Bought a new computer this weekend

Trinity

VIP Member
Jun 16, 2004
We got a new computer this weekend, and of course my husband did everything I told him not to do. I said don't buy a HP because you will not be able to put in a new graphics card yourself later on down the road. He's into gaming. Don't buy the extended warranty they come with manufactor's warranty. So what's he do, everything I said not to do, this is what he got.

He says they told him at the store this was the best gaming computer he could buy.

So what do you think..........................

HP Pavilion Desktop PC (A810N)
HP A810N • AMD Athlon™ 64 3000+
• 160GB hard drive
• 512MB RAM • Dual-layer DVD+/-RW drive
• 7 USB 2.0 & 2 FireWire
• 9-in-1 media reader

Processor
Processor brand AMD
Processor type Athlon™ 64
Processor speed 2.4GHz
Level 2 cache 256KB
Memory
RAM 512MB PC3200 DDR SDRAM
RAM expandable to: 2GB
Storage/Drives
Hard drive size 160GB 7200RPM Ultra DMA
Expansion
Total expansion slots 3 PCI, 1 AGP
Available expansion slots 2 PCI, 1 AGP
Ports
USB 7 USB 2.0 (3 front/4 rear)
FireWire 2 (1 front/1 rear)
Parallel port 1
Serial port 1
Internet/networking
Network Interface Card (NIC) Yes
Audio
Audio card Integrated audio
Speaker type N/A
Input devices
Keyboard HP Internet
Pointing device HP scroll mouse

khafley said:
We got a new computer this weekend, and of course my husband did everything I told him not to do. I said don't buy a HP because you will not be able to put in a new graphics card yourself later on down the road. He's into gaming. Don't buy the extended warranty they come with manufactor's warranty. So what's he do, everything I said not to do, this is what he got.

He says they told him at the store this was the best gaming computer he could buy.

HP Pavilion Desktop PC (A810N)
HP A810N • AMD Athlon™ 64 3000+
• 160GB hard drive
• 512MB RAM • Dual-layer DVD+/-RW drive
• 7 USB 2.0 & 2 FireWire
• 9-in-1 media reader

Processor
Processor brand AMD
Processor type Athlon™ 64
Processor speed 2.4GHz
Level 2 cache 256KB
Memory
RAM 512MB PC3200 DDR SDRAM
RAM expandable to: 2GB
Storage/Drives
Hard drive size 160GB 7200RPM Ultra DMA
Expansion
Total expansion slots 3 PCI, 1 AGP
Available expansion slots 2 PCI, 1 AGP
Ports
USB 7 USB 2.0 (3 front/4 rear)
FireWire 2 (1 front/1 rear)
Parallel port 1
Serial port 1
Internet/networking
Network Interface Card (NIC) Yes
Audio
Audio card Integrated audio
Speaker type N/A
Input devices
Keyboard HP Internet
Pointing device HP scroll mouse

HP is awful in making it impossible to upgrade things you may wish to upgrade later. The computer sounds nice though.

khafley said:

Well, what anyone here thinks makes no difference at all. You have a new computer, like it or not.
The only thing I can say without hesitation is, he pissed the $$ for the extended warranty down the toilet.

well............i would suggest you give him a hug..tell him you love him...then re-deocorate a room of your choice and don't consult him

manu1959 said:
then re-deocorate a room of your choice and don't consult him

I am actually in the middle of doing that right now!!! :rotflmao:

i think, for the most part anyway, computer companies make decent package machines for the basic user. and by basic i mean someone whose not a programmer or grafix artits, or web designer. someone who writes emails and surfs the web for whatever, or keeps track of bills and so on, its a good deal for them.

like my main desk top it powerful because i do web design, so i built it myself from the screws up.

Forum List

Back