Boring summer

Trigg

Oct 26, 2004
midwest
Or at least it is if you ask my children.

Summer rules are in full swing (no TV, video games, game boy or computer until 5:00) and for some reason they can find nothing to do.

It's not hot enough to turn the air on so it's just as nice outside as it is in and yet they still won't get out of the house. Maybe it's the fact that I have a 13 yr old who thinks everything is boring???????

There's a pool, a park and friends within 2 miles of the house.

I've started pulling out the school summer packets the teachers sent home. We also go to the library reading program once a week. HELP HELP HELP

Trigg said:

Summer rules are in full swing (no TV, video games, game boy or computer until 5:00) and for some reason they can find nothing to do.

It's not hot enough to turn the air on so it's just as nice outside as it is in and yet they still won't get out of the house. Maybe it's the fact that I have a 13 yr old who thinks everything is boring???????

I've started pulling out the school summer packets the teachers sent home. We also go to the library reading program once a week. HELP HELP HELP

they can always garden

Gardening is good. If memory hasn't dimmed too much, I seem to remember that my suggestion of cleaning out drawers, closets, basement, and garage, suddenly made the older kids find something more exciting! ;)

manu1959 said:
they can always garden

Didn't plant one this year.

Of course if I suggest work, like cutting the lawn, my son says, "why do you always find work for me when I say I'm bored"??????

He hates my answer which is always "if you don't want me to find work then stop hanging around complaining."

I remember being gone all day during the summer and not coming home until the street lamps came on.

Well I'm off to take them swimming, that should take a couple of hours.

I have a feeling the lawn is going to look very nice tomorrow, teenagers geez.:lalala:

Trigg said:

And it's only the beginning of summer break..:rotflmao:

Hey Manu says gardening..I say, "clean your room" that'll get em OUTSIDE!:rotflmao:

Trigg said:

We didn't do a garden this year, since the dog ate all my pumpkins last year. Figured it wouldn't be worth it.

We're doing a library camp, and an afternoon reading period. Our library is the "noncompetitive" type. Other libraries offer prizes if the kid reads 50 books or something like that, but our library doesn't do competitions where kids could "lose." :(

We have a box turtle, and are creating a habitat for that. Swimming is always good. I'm breaking out the teacher packet week after next, since the library camp is next week. We are going to build a tunnel-like structure out of PVC pipes with holes drilled in them attached to a hose, and do water math. I flash them basic math facts, and if they get it right, they get to run through the sprinkler tunnel. Camping out this weekend. Daily chores always kills some time. The older girls write to their pen pals. Arts & crafts.

Just some ideas. I think your kids are a little older than mine. It's tough, I know. Hang in there! :)

my 8 year old son was bored day two of summer....i made him dig a ditch.....he has not been bored since

mom4 said:
We didn't do a garden this year, since the dog ate all my pumpkins last year. Figured it wouldn't be worth it.

We're doing a library camp, and an afternoon reading period. Our library is the "noncompetitive" type. Other libraries offer prizes if the kid reads 50 books or something like that, but our library doesn't do competitions where kids could "lose." :(

We have a box turtle, and are creating a habitat for that. Swimming is always good. I'm breaking out the teacher packet week after next, since the library camp is next week. We are going to build a tunnel-like structure out of PVC pipes with holes drilled in them attached to a hose, and do water math. I flash them basic math facts, and if they get it right, they get to run through the sprinkler tunnel. Camping out this weekend. Daily chores always kills some time. The older girls write to their pen pals. Arts & crafts.

Just some ideas. I think your kids are a little older than mine. It's tough, I know. Hang in there! :)

Thanks for the tips.

My library has a certain number of books for the week and they get a coupon for the stores around town, free drinks, slushies things like that.

I keep driving by the church waiting for the bible school sign to go up.

They have daily chores, cleaning their rooms, running the vacuum things like that. My 13 yr old is the worst though for the I'm bored rant the others are 10, 8 and just shy of 4. I think it's the age I don't remember him being SOOOOOO very bored last year.

Well anyway the sunscreen is all slathered on so away we go.

manu1959 said:
my 8 year old son was bored day two of summer....i made him dig a ditch.....he has not been bored since

*looking around yard to see if I need any ditches*

I'd say have the older kids start their own lawn mowing or weed pulling business for the neighbors. Or if any of them are good mechanically, advertise to fix the neighborhood kids' bikes, trikes, scooters, etc. Or dog walking, pet care for out-of-town neighbors, babysitting, etc. This way, they learn to not waste time being bored, earn money, and have fun because they choose the work they do.

