Books, Their Covers, and So On...

montyfowler

Feb 19, 2004
Chicago, IL
Watching President Bush's interview with Tim Russert last week was like watching the worst of American Idol. I am one of those people that physically can't watch other people embarrass themselves publicly. For example, going to a karaoke bar is shear torture for me. I imagine the President is equally bad at karaoke.

The interview would have been mostly pretty good if I had just listened to it with the picture turned off. But seeing our president squirm, and frown, and struggle to answer questions was so distracting that the substance of his message was lost on me. So I watched it again and again I had to reach for the Pepto Bismol bottle.

Tuesday night I was watching MSNBC's coverage of the Wisconsin primary and saw John Edwards' almost-victory speech. Yes, he is a Liberal (with a capital "L"), he is a lawyer, and he is a pretty boy. By all accounts I should hate this guy with the intensity of a thousand suns. But...I kind of like him. He is an excellent communicator. He is very handsome and has an honest "I would never lie to you because it might make me frown" face. And most troubling to my party - he actually has something to say. And more than that - he means it. Hey Karl Rove...better circle the wagons.

Am I becoming one of those people that judges a person by their looks rather than their ideas? Perhaps. Let's face it, the world of ideas and the people that espouse them is a dangerous place. George W. Bush is a man of conviction and yet he has seemingly gone mad when it comes to conservative fiscal policy. John Kerry voted to authorize the President to go to war with Iraq, yet now he is a poster-child for the Kucinich peacenic camp.

So for now...I'm going to cheer for John Edwards, at least until his face is horribly disfigured by the realization that he will have to abandon all of his principles in order to grab this particular brass ring.

Why does the president have to be a good orator? Can't he just be a good leader?

As for the claims he lied, well, then so did all the congress and the UN. So they are all equally guilty if anybody is.

Originally posted by montyfowler
Watching President Bush's interview with Tim Russert last week was like watching the worst of American Idol. I am one of those people that physically can't watch other people embarrass themselves publicly. For example, going to a karaoke bar is shear torture for me. I imagine the President is equally bad at karaoke.

The interview would have been mostly pretty good if I had just listened to it with the picture turned off. But seeing our president squirm, and frown, and struggle to answer questions was so distracting that the substance of his message was lost on me. So I watched it again and again I had to reach for the Pepto Bismol bottle.

Tuesday night I was watching MSNBC's coverage of the Wisconsin primary and saw John Edwards' almost-victory speech. Yes, he is a Liberal (with a capital "L"), he is a lawyer, and he is a pretty boy. By all accounts I should hate this guy with the intensity of a thousand suns. But...I kind of like him. He is an excellent communicator. He is very handsome and has an honest "I would never lie to you because it might make me frown" face. And most troubling to my party - he actually has something to say. And more than that - he means it. Hey Karl Rove...better circle the wagons.

Am I becoming one of those people that judges a person by their looks rather than their ideas? Perhaps. Let's face it, the world of ideas and the people that espouse them is a dangerous place. George W. Bush is a man of conviction and yet he has seemingly gone mad when it comes to conservative fiscal policy. John Kerry voted to authorize the President to go to war with Iraq, yet now he is a poster-child for the Kucinich peacenic camp.

So for now...I'm going to cheer for John Edwards, at least until his face is horribly disfigured by the realization that he will have to abandon all of his principles in order to grab this particular brass ring.

Don't come and here and pretend that you're a conservative. I see right through you.

Study up on triangulation. Bush is stealing the dem agenda from underneath them to guarantee that the dems will not get elected and f*** up national security.

I think if Edwards won the nomination, he would go onto being president. Whether you like it or not, appearance does matter in our materialistic western society, so a Edwards-Bush debate would hurt Bush. Just think about how emotionless and boring Dukakis was, or how stiff and robotic Gore was.

But I don't think Rove has anything to worry about as stiff, boring, emotionless, flipflopping, say anthing to get elected John Kerry is going to win the nomination.

OK i've made up my mind monty folwer you are not a conservative. I'm sorry to bust you're bubbel but you are a Dem, mabey a dem with some conservative leanings but a dem none the less. You are being poisoined by the media and don't even realize it. How could you say that bush's intervue was bad. Those were tuff questions and he had to make a point other wise he probally would have lost you on a few issues. Edwards is the devil. His good looks are just a fisade(speeling?, false image). I'm suprised as a so called "conservative" that you would even admit that you think you like him. Christ ona cracker man you need to decide deep down were you fit on the party spectrum because so far as I can tell and I'm not the only one in here, you don't sound, act, or think like a conservative.
Also if you want edwards to win that hudge sucking sound you here is the last little bit of conservatism you had left.

This place is just chock full of mindless ideologues!

Have you ever heard of satire? The whole point of this thread was to explore the question of why so many American's are swayed more by a pretty face than a substantive message.

Edwards and Kerry are both raving Liberal demagogues! They are nothing but stuffed suits spewing canned versions of a tired and threadbare ideology that has produced nothing of value for more than 50 years.

You guys should take up skeet shooting or racquetball to work out your frustrations.

Forum List

Back