Bono Reflects NATO AIR

Annie

Diamond Member
Nov 22, 2003
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tm...9&e=3&u=/nm/20050423/en_nm/odd_canada_bono_dc

Rock Star Bono Raps Canada Prime Minister Over Aid

Sat Apr 23,10:32 AM ET Entertainment - Reuters

OTTAWA (Reuters) - Canadian Prime Minister Paul Martin, fighting to save his government, took a hit from another corner on Saturday -- rock superstar Bono.

Bono said he was disappointed Martin had not kept an earlier promise to boost Canada's foreign aid to a level equivalent to 0.7 percent of gross domestic product.

"I'm bewildered really. I'm disappointed. I've not given up hope. I really can't believe that Paul Martin would want to hold up history, or indeed would hold up history," Bono told CBC radio in an interview broadcast on Saturday.

Bono, a tireless campaigner on behalf of the poor in Africa and other regions, also read out the number of Martin's office and urged Canadians to flood his office with telephone calls.

"We were looking for Canada to lead rather than be a laggard ... what's upsetting about this is it feels like business as usual," added the star.

Bono's annoyance contrasts sharply with his November 2003 address to a conference of the ruling Liberal Party, which elected Martin as leader.

On that occasion Bono lauded Martin's promise to sharply increase foreign aid but said he would be keeping a sharp eye on the politician, warning prophetically: "I'm going to be the biggest pain in his ass."

Martin is currently scrambling to keep his minority government alive amid growing anger over a Liberal Party cash-for-favors scandal.

"This is no time to just turn inward. I know there are problems here at home. But don't lose your focus, Prime Minister, on how history will remember this moment," said Bono.

I like Bono, he means well and he gets things done. No one has played a bigger role in spearheading leading governments in the world to take an active role on debt relief and fighting AIDS. Truly a rock star who knows what he is talking about (often more than the politicians and world leaders he deals with) and will do what he has to do to get it done. No ulterior George Soros style political motive, he doesn't do "politics" in the traditional sense. He makes alliances with political leaders like George Bush and Tony Blair, then expects them to make good on their promises to him and the community of debt relief and effective foreign aid activists. There's a good reason everyone from Jesse Helms to the departed Pope John Paul II worked with him. He means what he says and he says what he means :)

Forum List

Back