Both Indiana Senators asked to oppose Geithner appointment

American Horse

AKA "Mustang"
Jan 23, 2009
The Hoosier Heartland
Due to strong concerns I have about the nomination of Timothy Geithner and the pending approval by the U.S. Senate of his appointment as Treasury Secretary, I have faxed to the below U.S. Senators from the state of Indiana (but seperately) as follows:

January 25, 2009

The Honorable Senator Richard Lugar
306 Hart Senate Office Building
Washington, D.C. 20510
Fax (202) 228-0360

January 25, 2009

The Honorable Senator Evan Bayh.
463 Russell Building.
Washington, DC 20510
Fax (202) 228-0655

Dear Senator Lugar
Dear Senators Bayh

No nominee should be confirmed to any government office that by his actions has been shown, clearly and intentionally, to violate the applicable laws and regulations which he would be required to enforce in the performance of his appointed duties.

A “yes” vote to confirm Mr. Timothy F. Geithner as Secretary of the Treasury can only be seen as an egregiously cynical vote and would be a failure of your duty to the citizens of the state you represent. I hope you will honor your commitment to do your duty and vote “no” to his confirmation.

Respectfully,

Signed:

I "faxed" my letter(s) because I have found in the past that faxes get a prompt reply of some kind or another. Those who support his appointment may want to contact their own U.S. Senators, and those who wish to oppose it may want to contact them in that regard also.

My own letters of communication come after long consideration that I must speak out to the decision makers in Washington. I understand that this is little more than of statistical value, but hopefully it is part of a much larger pattern to hold them responsible for their votes. Your own senators addresses and fax numbers are avaiable with a quick search on the internet.

My letter above is not a form letter, nor is it intended to presume to reflect the opinions of others on the matter. It is/was simply the briefest form for me to express my concerns prior to the U.S. Senate confirmation vote for Geithner.

That vote is scheduled for Monday evening, January 26. You will be able to watch it as it is recorded on C-SPAN 2 (The U.S. Senate proceedings). It would be useful to watch and make a mental note on how this goes down. There is also time for concerned citizens to 'lobby' their senator on this vote if you believe like I do that honesty is paramount in cabinet appointments. We will reap what we sow.

You mean Democrats should be held accountable for breaking the law and not given a job that oversees the very laws they broke? What fantasy world do you live in?

You mean Democrats should be held accountable for breaking the law and not given a job that oversees the very laws they broke? What fantasy world do you live in?

If it can be proven that Timothy Geithner's intention was to defraud on his taxes, then obviously he should NOT be appointed to office.

In that case he should be charged with a crime and treated exactly like anybody else would be given the nature of his actions.

Has it ever crossed your mind that posts like that make it impossible to actually discuss the merits of the actual issue?

Just wondering. But I guess it depends on what you're here to do.

Has it ever crossed your mind that posts like that make it impossible to actually discuss the merits of the actual issue?

Lets see, every YEAR he failed to pay those taxes he was told it was his responsibility and he received PAYMENT to cover the cost. He signed at least one statement a YEAR acknowledging he understood he was receiving compensation for paying those taxes.

SO either he knowingly broke the law and should not be the Treasury Secretary OR he is too damn STUPID to be trusted to run th Department of the treasury.

You pick which it is.

Lets see, every YEAR he failed to pay those taxes he was told it was his responsibility and he received PAYMENT to cover the cost. He signed at least one statement a YEAR acknowledging he understood he was receiving compensation for paying those taxes.

SO either he knowingly broke the law and should not be the Treasury Secretary OR he is too damn STUPID to be trusted to run th Department of the treasury.

You pick which it is.

Well, at least that's a reasonable argument for why the man should not be appointed to that high office.

It's exactly the same argument I've been using for years for why Bush II should have been removed from office.

The incompentence or criminality agrument is a rather tough argument to overcome in cases like these.

Pot - Kettle - Black.

The Senate earlier approved his nomination by a 60-34 vote.

Here's a link to MSNBC coverage

“Ten Republicans overlooked that matter and voted for confirmation. One Republican, Sen. Arlen Specter of Pennsylvania, told reporters earlier in the day that he would vote yes, only to change his mind and vote no.

Three Democrats and one independent voted against Geithner's confirmation, including Sen. Robert C. Byrd, D-W.Va., the longest-serving senator in history.
"Had he not been nominated for treasury secretary, it's doubtful that he would have ever paid these taxes," Byrd said in a statement.

The 10 Republicans who voted yes were Sens. Bob Corker of Tennessee, John Cornyn of Texas, Mike Crapo of Idaho, John Ensign of Nevada, Lindsey Graham of South Carolina, Judd Gregg of New Hampshire, Hatch of Utah, Richard Shelby of Alabama, Olympia Snowe of Maine and George Voinovich of Ohio.
The Democrats voting no were Sens. Byrd, Russell Feingold of Wisconsin and Harkin of Iowa. Also voting no was Sen. Bernie Sanders, I-Vt., who caucuses with Democrats.

Sens. Kit Bond, R-Mo., Sherrod Brown, D-Ohio, Edward M. Kennedy, D-Mass. and Ron Wyden, D-Ore., were absent. Senate seats representing Minnesota and New York are vacant.”

In my own state of Indiana, Lugar voted "nay" and Bayh voted "yay"
Lugar votes 80% pro small business (that tendency was why I donated to his first senate campaign in 1976), and Bayh votes about 20% in favor of small business (which is why I generally tend to vote agains him) As of now I have not heard back from either regarding my letters faxed on the 25th.

Forum List

Back