Boris Johnson to pass anti-BDS law, official says

The fact remains that Israel has no official state religion and it is a liberal democracy in which every citizen, Jew, Arab, Christian, etc., is equal under the law, that means there are "no preferences allowed based on religion".
Jewish Israeli citizens are permitted to claim Israeli nationality.

Israel is, of course, both a secular state and a Jewish state. It is a Jewish state only in the sense it is the homeland of the Jews, meaning all Jews can emigrate to Israel, and it is a secular state in the sense that it is a liberal democracy that treats all citizens equally under the law and protects minorities.
No. Arab citizens of Israel are not permitted to claim Israeli nationhood.
lol Israel is a liberal democracy in which all citizens have the same rights. The nation state law changed nothing, but it did provide anti semites with a new pretext for trying to justify their irrational hostility toward Israel.

The fact remains that Israel has no official state religion and it is a liberal democracy in which every citizen, Jew, Arab, Christian, etc., is equal under the law, that means there are "no preferences allowed based on religion".
Jewish Israeli citizens are permitted to claim Israeli nationality.
lol There is no law against anyone claiming Israeli nationality.

A state is a legal entity that occupies a certain area of land, but a nation is a group of people who identify as with each other on the basis shared values and who see themselves as a political entity.
Sometimes hasbara disappears up its own arsehole...

nation
(Entry 1 of 2)

1a(1) : nationality sense 5a three Slav peoples … forged into a Yugoslavia without really fusing into a Yugoslav nation— Hans Kohn

(2) : a politically organized nationality

(3) : a non-Jewish nationality why do the nations conspire — Psalms 2:1 (Revised Standard Version)

b : a community of people composed of one or more nationalities and possessing a more or less defined territory and government Canada is a nation with a written constitution— B. K. Sandwell

c : a territorial division containing a body of people of one or more nationalities and usually characterized by relatively large size and independent status a nation of vast size with a small population— Mary K. Hammond

2 archaic : group, aggregation

3 : a tribe or federation of tribes (as of American Indians) the Seminole Nation in Oklahoma

Is "Israeli" a Nationality? - The Israel Democracy Institute

The State of Israel maintains a national population registry in which every resident is classified by both "citizenship" and "nationality." The citizenship of all Israelis is listed as "Israeli." However, under "nationality," they are defined as belonging to different ethnic and religious groups, among them Jewish, Arab, and Druze.

A state is a legal entity that occupies a certain area of land, but a nation is a group of people who identify as with each other on the basis shared values and who see themselves as a political entity.
Sometimes hasbara disappears up its own arsehole...

nation
(Entry 1 of 2)

1a(1) : nationality sense 5a three Slav peoples … forged into a Yugoslavia without really fusing into a Yugoslav nation— Hans Kohn

(2) : a politically organized nationality

(3) : a non-Jewish nationality why do the nations conspire — Psalms 2:1 (Revised Standard Version)

b : a community of people composed of one or more nationalities and possessing a more or less defined territory and government Canada is a nation with a written constitution— B. K. Sandwell

c : a territorial division containing a body of people of one or more nationalities and usually characterized by relatively large size and independent status a nation of vast size with a small population— Mary K. Hammond

2 archaic : group, aggregation

3 : a tribe or federation of tribes (as of American Indians) the Seminole Nation in Oklahoma
I understand how eager you are to try to rationalize your hostility toward Israel, but the fact remains that Israel is a liberal democracy and all Israeli citizens have the same rights under the law.

I am American and the Brexit issue deeply resonates. I hope Jeremy Corbyn has a Merry Christmas . Ok, whom am I kidding? Perhaps his hemorrhoids might bother him a little bit . Happy Christmas!

Judaism is both an ethnicity and a religion. Even your friends agree with that.
My friends? Huh? You're saying odd things.

As an ethnicity, could it get much thinner? It's an ethnicity, because of religious culture more than genetics. Just one parent, and you're Jewish? How does that work out, after 3 or 4 generations?

