Boy Given Zero on Assignment

I like the picture.

1_61_040108_drawing.jpg

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,344350,00.html

I'm not sure if this thread should be on the the Law and Justice System category, or will end up in the Religion category, but here goes.

What I don't understand, is how his own drawing is affecting other students and taking away their rights....?

My son got threatened with suspension for drawing a pentagram on his notebook. I told him that it was his choice to attend public school, deal.

My son got threatened with suspension for drawing a pentagram on his notebook. I told him that it was his choice to attend public school, deal.

Well, the majority of kids that attend public school don't have a choice. They're parents can't afford to send them to private school. And where I live, there are no private schools. (in the area). The fact is, this boys drawing did not negatively affect anyone. It was not a political or religious campaign to convert people to Christianity. This boy was purely expressing himself through his art-work, nothing more.

The fact is, this boys drawing did not negatively affect anyone. It was not a political or religious campaign to convert people to Christianity. This boy was purely expressing himself through his art-work, nothing more.

I'm inclined to agree with you on this one. If the information in the article is accurate, then it seems that enforcement of the alleged no-religion policy is sporadic at best and that this kid was singled out specifically for his expressions of Christianity.

I'm inclined to agree with you on this one. If the information in the article is accurate, then it seems that enforcement of the alleged no-religion policy is sporadic at best and that this kid was singled out specifically for his expressions of Christianity.

My first instinct was that the teacher was OTT. But, the question is, did he fulfill the assignment or did he do what HE wanted to do? I don't think that's particularly clear.

My first instinct was that the teacher was OTT. But, the question is, did he fulfill the assignment or did he do what HE wanted to do? I don't think that's particularly clear.

I think it's pretty clear that he did both.

Well, the majority of kids that attend public school don't have a choice. They're parents can't afford to send them to private school. And where I live, there are no private schools. (in the area). The fact is, this boys drawing did not negatively affect anyone. It was not a political or religious campaign to convert people to Christianity. This boy was purely expressing himself through his art-work, nothing more.

Regardless, the kid apparently signed a paper stating he wouldn't do this...it's not clear why there are other religious icons in the school though.

Regardless, the kid apparently signed a paper stating he wouldn't do this...it's not clear why there are other religious icons in the school though.

Yeah I agree that he should not have signed the paper if he intended on creating art displaying his faith (though I wonder if he'd been allowed to even participate if he hadn't signed the paper). And the other thing that you mentioned was the other religious icons. It seems theirs a double-standard going on at that school.

I used to draw demonic images all the time. Then again, this was smack dab in the middle of when metal ruled the world...

anyway, if the situation happened like was described in the article not only would the torn up policy be total bullshit but I give the kid kudos for sticking up for his rights... especially in an art class. His drawing would not restrict any other student at all and only hands ammo to people who are otherwise looking for any excuse to, uh, demonize public education. I'm certainly not ready to confuse ID with science but if a student wants to draw a cross in art class then so be it. If a group of christians want to pray around the flagpole then go for it. If you want to pray over lunch and read the bible in study hall then more power to ya.

For you thumpers that enjoy reading about antagonist educators fucking with christians I highly recommend Frank Peretti's "This Present Darkness" and "Piercing the Darkness" books. Easily the christian Stephen King and worth checking out.

I would have to see what the assignment was. If he was given a zero simply because his work contained a religious element, then that is highly inappropriate and clearly an infringement of his civil liberties. This document she made her students sign is also ridiculous and not usable as minors are not allowed to enter into contracts in most every state so far as I know.

My only problem with this is why do so many Christians feel a constant need to ram their religion down everyone's throat? Why do they constantly want to use every public forum as nothing more than a pulpit to preach from?

Now this is an art class and art is expressive, so this would be an appropriate place for one to express one's religious beliefs so long as it conforms with the assignment.

acludem

I would have to see what the assignment was. If he was given a zero simply because his work contained a religious element, then that is highly inappropriate and clearly an infringement of his civil liberties. This document she made her students sign is also ridiculous and not usable as minors are not allowed to enter into contracts in most every state so far as I know.

My only problem with this is why do so many Christians feel a constant need to ram their religion down everyone's throat? Why do they constantly want to use every public forum as nothing more than a pulpit to preach from?

