Border Patrol Agent Fatally Shoots Mexican Teen

The agent was in the process of trying to arrest someone. This "teenager" was trying to hit the police officer with a rock. The officer was well within his rights to defend himself.

I'm not the one you need to convince... the Mexican authorities are.

However, I am sure you are aware of the fact that US Agents are only authorized to return like force in such situations and they also have absolutely no authority in Mexico. Whether or not a "rock" thrown constitutes deadly force would be up to the courts to decide. A large rock might be considered deadly force, but if this was a stone then maybe there was excessive force used. Also, which court would have jurisdiction? In this case, it sounds to me like it would be the Mexican courts and trust me... if that is the case, I would not want to be this agent.

I'm not judging the agent. I don't know what happened there. I'm not saying whether or not he was justified in this shooting, but if I were him, I would stay out of Mexico until this has been settled.

Immie

A precedence has already been set for cases like this. In March of '07, an agent shot and killed a 20-year-old Mexican man whose arm was cocked back in Calexico, Calif., where rock attacks have soared in the last year. Two years ago, an agent fatally shot a rock thrower at the San Diego-Tijuana border.

No criminal charges were filed in either case.

Convince the Mexican authorities??? Why???

Gotta love how the MSM reports that he is a straight A student. Umm yea what the fuck does that have to do with anything? The little shit was caught trying to get through the border illegally (again). In the cell phone video some mexican took the mexicans are saying "they are throwing rocks", "they hit him".

I wonder what the Hussein will do, stand his ground and support the US Border Patrol, or throw the officer under the bus.

My guess is, the same thing Bush would do, throw him under the bus.

Poor kid. He was probably just trying to get a life where he could count on eating everyday.

Please, when you see a starving illegal immigrant from Mexico or beyond, show me a picture, will you? And I mean like the starving people you see where they REALLY can't count on a daily meal....

i hope yall arent the wave of the future...what happen to appropiate force....rocks vs guns...or have we adopted another page of ethics...what happen to innocent till proven guility.....or did someone delete that when i wasnt around?

are we willing to kill kids...and these are kids....to do what? are stone tossing kids that much of a threat to national security?

National Security??? Nope.

But a rock hitting you in the head can kill you just as dead as a bullet can.

Jeeze.

i hope yall arent the wave of the future...what happen to appropiate force....rocks vs guns...or have we adopted another page of ethics...what happen to innocent till proven guility.....or did someone delete that when i wasnt around?

are we willing to kill kids...and these are kids....to do what? are stone tossing kids that much of a threat to national security?

National Security??? Nope.

But a rock hitting you in the head can kill you just as dead as a bullet can.

Jeeze.

I have seen a video of the event. Unfortunately, I could not understand the Spanish even after having taken 3.5 years of Spanish in high school--you know "use it or lose it". It is hard to tell exactly what happened.

I have to say that my impressions from the video are that the agent was not in any immediate danger. It appears that there was quite a distance between the teen and the agent and from what I have read some accounts say the boy had not thrown any stones.

Witnesses say killed Mexican teen wasn't throwing rocks at Border Patrol agent - Nursing Link

All I can say is that this is a tragedy. My heart goes out to not only the parents and family of the teen who was killed but also to the agent that has the unfortunate experience of having killed him. I truly doubt there was any malicious intent on the part of the agent.

My prayers go out not only for the family of Sergio Hernandez but for the agent as well.

Immie

I haven't seen on here, what I heard on the news, that apparently the kid was a drug smuggler known as such to the police and border patrol. Not that that fact changes the "rectitude" or not of his killing, but it's another fact to throw in the mix.

Does anyone remember the movie "Battle Of The Bulge" where a young boy took a shot at the German Commander while in a town. The Germans brought the boy to the Commander and his father and the local nuns pleaded for his release.
"He is just a little boy. He didn't know what he was doing." begged the father.

"Spare the boy" said the Commander.

Suddenly all were relieved.

The Commander then added "Shoot the Father!"

Calderone want to protect "migrants" Migrants are protected. Little fuque was not a "immigraint" He was a criminals and if he were to cross into this country, he would do nothing but commit more crimes.