Also, apparently, I become a part of this ethnic group, by converting to Judaism.
Korea is a Korean State. Japan is a Japanese State,
Can I become an ethnic Japanese, by believing things in an iron aged book? I don't think so.

Stop playing dumb.

Judaism is both an ethnicity and a religion. Even your friends agree with that.
My friends? Huh? You're saying odd things.

As an ethnicity, could it get much thinner? It's an ethnicity, because of religious culture more than genetics. Just one parent, and you're Jewish? How does that work out, after 3 or 4 generations?

Also, apparently, I become a part of this ethnic group, by converting to Judaism.
Korea is a Korean State. Japan is a Japanese State,
Can I become an ethnic Japanese, by believing things in an iron aged book? I don't think so.

Stop playing dumb.

You don't become Jewish by believing in any book and you can be Jewish without believing in any book.

Over the last few centuries, it has been you and your friends most interested in defining the Jewish identity, not Jews themselves.

You don't become Jewish by believing in any book and you can be Jewish without believing in any book.
You, of course, can become jewish by converting to judaism or being born of a Jewish mother. By the way, that gives you special privilege in Israel.

Over the last few centuries, it has been you and your friends most interested in defining the Jewish identity, not Jews themselves.
No idea what you are babbling about. I didnt make the rules stated above. My friends? Use your big boy words.

By the way, that gives you special privilege in Israel.

Such as?
“the right to exercise national self-determination”

..because it is a Jewish state. For you to compare this religious ethnicity to Japanese genetic ethnicity is laughable.

All Israeli citizens have the right to self-determination. A good portion of whom aren't Jewish.

Look, I get it that you hate Jews and the thought of them being able to defend themselves is hurtful to you. But, get another hobby. Israel ain't going anywhere and all your faux outrage won't change that.

And this is one, huge problem with Israel existing as a "Jewish State": criticism of its actions is often drowned out by accusations of anti-semitism, while support of its actions is often confused as "Pro-jewish". Israel should cease to exist as a jewish state and become a secular state.

Why? There are multiple Islamic states. Why can't the Jews gave one?

America wasn't started as a state for any particular ethnicity ... Americans have been multi-ethnic from day one.

multicultural-america.jpg

60420.jpg

An excerpt from the best seller "The History of America as Rewritten and Told by the Jews".

"God Bless America", written by Jewish composer Irving Berlin.

America wasn't started as a state for any particular ethnicity ... Americans have been multi-ethnic from day one.

Can't agree with that! When my ancestors got here around 1640, there was only the one ethnicity ---- "our kind of folks."

Well, except for the Indians. But we were eventually able to deal with that problem.

Although the two terms, nation and state, are often used interchangeably, they have distinct meanings. A state is a legal entity that occupies a certain area of land, but a nation is a group of people who identify as with each other on the basis shared values and who see themselves as a political entity. The Civil War is evidence that while the US has long been a state, it was not always a nation. Today, however, the vast majority of Americans identify as Americans regardless of their origins or ethnicities etc. The same cannot be said of states such as Syria or Iraq.

I can't agree that most Americans identify as Americans! The hatred of young left-wingers, the college students and blacks and Antifa toward America is infamous; we can't overlook open hostility toward the very idea of America. And Mexicans have whole organizations dedicated to taking over much of the Southwest. That revanchist group was prominent in the shocking California riots against the Trump rallies election year. And Muslims immigrants want to force everyone here to convert to Islam and are successfully forcing that in much of Africa. No, I'd say we have less unity than any other time except during the two civil wars. (Revolution and 1861)

However, I very much like your contrast of state and nation and want to remember how you said that; it's the best differential definition I've seen. This USA state is ridiculously, impossibly large and cannot hold together given that its people are disunited. The only states of comparable size that I can think of -- Rome and USSR -- broke up into many pieces as they became much too heterogeneous to hold together. The immigrant invasions that Rome let in ended up sacking Rome several times and breaking up the empire into many small political areas. Something similar is happening here. I assume that a break-up (unlike the USSR) will occur with a civil war, since that's what happened last time -- the Confederacy hoped it could just walk away without a fight; they weren't allowed to do that.

Forum List

Back