Books etc.

Moi

Sep 2, 2003
The ONLY GOOD place
For those of you who read a lot and accumulate lots of books- What do you do with the leftover books? I have boxes of books that I've read and enjoyed but I've decided to let go. Here are some suggestions of what to do with leftover books or magazines:

1. Donate them to your local public school (if appropriate)
2. Donate them to the local nursing home or care facility
3. Start a book swap in your apartment building's laundry facility, train station, bus station, VA hospital etc.
4. Sell them in a used book store (there was the best one in Warrenton, Va but there aren't any near me now).

Let me know your suggestions too!

For some reason, I like to hold on to my books, even if I don't think I'll ever read them again. Not sure why, I just do. I should look for a used bookstore around here or Augusta, though.

Moi,

I would say almost the same - is to keep maybe a few for maybe guests that might stay there! you know, like me! hehehe! but really, maybe a few good ones just to hold that someone might like to borrow. Nursing homes are one of the greatest, most of the women in there just love reading. My Grandmother just loved reading all books, she loved getting them from people too.

I would donate to the Nursing home probably more so than anywhere else, nothing more, knowing that you gave an elderly something to look forward to, even if it is just a book.

I HAVE MY OWN MINI LIBRARY. I KEEP ALL MY BOOKS FOR THE MOST PART, IF A NEPHEW OR NIECE SHOWS SOME INTEREST IN A BOOK,I'LL GIVE IT TO THEM.

Well, I of course keep the books that I can't live without...the aforementioned James Herriott and Jan Karon's and others that I can read over and over. But at one time, I had over 1000 books! Eek. I also get tons of magazines (my attention span has dwindled having a 3 year old around) and it's such a shame not to recycle them for someone else to read and enjoy.

Anyone's welcome to my books at any time!

Forum List

Back