Border watch group draws to close

Angelhair

Aug 22, 2009
Minuteman corps dissolves after 5 years; poor leadership, money management cited

The Minuteman Civil Defense Corps is no longer.

The Arizona-based border watch group that burst onto the national scene in 2005 sent an e-mail to its members this week announcing the corporation has dissolved.

The group's president, Carmen Mercer of Tombstone, said she and the board's two other directors voted to end the group's five-year run because they were worried her recent "call to action" would attract the wrong people to the border.

On March 16, Mercer sent an e-mail urging members to come to the border "locked, loaded and ready" and urged people to bring "long arms." She proposed changing the group's rules to allow members to track illegal immigrants and drug smugglers instead of just reporting the activity to the Border Patrol.

You did your best to stand up to the a juggernaut of opposition! Illegal aliens are criminals breaking the law, yet they somehow protrayed you as the wrong-doers. With 10% official probably 20% unofficially unemployed, where is the justification to allow illegal immigration to go unchecked!

Too these brave Americans Patroits, I :salute: you!

Minuteman corps dissolves after 5 years; poor leadership, money management cited

The Minuteman Civil Defense Corps is no longer.

The Arizona-based border watch group that burst onto the national scene in 2005 sent an e-mail to its members this week announcing the corporation has dissolved.

The group's president, Carmen Mercer of Tombstone, said she and the board's two other directors voted to end the group's five-year run because they were worried her recent "call to action" would attract the wrong people to the border.

On March 16, Mercer sent an e-mail urging members to come to the border "locked, loaded and ready" and urged people to bring "long arms." She proposed changing the group's rules to allow members to track illegal immigrants and drug smugglers instead of just reporting the activity to the Border Patrol.

Does anyone think that Carmen Mercer "dissolved" this group to avoid legal responsibility for what might happen next?

Does anyone think these people went away?

I hope they don't go away, they are important!

It looks to me like they have redirected themselves. It doesn't look like they are going away, but then I live in a town that has had an active chapter.

Officially disbanded or not, they will continue to waste their time patrolling the Sonoran/Chihuahuan desert to "defend" America from legions of coyotes, roadrunners, rattlesnakes, mountain lions and gila monsters and occasionally spotting a sorry bunch of mexican dead enders trying to sneak into the US while the bulk of illegal immigrants continue to legally cross the country's borders and overstay their visas right under the noses of willfully ignorant US immigration officers.

José;2137778 said:
Officially disbanded or not, they will continue to waste their time patrolling the Sonoran/Chihuahuan desert to "defend" America from legions of coyotes, roadrunners, rattlesnakes, mountain lions and gila monsters and occasionally spotting a sorry bunch of mexican dead enders trying to sneak into the US while the bulk of illegal immigrants continue to legally cross the country's borders and overstay their visas right under the noses of willfully ignorant US immigration officers.

You have a point.

I'm pretty sure the vast majority of people are not wandering through the desert.

Originally posted by xotoxi
You have a point.

I'm pretty sure the vast majority of people are not wandering through the desert.

"Illegal" Mexicans most often caught red-handed crossing the southern border by trigger-happy right wing militias with too much time on their hands:

coyote.jpg

roadrunner.gif

SGmain.jpg

Last edited:
José;2137778 said:

You have a point.

Actually this is the start of the busiest time of the year as there is some water available right now in most of the desert. In addition, there are a lot of illegals that go home to Mexico in the winter, and work in the USA in the summer. So right now, there are more people wandering around the desert than there was, and more than there will be later. A month ago it was dry and bitter cold at night, in a month it will be blazing hot and dry day and night.

Most mexicans enter the US legally or through tunnels and hidden compartments in trucks. Militias roaming the desert can't do anything about it.

But these facts just can't compete with the dramatic visual impact of a handful of mexicans jumping fences, swimming the Rio Grande and sneaking across the desert so it's only natural the latter has captured the imagination of the american people.

Last edited:
I personally think these guys should be in front of the White House shouting and throwing rotten eggs at politicians for not doing what they get paid to do but... whatever floats their boats.

The only thing they should keep in mind is the fact that a democratic state like America should never value national borders over human life.A country that kills a car thief is a country that places more value in thing than in human lives. Similarly, a country that kills an illegal immigrant for trespassing its borders is equally immoral. The right to owe things and abstract concepts like nationalism and borders should never be placed above the right to life.

The right punishment for car thieves is a given period of time behind bars and the right punishment for illegal immigrants is a return ticket to their homelands.

Anything different is typical of dictatorships, authoritarian states and closed societies.

I say these things because some members of those militias show a frightening willingness to shoot illegals crossing the border. It would be wise for these organisations to distance themselves from these radicals with violent, homicidal tendencies.

Of course I'm referring to mexican civilians looking for work in the US.

Mexican troops invading the US should be greeted with hot lead.

The general rule cited above (open societies like America don't kill people who enter their territory illegaly) OBVIOUSLY do not apply to them.

Forum List

Back