Boondocks Going On Hiatis

Annie

Diamond Member
Nov 22, 2003
How about Day By Day as a replacement?

http://www.transterrestrial.com/archives/006567.html#006567

A Humble Suggestion

Lileks discusses a major decision at his newspaper:

Everyone was casting votes on new comics to replace Boondocks. It’s going on indefinite hiatus; the strain of drawing three panels of oversized TV sets illustrating sixteen consecutive “Brokeback” jokes has taken its toll, and the creator is stepping away for a while. The options were grim. You have no idea how many lame, derivative and unfunny strips the syndicates have – and those are the ones that got the syndie deals. Made me appreciate “Chickwood Lane” all the more, even though it annoys me for some reason. (It seems basted in its own self-regard. Still read it, though.) The editor had looked at the column I recommended, but said it wasn’t syndicated yet. It goes without saying that the brilliant Achewood comic cannot be featured in a family paper, and Penny Arcade would never bother to recalibrate its language just to be in the paper. I say that without sarcasm, incidentally: “being in the paper” isn’t the high holy calling it once was. Why should it be? There’s something about shooting for the mass market that blandifies comics into tepid farina. “Get Fuzzy” works, as does “Pearls Before Swine,” but they’re rare.

Let's say we start a blog campaign to replace Boondocks with this guy. I can just imagine the fusillade of simultaneously exploding liberal heads all over the nation. It would be hard to avoid bloggy triumphalism if that were to happen.

And of course, today Boondocks, tomorrow...Doonesbury. That would be the apocalypse.
Posted by Rand Simberg at March 03, 2006 06:57 AM

030320064ae.gif

William Joyce said:
Boondocks is pretty raw black nationalism. What if there were a white nationalist cartoon?
I'm not much into 'nationalism' of any sort, ask RWA. With that out of the way, still think day by day is cool:

030506a1dh.jpg

then again, there is always Cox and Forkum:

060302lifeandlimbx7wo.gif

Forum List

Back