Book burning in a digital age...

Ravi

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2008
Hating Hatters
seems rather silly but it does have a long history of being a tool of oppressors.
Book burning, biblioclasm or libricide is the practice of destroying, often ceremoniously, books or other written material and media. In modern times, other forms of media, such as phonograph records, video tapes, and CDs have also been ceremoniously burned, torched, or shredded. The practice, usually carried out in public, is generally motivated by moral, religious, or political objections to the material.

Some particular cases of book burning are long and traumatically remembered - because the books destroyed were irreplaceable and their loss constituted a severe damage to cultural heritage, and/or because this instance of book burning has become emblematic of a harsh and oppressive regime. Such were the destruction of the Library of Alexandria, the obliteration of the Library of Baghdad, the burning of books and burying of scholars under China's Qin Dynasty, the destruction of Mayan codices by Spanish conquistadors and priests, and in more recent times, Nazi book burnings, the burning of Beatles records after a remark by John Lennon concerning Jesus Christ, and the destruction of the Sarajevo National Library.
Book burning - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Fred Phelps has now joined in...planning to burn both Korans and the American Flag on 9/11.

:eusa_eh:

I would be happy if this "pastor" with the cartoon mustache would disappear from public site forever. He, with his 50 person congregation, are only using this publicity to gain thier fifteen seconds of fame.

Who cares about Captain Kangaroo and his tools?

I would be happy if this "pastor" with the cartoon mustache would disappear from public site forever. He, with his 50 person congregation, are only using this publicity to gain thier fifteen seconds of fame.

Who cares about Captain Kangaroo and his tools?
Yep.

I think it is probably true that if Phelps were the one to do this stunt to begin with there would never have been any publicity about it as everyone knows Phelps is batshit crazy.

If I could find a good illustrated copy of Koran (or for that matter the Christian Bible) I'd publish them.

As a historic artifacts they'd both deserve to be preserved.

seems rather silly but it does have a long history of being a tool of oppressors.
Book burning, biblioclasm or libricide is the practice of destroying, often ceremoniously, books or other written material and media. In modern times, other forms of media, such as phonograph records, video tapes, and CDs have also been ceremoniously burned, torched, or shredded. The practice, usually carried out in public, is generally motivated by moral, religious, or political objections to the material.

Some particular cases of book burning are long and traumatically remembered - because the books destroyed were irreplaceable and their loss constituted a severe damage to cultural heritage, and/or because this instance of book burning has become emblematic of a harsh and oppressive regime. Such were the destruction of the Library of Alexandria, the obliteration of the Library of Baghdad, the burning of books and burying of scholars under China's Qin Dynasty, the destruction of Mayan codices by Spanish conquistadors and priests, and in more recent times, Nazi book burnings, the burning of Beatles records after a remark by John Lennon concerning Jesus Christ, and the destruction of the Sarajevo National Library.
Book burning - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Fred Phelps has now joined in...planning to burn both Korans and the American Flag on 9/11.

:eusa_eh:

In this case it's meant as a protest...not oppression.

I would think it was a bit oppressive if that church busted down your door and forced you to give up your personal copy of the Koran Ravi. But this is not oppression. These idiots have the same right to burn Korans as Imam Rauf has to build his stupid mosque. Stop bitching about one and at the same time defending the other. Both examples are stupid as hell and only breed resentment.

Forum List

Back