Boxing in the USA

rightwinger

Award Winning USMB Paid Messageboard Poster
Aug 4, 2009
For the first time since I was about five years old (Sonny Liston), I cannot tell you who the Heavyweight Champion of the World is.

Boxing used to be the most popular sport after Baseball. Now I don't think it is even in the top 20.

Is there any chance Boxing will still be around 20 years from now?

For the first time since I was about five years old (Sonny Liston), I cannot tell you who the Heavyweight Champion of the World is.

Boxing used to be the most popular sport after Baseball. Now I don't think it is even in the top 20.

Yes, it will be.

All the potential great heavyweights are playing football now .. that division is dead.

The action is from 122-160 lbs these days.

there are too many people in charge of boxing.....fringe sport now....sad really...

"Boxing is dead" - Nietzsche

~BH

i6.jpg

I met a guy in a bar last week and we started reminiscing about the great fights we used to watch..

Ali, Frazier, Forman, Norton
Sugar Ray, Hearns, Haggler, Duran
Tyson, Hollifield

Seemed there were a good half dozen fights a year. Now, I haven't done pay per view in about ten years

I met a guy in a bar last week and we started reminiscing about the great fights we used to watch..

Tyson, Hollifield

Seemed there were a good half dozen fights a year. Now, I haven't done pay per view in about ten years

Yeah, Even the fights in the 90's like Hollyfield vs Tyson (which you mentioned) were pretty entertaining still. ~BH

Last edited:

Tyson, Hollifield

Then you've been missing out in the last decade ..

Morales, Barrera, Corrales, Castillo, Hamed, Mayweather, De la Hoya, Trinidad, Tszyu, Mosely, Vargas, Marquez (x2), Hopkins, Forrest, Judah, Gatti, Ward, etc ....

There's a whole lotta great fighters and great fights in there.

Tyson, Hollifield

Morales, Barrera, Corrales, Castillo, Hamed, Mayweather, De la Hoya, Trinidad, Tszyu, Mosely, Vargas, Marquez (x2), Hopkins, Forrest, Judah, Gatti, Ward, etc ....

Sorry...but they don't have the same clout.

How many of those fights made the back page? How many were talked about for weeks? How many were can't miss fights?

The spark just seems to be gone

Tyson, Hollifield

Sorry...but they don't have the same clout.

How many of those fights made the back page? How many were talked about for weeks? How many were can't miss fights?

The spark just seems to be gone

Pretty much. The UFC now buries Boxing in Pay Per view sales. They also have taken them over in Vegas. I mean, How many more fights watching Mayweather run the whole time can anyone take? Not saying it can't be fixed, but right now they are lowering the coffin. ~BH

Yea boxing is pretty much dead. Not dead but nowhere close to what it used to be. Maybe if they put boxing back on free tv they can revive it.

Like tonight detroit just gained a champion tony Harrison. He barely defeated a twin brother who was undefeated. Now the twins brother who is also undefeated is fighting a Russian. It’s on channel two. Even people with rabbit ears can watch this.

Yea boxing is pretty much dead. Not dead but nowhere close to what it used to be. Maybe if they put boxing back on free tv they can revive it.

Like tonight detroit just gained a champion tony Harrison. He barely defeated a twin brother who was undefeated. Now the twins brother who is also undefeated is fighting a Russian. It’s on channel two. Even people with rabbit ears can watch this.
Been a long time since I saw a fight with any buzz

Probably Mayweather vs Pacquiao which was a snoozer

I still can’t tell you who the heavyweight champ is. I used to be able to rattle off the top eight to ten challengers

Used to watch boxing with my dad, who himself was quite capable. He was enthusiastic, so of course I was, too.
Now, watching someone's brain getting crunched back and forth in his skull just makes me cringe. Gladiator sports have lost their charm. It is a very low form of human endeavor, a poor expression of what it means to be a man. Therefore, it will probably continue.

Used to watch boxing with my dad, who himself was quite capable. He was enthusiastic, so of course I was, too.
Now, watching someone's brain getting crunched back and forth in his skull just makes me cringe. Gladiator sports have lost their charm. It is a very low form of human endeavor, a poor expression of what it means to be a man. Therefore, it will probably continue.

Apparently, you didn’t learn anything from all those hours of watching. Maybe you should have tried it yourself.

Forum List

Back