Boston college is Gracious to DR Rice

Bonnie

Jun 30, 2004
Wherever
By BRANDIE M. JEFFERSON
Associated Press Writer

BOSTON

A few students turned their backs but more stood to applaud as Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice received an honorary degree and addressed graduates at Boston College on Monday.

After weeks of turmoil and anti-war protests over Rice's invitation to address the Catholic school, Rice told graduates that their education comes with responsibilities.

She drew scattered applause when she discussed what she called a "commitment to reason," or an obligation to test and challenge their own views.

"There is nothing wrong with holding an opinion and holding it passionately," Rice said, "but at those times when you are absolutely sure you're right, go find someone who disagrees."

About 50 students stood with their backs toward the stage as Rice was introduced to give her commencement speech, but they were quickly drowned out by a standing ovation.

A half-dozen signs that said "Not in my name" were held in the air by students, who sat down by the time Rice started to speak. One banner that said "BC honors lies and torture" was held on the side of the stadium, away from where the students were sitting.

Other students cheered Rice, and an Internet broadcast of the ceremony included a shot of a student, talking on his cell phone, with an "I Like Condi" button pinned to his graduation cap.

Earlier Monday, Rice said she understands why students and faculty planned to protest, and she embraced their right to object even as she defended the war in Iraq.

"People have the right to protest, but I hope when they protest they realize also that people now have a right to protest in Baghdad and Kabul, and that's a very big breakthrough for the international community," Rice said Monday before the BC commencement.

"I think it's just fine for people to protest as long as they do so in a way that doesn't try to have a monopoly on the conversation," Rice told WBZ-AM in an interview. "Others have right to say what they think as well."

Ever since Boston College announced earlier this month that Rice would speak at the school's graduation and receive an honorary degree, reaction has ranged from outrage to enthusiasm.

"We are very concerned as Catholics that Boston College has invited Condoleezza Rice, who is an architect of this foreign policy and war. ... That is hardly something to honor," said Brayton Shanley, a BC alumnus and co-founder of Agape, a lay Catholic organization that has been working with students to organize the protests.

At the ceremony Monday, demonstrators planned to wear black armbands and turn their backs when Rice is awarded an honorary law degree. Students also will hand out leaflets and stickers with messages, including "Not in my name" and "No honorary degree."

University spokesman Jack Dunn told the student newspaper, The Heights, that all have agreed to keep their protests respectful and not disrupt the ceremonies.

University officials also expect protests off-campus.

A letter written by two theology professors, and signed by more than 10 percent of the faculty, kicked off the opposition to Rice.

"On the levels of both moral principle and practical moral judgment, Secretary Rice's approach to international affairs is in fundamental conflict with Boston College's commitment to the values of the Catholic and Jesuit traditions and is inconsistent with the humanistic values that inspire the university's work," the letter said.

The Rev. David Hollenbach, one of the letter writers, has said he has no objection to Rice speaking, but said she doesn't deserve an honorary degree.

Steve Almond, an adjunct writing professor, resigned from his post over the matter.

"I think Americans have lost sight of the idea of sacrifice," he said. "This is a relatively small sacrifice for me."

Rice said the use of force in Iraq was "the right thing."

"I'm not surprised that there was controversy, but my understanding is that there are views on both sides of the issue," she said Sunday at meeting with a small group of reporters.

http://www.townhall.com/news/ap/online/gov/cabinet-state-pentagon/D8DSLC4G9.html

Bonnie said:

I think it's funny how the Catholics at BC are throwing religion at the religious right as a means to degrade what they've done in Iraq. It's sort of ironic, since God did tell Bush to invade Iraq.

Regardless, though, this has made me think about how I would react to a speaker such as Rice or Mccaine. I'm going to be a sophomore at nyu which is right next to the New School where Mccaine recently gave a speech at graduation. I heard that they were brutal and I would expect a similar reaction if he came to my school.

Personally, I've always believed that a graceful protest is more beneficial than screaming obscenities. If we act like adults, our message is received and comprehended. When students simply scream and yell and act like immature children, then that is how they are treated. Their message is attributed to the traditional, young college liberal who doesn't know any better and can't control himself.

After a year in college, I must say that students who understand the political climate are not just talking out of their asses as many would perceive them to be. There is substance behind their words. But when immature action overrides the message itself, all college liberals get a bad name.

liberalogic said:
I think it's funny how the Catholics at BC are throwing religion at the religious right as a means to degrade what they've done in Iraq. It's sort of ironic, since God did tell Bush to invade Iraq.

Regardless, though, this has made me think about how I would react to a speaker such as Rice or Mccaine. I'm going to be a sophomore at nyu which is right next to the New School where Mccaine recently gave a speech at graduation. I heard that they were brutal and I would expect a similar reaction if he came to my school.

Personally, I've always believed that a graceful protest is more beneficial than screaming obscenities. If we act like adults, our message is received and comprehended. When students simply scream and yell and act like immature children, then that is how they are treated. Their message is attributed to the traditional, young college liberal who doesn't know any better and can't control himself.

After a year in college, I must say that students who understand the political climate are not just talking out of their asses as many would perceive them to be. There is substance behind their words. But when immature action overrides the message itself, all college liberals get a bad name.