My siblings and I did this nearly every summer until I was 14, when I started my first REAL job with my step-mom at mcdonalds. The other kids we played with thought we (read: parents) were rich because we often had the latest super soakers, video games, games, or other toy of the month/summer/season. But no, we had earned that money, combined with our allowances, got some cool stuff.

Questions for the mothers here...do any of you guys use teen babysitters during the summer?

I had a teen babysitter from 7 AM-5 PM...all but one of my friends did as well. I guess it was ok. She made me breakfast and lunch. The problem was that she loved soap operas. She would take me for walks everyday and sometimes make me play outside. She also had a terrible fear of my toy guns...

Of course when you have an entire circle of friends with teen sitters, transportation becomes a problem. We were very dependent on our bikes.

Trigg said:
Thanks for the tips.

My library has a certain number of books for the week and they get a coupon for the stores around town, free drinks, slushies things like that.

I keep driving by the church waiting for the bible school sign to go up.

They have daily chores, cleaning their rooms, running the vacuum things like that. My 13 yr old is the worst though for the I'm bored rant the others are 10, 8 and just shy of 4. I think it's the age I don't remember him being SOOOOOO very bored last year.

Well anyway the sunscreen is all slathered on so away we go.

You probably are not looking for advice from a 19 year old college guy who has no intention of having kids anytime soon...but if you don't mind I would like to offer a few tips from my own childhood.

--When I was 13 (year 2000), independence was big. I would spend most of my time away from home at friend's houses. It was also my first summer without baseball. I loved baseball and I needed a replacement, so I picked up golf that summer. I do not know if your 13 year old likes sports...if so, get him in some leagues. On days when I felt like lounging in the house watching tv...I was told to call a friend and get out of the house. Perhaps forcing your teen to call up friends a little more often will help ease his boredom...even if he is feeling lazy and reluctant.

--10 and 8 are tricky. My baby sitter couldn't give a rat's ass if I watched TV...so I did, in heavy doses. I had seen more episodes of Unsolved Mysteries than a child should. I was also big into collecting Legos and spent plenty of hours with that. A good water gun fight with friends never hurt either.

--4. I was in day care...I do not really remember anything about it.

My brother is six years older than me. If I was feeling extra bored, I could always pick a fight with him and get beat up for a few minutes.

1549 said:
--10 and 8 are tricky. My baby sitter couldn't give a rat's ass if I watched TV...so I did, in heavy doses. I had seen more episodes of Unsolved Mysteries than a child should. I was also big into collecting Legos and spent plenty of hours with that. A good water gun fight with friends never hurt either
Legos! Get them Legos, they'll love that.

Note: Don't get MegaBlock brand, but their cheap, they hurt, fall apart, and half the time didn't include all the pieces. I bought or recieved 3 MegaBlocks sets, and all I got was bad memories from it. Always go with the lego brand.

1549 said:
Questions for the mothers here...do any of you guys use teen babysitters during the summer?

I had a teen babysitter from 7 AM-5 PM...all but one of my friends did as well. I guess it was ok. She made me breakfast and lunch. The problem was that she loved soap operas. She would take me for walks everyday and sometimes make me play outside. She also had a terrible fear of my toy guns...

Of course when you have an entire circle of friends with teen sitters, transportation becomes a problem. We were very dependent on our bikes.

Yes I did, and it was great. Her friends would come over and gossip, let me use their make up and do my hair and nails. What 7 yr old girl could ask for more. :laugh:

1549 said:
You probably are not looking for advice from a 19 year old college guy who has no intention of having kids anytime soon...but if you don't mind I would like to offer a few tips from my own childhood.

--When I was 13 (year 2000), independence was big. I would spend most of my time away from home at friend's houses. It was also my first summer without baseball. I loved baseball and I needed a replacement, so I picked up golf that summer. I do not know if your 13 year old likes sports...if so, get him in some leagues. On days when I felt like lounging in the house watching tv...I was told to call a friend and get out of the house. Perhaps forcing your teen to call up friends a little more often will help ease his boredom...even if he is feeling lazy and reluctant.

My brother is six years older than me. If I was feeling extra bored, I could always pick a fight with him and get beat up for a few minutes.

My sister and I were the same way. We were out of the house as soon as possible and only home for food and when it got dark. We live in a pretty rural area, but there are still quite a few kids around within a mile or so. Also a little conveniance store by the lake that is always packed with kids.

Summer leagues are out though since the only sport he likes is wrestling and the only thing they're doing during the summer is weight lifting. It's like pulling teeth to get him to do that. Like I said maybe it's his age that's bringing out all of this complaining.

Today was much better. We got some new books and went swimming again. Since it's after 5:30 he's in his favorite place (the basement playing video games). Oh well.

Forum List

Back