Boredom and Calling In Sick

PoliticalChic

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Oct 6, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
1. "Work Boredom May Cause Employees to Call in Sick

2. Though the stress of an especially hectic work day may make you wish you'd stayed in bed, a new study shows that it's actually a slow day at the office that makes an employee more likely to call in sick.

3. ...participants were 2.5 times more likely to call in sick on days they expected to have a light workload, compared with days when they had a normal workload,...

4. And the risk for was even higher if workers' doldrums had started the day before they called in sick.

5. One reason for the findings may be that employees are less satisfied with their jobs when they're twiddling their thumbs, and so they're less motivated to show up to work when feeling ill."
Work Boredom May Cause Employees to Call in Sick | Employee Health | MyHealthNewsDaily.com

This is a pretty significant study!!

Herein is a light into human nature that, I believe, is one answer to the problems of our education system.

Ask any teacher who has been around a while and they will tell you that curricula have been watered down, and made less demanding by educrats who don't understand that more challenging work is what makes kids work harder.

Our children aren't stupid. As schoolwork becomes a joke, the children take it in that vein.

I can believe that, I hate having to come to work when there really isn't much to do.

Everyone gets bored at such times. If your working environment is healthy and friendly then you can work even if you are ill but if the atmosphere is not at all happy and friendly then a fit person can fall sick.

I'm thinking of calling in sick because I am sick. Chills, aches, stuffy nose, headache.

Should I or shouldn't I..

I've got a 42" Sony and a PS3 to keep me from getting bored. :D
Ping pong table.
Dart board.
Cat.
And if I'm ever in the dog house, a fold out couch and fridge and microwave LOL.

I've got a 42" Sony and a PS3 to keep me from getting bored. :D
Ping pong table.
Dart board.
Cat.
And if I'm ever in the dog house, a fold out couch and fridge and microwave LOL.

So...when you gettin' the slurpee machine?

Great idea! I could fill it with beer.
35 years ago I started out with an office about 10' x 10'.
I've accumulated so much "stuff" since then that it's looking more like a gallery/man-cave/curio shop.

office3.jpg

office1.jpg

office2.jpg

Last edited:
Great idea! I could fill it with beer.
35 years ago I started out with an office about 10' x 10'.
I've accumulated so much "stuff" since then that it's looking more like a gallery/man-cave/curio shop.

office3.jpg

office1.jpg

office2.jpg

You...you....you....
...."1%-er" you!!!

OWS on the way!!

I'm rarely ill and never take an unscheduled day off. I teach high school and do not want to leave my kids with a short notice sub. Tomorrow though, the students show up late so that the faculty can attend training. I just might have car trouble (truck) that only becomes resovled in time to get there just as the training is over, and way before the first student walks in.

Whenever Uncle Ferd gets the blues `cause one o' his g/f's is actin' sassy, Granny just zaps him with her back pain TENS unit...
:eusa_shifty:
Brain training 'helps treat depression'
7 June 2012 - The study asked participants to think of positive images and showed them how their brains responded
A brain training technique which helps people control activity in a specific part of the brain could help treat depression, a study suggests. Cardiff University researchers used MRI scanners to show eight people how their brains reacted to positive imagery. After four sessions of the therapy the participants had seen significant improvements in their depression.

Another eight who were asked to think positively but did not see brain images as they did so showed no change. The researchers said they believed the MRI scans allowed participants to work out, through trial and error, which sort of positive emotional imagery was most effective. The technique - known as neurofeedback - has already had some success in helping people with Parkinson's disease.

Brain activity

But the team acknowledge that further research, involving a larger number of people, is needed to ascertain how effective the therapy is, particularly in the long term. Prof David Linden, who led the study which was published in the PLoS One journal, said it had the potential to become part of the "treatment package" for depression. About a fifth of people will develop depression at some point in their lives and a third of those will not respond to standard treatments.

Prof Linden added: "One of the interesting aspects of this technique is that it gives patients the experience of controlling aspects of their own brain activity. "Many of them were very interested in this new way of engaging with their brains." Chris Ames, from the mental health charity Mind, said: "While these initial results are interesting, the research is clearly at an early stage. "Further research should give a better idea of how beneficial this technique could be as a treatment for depression."

BBC News - Brain training 'helps treat depression'

New Topics

Forum List

Back