It is a true shame that simple things like respect are lost in today's youth and society.

You know what? You can disagree. Hate the individual and what he/she stands for. But would it kill you (not you specifically..but then again..maybe) to sit there, shut up, show the person respect and then go on your merry way?

Would it kill you to do that?

GotZoom said:
It is a true shame that simple things like respect are lost in today's youth and society.

You know what? You can disagree. Hate the individual and what he/she stands for. But would it kill you (not you specifically..but then again..maybe) to sit there, shut up, show the person respect and then go on your merry way?

Would it kill you to do that?

I find it far more interesting that respect is something that's only supposed to be shown to conservatives...but in talking about dems, the nastiest that Annie Coulter can throw out there is found "acceptable".

Maybe it should go both ways? Personally, I think there's an appropriate place for protest and an appropriate place to keep one's disagreements internalized. But my line may be different from someone else's.

jillian said:
I find it far more interesting that respect is something that's only supposed to be shown to conservatives...but in talking about dems, the nastiest that Annie Coulter can throw out there is found "acceptable".

Maybe it should go both ways? Personally, I think there's an appropriate place for protest and an appropriate place to keep one's disagreements internalized. But my line may be different from someone else's.

I agree 100% that it should go both ways. Respect is respect. Young people, middle age, elderly...it doesn't matter.

If a student doesn't like the college's choice for speaker, oh well. There are going to be many other things in life that will be disliked.

Deal with it.

Just as the student should respect the speaker, the speaker should respect the students. This is a graduation ceremony. A chance to motivate the students to go out and make a name for themselves. Work hard, make a nice living, have a wonderful family, love their children, etc. The speaker shouldn't use this platform as something to further a political agenda.

It has all become very out of control. And that is a shame.

GotZoom said:
I agree 100% that it should go both ways. Respect is respect. Young people, middle age, elderly...it doesn't matter.

If a student doesn't like the college's choice for speaker, oh well. There are going to be many other things in life that will be disliked.

Deal with it.

Just as the student should respect the speaker, the speaker should respect the students. This is a graduation ceremony. A chance to motivate the students to go out and make a name for themselves. Work hard, make a nice living, have a wonderful family, love their children, etc. The speaker shouldn't use this platform as something to further a political agenda.

It has all become very out of control. And that is a shame.

I think we're on the same page on this one. Well said.

If it's a political venue, then yes, by all means dissent. But if it's a graduation, the academy awards or the like, then I think respect on both sides is warranted. Then only if the speaker digresses into the political or disrespectful should the audience respond accordingly.

jillian said:

Your standards don't really matter, because we each must formulate our own version of right and wrong. :rolleyes:

jillian said:

I seem to remember a pie being thrown in Coulter's face at a university she was speaking at. What's more interesting to me is how liberals deal with conservatives, there seems to be more of an acceptance to prevent conservative an open venue before they even get a chance to speak. Maybe liberals should find new tactics in discenting as you say, or at least wait until everyone has had their say then disagree?

Bonnie said:
I seem to remember a pie being thrown in Coulter's face at a university she was speaking at. What's more interesting to me is how liberals deal with conservatives, there seems to be more of an acceptance to prevent conservative an open venue before they even get a chance to speak. Maybe liberals should find new tactics in discenting as you say, or at least wait until everyone has had their say then disagree?

I didn't think the pie thing was appropriate either.

That said, having Annie speak is, by definition, a political statement and is fair game for response, protest and any other type of dissent. She has no other value EXCEPT for her extremist pov. Huge difference since Annie is, for sure, not going to do anything but rant and rave about politics. Or do you think she has some other value?

jillian said:
I didn't think the pie thing was appropriate either.

That said, having Annie speak is, by definition, a political statement and is fair game for response, protest and any other type of dissent. She has no other value EXCEPT for her extremist pov. Huge difference since Annie is, for sure, not going to do anything but rant and rave about politics. Or do you think she has some other value?

I think she has the right to speak, she was invited to do so. Anyone has the right the speak, or don't you agree with that? She has the right to speak, and others have the right to dissent. Pie throwing was way out of bounds no matter what her politics are.

Bonnie said:
I think she has the right to speak, she was invited to do so. Anyone has the right the speak, or don't you agree with that? She has the right to speak, and others have the right to dissent. Pie throwing was way out of bounds no matter what her politics are.

Yeah...I think I said that. You're preaching to the chior ;)

jillian said:
Yeah...I think I said that. You're preaching to the chior ;)

You also said this

Seems like here you are stating because of her politcs she is fair game to have a pie in the face, and many do find value in what she says. She was asked to speak about politics. What else is she there for, to compare recipies??

Bonnie said:
You also said this

Seems like here you are stating because of her politcs she is fair game to have a pie in the face, and many do find value in what she says. She was asked to speak about politics. What else is she there for, to compare recipies??

Nope. I first said the pie thing was inappropriate. There are more effective, appropriate and convincing ways to have your say than by assaulting someone.

Bonnie said:

Amen--I think that a right to hear goes hand in hand with the right of free speech. If I go to hear her speak, everyone who doesn't like her needs to shut up until she's done. Wait you fricking turn. :finger:

Forum List

Back