Ciudad Juarez is one of the most violent cities in the world, not just along the US-Mexico border but the entire world. Think about Mogadishu, Baghdad or Kabul and you'll get a better perspective on how violent Cd. Juarez really is.

Within that context, just as in any other major city, people know where to go and where not to go, and what time of day to avoid getting caught in the crossfire, whether it's from gang rivalry or other forms of violence. People who live in these cities know these things; it's all part of their survival.

The kid certainly had to know that the actual border itself is already a dangerous place. If the kid thought it was a good idea to throw rocks at US Border Patrol officers, then you have to wonder where he got that idea from. Blame it on the parents, his friends or whatever, point is that he was the one who decided to pick up a rock, aim it at a uniformed law enforcement officer and throw it. He certainly wouldn't try that shit with any Mexican cops; he would, without a doubt, be shot. This tells me that he did it before and got away with it or that he's seen it done before and figured nothing would happen to him. Either way, it was a stupid thing to do (and in the video, you can hear one of the onlookers say that someone is throwing rocks).

The kid's age may be alarming to some. However, in many other countries, it is not unusual for 15 year-old boys to be members of the local militia or enlisted as soldiers in their military. Ask the Vietnam veterans and now the veterans returning from Iraq and Afghanistan, and they will tell you that 15 year-olds are certainly old enough to kill you. It works in the media to point out the kids age, compare him to our kids in terms of being a straight-A student, perhaps an altar boy in church or equivalent of an Eagle Scout. The reality is that it is not unusual for young teenagers in foreign countries to be recruited for illegal activities because they're daring and too young to understand the consequences. The thrill appeals to them and the adrenaline overtakes any logical thinking.

I'm not saying that the kid deserved to be shot. I'm just pointing out that when he picked up a rock and threw it towards a uniformed law enforcement officer, the kid assumed all the consequences that comes with being an armed combatant. It's not a video game where you can pause and re-play. At that point, the kid becomes an armed man.

As for the Mexican government's reaction, it should be no surprise. I mean, what do we really expect them to do? Nothing? Of course they're going to voice protest, outrage and anger, and they're going to lace it with all sorts of hyperbole. But in the end, that's all it is: just talk. I'm betting that Mexican politicians clearly understand that the kid was flirting around with danger, and if it wasn't the bullet fired by a US CBP officer, it probably would have been a bullet fired by a Mexican cop, Mexican drug smuggler, Mexican coyote (illegal alien smuggler), or just a regular Mexican gang member that would have killed this kid. That's how violent Cd. Juarez is: there are so many different ways this kid would have been killed within his own country.

Blame his parents for that one.

As for the CBP officer, I'm certain there will be an inquiry and I'm certain that the finding will be that use of deadly force was justified. Even so, based on how many law enforcement officers react even when exonerated by a board of inquiry, I would not be surprised if this officer either asked to be reassigned or quit the force. I don't think he's happy that a 15 year-old died.

Yeah, I might have a cold and calloused outlook towards this, but the kid learned a very painful lesson about the Big Leagues, especially in Texas: don't bring rocks to a gunfight.

Very true Toome - and especially about Mexico and their reaction to anything that goes down....Mexico has got to be the most inept country on this planet bar none....crimes in Mexico never get solved; people in Mexico go unprotected.

Ciudad Juarez is one of the most violent cities in the world, not just along the US-Mexico border but the entire world. Think about Mogadishu, Baghdad or Kabul and you'll get a better perspective on how violent Cd. Juarez really is.

Within that context, just as in any other major city, people know where to go and where not to go, and what time of day to avoid getting caught in the crossfire, whether it's from gang rivalry or other forms of violence. People who live in these cities know these things; it's all part of their survival.

The kid certainly had to know that the actual border itself is already a dangerous place. If the kid thought it was a good idea to throw rocks at US Border Patrol officers, then you have to wonder where he got that idea from. Blame it on the parents, his friends or whatever, point is that he was the one who decided to pick up a rock, aim it at a uniformed law enforcement officer and throw it. He certainly wouldn't try that shit with any Mexican cops; he would, without a doubt, be shot. This tells me that he did it before and got away with it or that he's seen it done before and figured nothing would happen to him. Either way, it was a stupid thing to do (and in the video, you can hear one of the onlookers say that someone is throwing rocks).