Now this is an art class and art is expressive, so this would be an appropriate place for one to express one's religious beliefs so long as it conforms with the assignment.

acludem
They are kids. Why do gay kids currently feel compelled to emphasize rainbows and wear make-up/dresses to class? Then again, why Goth? To make statements. It's what high schoolers do? Why is it Christians alone that should be punished?

Mind you, I'm not a thumper, far from it.

Who says he wouldn't have received a zero if his artwork had included a Star of David or a verse from the Qur'an? Of course you don't often hear of Jewish, Muslim or Buddhist students seeking to incorporate their religion in every thing they do when attending a public school, most often (but certainly not always) it's Christian students who seek to force their religious beliefs on everyone.

acludem

Who says he wouldn't have received a zero if his artwork had included a Star of David or a verse from the Qur'an? Of course you don't often hear of Jewish, Muslim or Buddhist students seeking to incorporate their religion in every thing they do when attending a public school, most often (but certainly not always) it's Christian students who seek to force their religious beliefs on everyone.

acludem

Are you saying that Jewish students wouldn't incorporate religious symbols? A Buddhist wouldn't incorporate a zen symbol? Crescent and Moon for Islam? If they chose to, would that be forcing their beliefs on everyone else or an expression of their beliefs?

I'm not saying that these students might not choose to incorporate such symbols, my point is that you don't hear these types of cases involving other religious nearly as often as you do from Christians. And my other point is would she have punished these students as well? The Christian right always makes these cases out to be an attack on Christianity rather than being about religion as a whole which according to the story, this teacher banned use of any religious symbols not just Christian symbols.

To make it clear, I strongly disagree with such policies, especially in an art class. However, I can see where the teacher might be coming from, she doesn't want someone provoking a religious war in the classroom, especially if their artwork were to use religious symbols in a derogatory manner. I think her policy is a bit draconian though.

acludem

I'm not saying that these students might not choose to incorporate such symbols, my point is that you don't hear these types of cases involving other religious nearly as often as you do from Christians. And my other point is would she have punished these students as well? The Christian right always makes these cases out to be an attack on Christianity rather than being about religion as a whole which according to the story, this teacher banned use of any religious symbols not just Christian symbols.

To make it clear, I strongly disagree with such policies, especially in an art class. However, I can see where the teacher might be coming from, she doesn't want someone provoking a religious war in the classroom, especially if their artwork were to use religious symbols in a derogatory manner. I think her policy is a bit draconian though.

acludem
Isn't possible that these other 'groups' are not questioned or thwarted when doing so? You make the assumption that it's Christians pushing an agenda, when in fact it may instead be an administration?

I really don't think that the posted picture was about to start a fricking holy war in the art classroom. Neither do I see this particular circumstance as avidence of christians pushing their dogma onto people. Yes, that DOES happen... but this wasn't it. And, truthfully, jumping to such a conclusion diminishes the accusation. Kinda like calling anyone who disagrees with a jew an antisemite when there really are jew hating people in this world.

:eusa_whistle:

The lawsuit also alleges school officials allow other religious items and artwork to be displayed on campus.

A Buddha and Hindu figurines are on display in a social studies classroom, the lawsuit claims, adding the teacher passionately teaches Hindu principles to students.

In addition, a replica of Michaelangelo's "The Creation of Man" is displayed at the school's entrance, a picture of a six-limbed Hindu deity is in the school's hallway and a drawing of a robed sorcerer hangs on a hallway bulletin board.

Drawings of Medusa, the Grim Reaper with a scythe and a being with a horned head and protruding tongue hang in the art room and demonic masks are displayed in the metals room, the lawsuit alleges.

All other faiths are fine but don't dare be Christian.

All other faiths are fine but don't dare be Christian.

I agree completely...this isn't about Christians pushing an agenda. It's about one student's rights being stepped on while others are let slide. If you're going to restrict religion (which I don't think should be done), do it all the way around. The kid wanted to put a cross and scripture on his scenery artwork, he wasn't standing up in class and preaching the gospel. He wasn't Cotton Mathering the other students to death. He should not have signed the "contract", (though it's invalid anyway--someone can't sign their rights away on a bogus art-class contract.) But I respect the kid for ripping it up in the teacher's face and standing his ground.

I watched to guys arguing about it last night on headline news and they sounded like a bunch of message board posters. All had different information. LOL.

Forum List

Back