"Bowling For Columbine" really ticked me off!!

Said1

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2004
Somewhere in Ontario
I watched Bowling For Columbine last night, and must say I was very disguested with the way Micheal Moore misrepresented much of the information presented in his film. I will not spreak on parts which focus on the United States, mainly because I'm not American. I would, however, like some opinions (American view points) on the accuracy of his film.

Thanks

I should have known better, my mother LOVES him:D I have to keep reminding myself the point was shooting deaths, not shootings in general. I know someone who almost shot his daughter's head off with a shot gun - in Windsor. I also know someone who was stabbed in the back trying to break up a fight, outside a corner store in Windsor. Windsor has a very HIGH violent crime rate, it's one of the three cities which has seen the largest increases since 1998, along with Montreal (I forget the other one).

The weapon of choice here seems to be knives. There may be 7 million guns, but most murders seem to be stabbings. My friends sister in law was shot and killed at a mall a few years ago - caught in the cross fire.Now that I think about it, I know several people who were shot, and lived. These shootings were violent acts (accept for one), intending to kill the person. Someone was shot in a bar here last week, the man died. The man who was shot was attending the funeral reception for two children who were killed in a house fire. These poor kids were tied together so they could not escape from the burning house. I think I'll go throw up now.

I also know a women who shot and killed her husband. SHe used the abused women defense (and I don't doubt she was), and got off. She was also convicted of assault last year after hitting her boyfriend in the head with a hammer. They broke up after that.

I watched the flick just out of curiosity. Moore is a lying, misrepresenting, fact twisting, ass looking like 300 pounds of chewed taffy moron. Then I watched the special features part of the dvd and talk about taking advantage of peoples mental states for personal gain, he did a speech somewhere in Denver right after the film came out and just spewed forth vile, vicious, leftist garbage that had no basis in truth. Unbelievable, and I know people who look up to this guy, dumbfounds me.

Originally posted by OCA
I watched the flick just out of curiosity. Moore is a lying, misrepresenting, fact twisting, ass looking like 300 pounds of chewed taffy moron. Then I watched the special features part of the dvd and talk about taking advantage of peoples mental states for personal gain, he did a speech somewhere in Denver right after the film came out and just spewed forth vile, vicious, leftist garbage that had no basis in truth. Unbelievable, and I know people who look up to this guy, dumbfounds me.
thats all hes good at. the movie wasnt that bad. i personally would have never rented it. but jmarie did.
i find that it quite ironic that he is a lifetime member of the NRA, but wants to restrict/ ban weapons. then harrassing store that sold sell ammo. kind of retarded. but in his eye i guess you need to cut off the knees of the problem to slow it down. not like its going to work though.
you keep buying that ammunition from the stores. they will keep re-ordering it in hopes that your dumb ass keep coming back

I was pissed at how badly he represented Canada. If he wanted to give an acurate picture of shooting deaths here, he should have visited cities which have higher incidences. Plus, I would like to see him go into a project in Toronto, at night and see how many doors are unlocked. Instead, he goes into a nice yuppiezed (spelling??) section of Toronto, opens doors during the day, and is amazed to find them unlocked. They probaly were unlocked, but he should go back there a 1am and see if they are still unlocked - just to set the record straight.

You're right Johnny, he did have some good points, but I found myself really questioning some of the facts/interpretations he presented.

shit you dont expect him to site accurate info do you? and make his self look like an assmunch? mroe than he is anyway

Instead of twisting facts around to support his arguements - sounds like familiar tactic, have I heard of this technique before???

I think the worse was how he misrepresented Canadians. Just a side note for those of you who watched the movie. Don't just walk into a Canadian's house. We will not be amused... :D

notice he didnt do that in the US? thats because he didnt want to finish the movie from a hospital bed

I saw the movie because it was kicked out of theatres here in Fayetteville and made me curious. There were some contradicting points in the movie, mainly that Moore thought that guns should be outlawed in the US, which he kind of proved is not a necessary remedy with all of his stats about how Canadians don't shoot each other even though they have as many guns.

Another thing was that he was opening doors during the daytime when people are home. I know my house is rarely locked when I'm home.

Also, the thing where he says how welfare to work is a terrible program was complete BS and blatant partisanship.

I'll bet Isaac Brook and Said1 didn't like how he showed that canadian 'breaking news' was new speedbumps. :rotflmao:

Originally posted by Palestinian Jew
"There were some contradicting points in the movie, mainly that Moore thought that guns should be outlawed in the US, which he kind of proved is not a necessary remedy with all of his stats about how Canadians don't shoot each other even though they have as many guns."

I'll bet Isaac Brook and Said1 didn't like how he showed that canadian 'breaking news' was new speedbumps. :rotflmao:

I don't know what to say about that, just another example of selective fact presenting. I've never seen anything like that as a breaking news story, but I suppose it's possible. Slow news day I guess :D Not that I'm complaining.

He said 10 million "Families" 7 million guns. There is actually more gun owners than that - don't single people own guns?

I don't think work for welfare programs are the worst thing in the world. I work for a family support program, and I encounter many mothers who are well into their 30s, and have never held a job. For people who need to learn a few skills, a short term job placement is a good thing, something to put on your resume. I think More's point had more to with the fact that the mother had to spend a lot of time travelling to and from the placement, taking time away from supervising her son properly.

i dont think he is seeing the big picture. its the fact that shes working. i can understand that it would be a pain in the ass to get up early to go to work and get back late. but thats just a part of life. shes not draining us with being on some type of public aide. shes trying to support herself and her child

Originally posted by Johnney
i dont think he is seeing the big picture. its the fact that shes working. i can understand that it would be a pain in the ass to get up early to go to work and get back late. but thats just a part of life. shes not draining us with being on some type of public aide. shes trying to support herself and her child

Your half right. Getting up early and not getting home until late is part of life for a single working mother. One of Moore's points was about the distance this woman needed to go in order to get the job. You didn't find the amount of time she spent travelling a little overboard? I was under the impression she was working for her check? This would more than likely mean that state is paying her so much and the employer is paying her so much (which they get a tax break for) - the combined total being $8.50hr. If this is similar to how the program works, she is still, technally a drain, and probably away from home for around 12+ hours a day.

all you guys have done is bashed him and called him names. Doesn't really help your case to convince people about him.

Forum List

Back