The kid's age may be alarming to some. However, in many other countries, it is not unusual for 15 year-old boys to be members of the local militia or enlisted as soldiers in their military. Ask the Vietnam veterans and now the veterans returning from Iraq and Afghanistan, and they will tell you that 15 year-olds are certainly old enough to kill you. It works in the media to point out the kids age, compare him to our kids in terms of being a straight-A student, perhaps an altar boy in church or equivalent of an Eagle Scout. The reality is that it is not unusual for young teenagers in foreign countries to be recruited for illegal activities because they're daring and too young to understand the consequences. The thrill appeals to them and the adrenaline overtakes any logical thinking.

I'm not saying that the kid deserved to be shot. I'm just pointing out that when he picked up a rock and threw it towards a uniformed law enforcement officer, the kid assumed all the consequences that comes with being an armed combatant. It's not a video game where you can pause and re-play. At that point, the kid becomes an armed man.

As for the Mexican government's reaction, it should be no surprise. I mean, what do we really expect them to do? Nothing? Of course they're going to voice protest, outrage and anger, and they're going to lace it with all sorts of hyperbole. But in the end, that's all it is: just talk. I'm betting that Mexican politicians clearly understand that the kid was flirting around with danger, and if it wasn't the bullet fired by a US CBP officer, it probably would have been a bullet fired by a Mexican cop, Mexican drug smuggler, Mexican coyote (illegal alien smuggler), or just a regular Mexican gang member that would have killed this kid. That's how violent Cd. Juarez is: there are so many different ways this kid would have been killed within his own country.

As for the CBP officer, I'm certain there will be an inquiry and I'm certain that the finding will be that use of deadly force was justified. Even so, based on how many law enforcement officers react even when exonerated by a board of inquiry, I would not be surprised if this officer either asked to be reassigned or quit the force. I don't think he's happy that a 15 year-old died.

Yeah, I might have a cold and calloused outlook towards this, but the kid learned a very painful lesson about the Big Leagues, especially in Texas: don't bring rocks to a gunfight.

I'm not so sure. I wouldn't be surprised if the border patrol agent was arrested and jailed for using too much force. It's happened before. Hope you're right and I'm wrong.

I'm not so sure. I wouldn't be surprised if the border patrol agent was arrested and jailed for using too much force. It's happened before. Hope you're right and I'm wrong.

In the video that a Mexican station broadcasted, you can clearly hear either one of the bystanders or perhaps the cameraman himself say in Spanish that someone is throwing rocks.

The only legal tripwire that I see is that the kid was on the Mexican side of the border. And this is where the differences between a law enforcement situation and military one may determine the outcome. In the military, if they shoot at you, then you can shoot at them, even if they're on the other side of the border. We've done it before on the Korean DMZ (big firefight between US/ROK forces and North Koreans in 1984 comes to mind). But in a civilian border type situation, I'm not so sure.

Whatever the ruling is, it has to be based on a generic situation that would apply to armed law enforcement officers across the board. And I don't see the International Association of Chiefs of Police, for example, letting the courts get away with a decision that weakens the ability of law enforcement officers to defend themselves.

People can be killed with rocks.

At issue here is that the Border Patrol Agent shot across the border and killed the Mexican teen on Mexican soil. Was the kid throwing rocks at him? Yes. Was he illegally in the US? No.
Analogy: If the Mexican military fired a missile at the U.S. from their side of the border, would the U.S. be justified in responding with a more potent missile?

At issue here is that the Border Patrol Agent shot across the border and killed the Mexican teen on Mexican soil. Was the kid throwing rocks at him? Yes. Was he illegally in the US? No.
Analogy: If the Mexican military fired a missile at the U.S. from their side of the border, would the U.S. be justified in responding with a more potent missile?

Moral of story: Don't bring a rock to a gunfight.

Forum List

Back