usurpation of power not already given by his office the constitution and laws of the United States, this is no reflection of a power grab.....

A power grab would be more along the lines of Executive Orders which contradict, oppose, or conflict with the constitution or laws, or take liberties not granted to the office by such laws or the constitution.

Attributing signing statements to a power grab shows the level of understanding versus the level of propagandizing many people show these days.

Interestingly, there is a few more FAQ's on that page that need to be mentioned here as well.... THanks for the link HUGGY......:lol::lol:

Q: I’ve searched your website for George W. Bush’s signing statements and only find about 140. The Boston Globe said there were 750. Where are the rest of them?

A: In an article published on April 30, 2006, the Globe wrote that “President Bush has quietly claimed the authority to disobey more than 750 laws enacted since he took office.” In a clarification issued May 4, 2006, the Globe note that Bush had not really challenged 750 bills (which would have implied 750 signing statements), but “has claimed the authority to bypass more than 750 statutes, which were provisions contained in about 125 bills.”

Q: Is it true that George W. Bush has issued many more signing statements than any other president?

A: No, Bill Clinton issued many more signing statements. The controversy is about the kind of signing statements Bush has issued.

Q: What kind of claims does Bush make in his signing statements that has people upset?

A: In one frequently used phrase, George W. Bush has routinely asserted that he will not act contrary to the constitutional provisions that direct the president to “supervise the unitary executive branch.” This formulation can be found first in a signing statement of Ronald Reagan, and it was repeated several times by George H. W. Bush. Basically, Bush asserts that Congress cannot pass a law that undercuts the constitutionally granted authorities of the President.

Funny how things like this can be twisted to imply things they do not actually say....

Turns out Clinton had the most of them. And George W's statements they cry about only reminded congress they couldn't "pass a law that undercuts the constitutionally granted authorities of the President."... So he was reminding them of their limits...

And thats a power grab? Thats a bit of twisted logic isn't it? using that logic, we are all guilty of power grabs in our daily lives. Ever had to remind someone at work what their job is and/or its limits? Then using the logic from the OP thats a power grab... Not exactly realistic now is it...

Also, Obama has a near unbreakable majority in house and senate right now... Meaning the lions share of the legislation he will get to sign will reflect that majority. So why would he disagree with most of it or even a great deal of it? They are from the same side for the most part.... he wouldn't, meaning he wouldn't make so many disagreeing signing statements...

The entire premise of this OP is just silly propaganda that actually means nothing in the real world. Signing statements are NOT a power grab, and the fact he is on the same side as a near overwhelming majority in congress shows he would not disagree with very much of the legislation they put forth....

The OP makes a flawed assumption - that we call Obama the 'boy king' because he's an 'out of control despot'. Since that is not true, everything that follows it is nonsense. The term about 'boy king' or 'messiah' etc is about those who blindly support him, not about the man.

The OP makes a flawed assumption - that we call Obama the 'boy king' because he's an 'out of control despot'. Since that is not true, everything that follows it is nonsense. The term about 'boy king' or 'messiah' etc is about those who blindly support him, not about the man.

Being not religeous I do not place the same weight on "Boy King" that you do. That is but one of dozens of lables suggesting Obama is power mad. Trying desperately to reject the signing statement FACTS by being dismissive as you always try as your first line of defense will not work. Do try and stay focused. The OP is about first year signing statements. The "followers" of Obama have nothing to do with signing statements.

Forum List

Back