Border Boletín: Have 100,000 Latinos left AZ because of SB1070?

Angelhair

Aug 22, 2009
A new report based on U.S. Census data estimates that 100,000 Latinos have left Arizona since the beginning of the year, probably because of SB 1070. But there are reasons to question the number.

Here's the link to the Spanish-language study from the private BBVA Bancomer foundation. (The section about how many Latinos have left Arizona due to SB 1070 begins on page 18.) According to this AFP story, the report was released at the two-day Global Forum on Migration and Development, in the Pacific resort of Puerto Vallarta.

The report estimates that about 100,000 fewer Latinos are living in Arizona since the beginning of the year and says its possible that's due in large part to the the passage and implemenation Arizona's immigration enforcement law, SB 1070. The report says that figure is based on BBVA analysis of figures from the U.S. Census Bureau's Current Population Survey.

I have no reason to doubt how they came up with this number but it's tough for me to put much stock in the report considering its also mentions in this section that 23,380 Mexicans left Arizona for their country of origin, according to Mexican government figures.

Border Boletín: Have 100,000 Latinos left AZ because of SB1070?

A new report based on U.S. Census data estimates that 100,000 Latinos have left Arizona since the beginning of the year, probably because of SB 1070. But there are reasons to question the number.

Here's the link to the Spanish-language study from the private BBVA Bancomer foundation. (The section about how many Latinos have left Arizona due to SB 1070 begins on page 18.) According to this AFP story, the report was released at the two-day Global Forum on Migration and Development, in the Pacific resort of Puerto Vallarta.

The report estimates that about 100,000 fewer Latinos are living in Arizona since the beginning of the year and says its possible that's due in large part to the the passage and implemenation Arizona's immigration enforcement law, SB 1070. The report says that figure is based on BBVA analysis of figures from the U.S. Census Bureau's Current Population Survey.

I have no reason to doubt how they came up with this number but it's tough for me to put much stock in the report considering its also mentions in this section that 23,380 Mexicans left Arizona for their country of origin, according to Mexican government figures.

Well I live here in the Phoenix area and I sure haven't seen it. Every where we go there is still loud Spanish chattering and nasty glares. AZ medicaid and the child care assistance program is still frozen up too. Nope, haven't seen any difference.

Forum List

Back