Bone Headed Decision By British Museum

Annie

Diamond Member
Nov 22, 2003
Talk about empowering the terrorists :rolleyes:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050925/ap_en_ot/britain_artwork_pulled

Sun Sep 25, 7:56 PM ET

LONDON - The Tate Britain museum has removed a work made up of sacred texts from Christianity, Judaism and Islam torn and mounted on glass to avoid offending religious sensibilities following the July transit bombings in London, the museum said Sunday.
ADVERTISEMENT

The museum said it was particularly concerned that John Latham's piece "God Is Great" could upset Muslims. It pulled the work from an exhibition of Latham's art despite his objection.

"Having sought wide-ranging advice, Tate feels that to exhibit the work in London in the current sensitive climate, post July 7, would not be appropriate," the museum said in a statement.

Three of the four men suspected of carrying out the July 7 attacks, which killed 52 victims and the bombers, were young Pakistani Britons. All were Muslim, and much political debate in Britain has since focused on homegrown Islamic extremism.

"God Is Great" consists of a large sheet of glass and copies of the Quran, the Bible and Judaism's Talmud that have been cut apart, with the pieces mounted on either side of the glass to make it appear that they are embedded in it.

The museum put up a notice in the exhibition explaining the decision, including Latham's objection to it.

Latham, 84, who made his name as a member of London's 1960s artistic avant garde, said the piece, which he made 10 years ago, was not anti-Muslim.

"Tate Britain have shown cowardice over this," he told The Observer newspaper. "I think it's a daft thing to do because, if they want to help the militants, this is the way to do it."

He said he had asked the museum to return the work, which is part of its permanent collection.

He has made waves before with his art. One work involved burning copies of the Encyclopedia Britannica, and another featured Latham chewing up a volume of art criticism.

Hagbard Celine said:
You never know, by removing the artwork, they might have saved themselves from being bombed. Better safe than sorry right?

Then again, if everyone would just convert, they'd be happy?

Hagbard Celine said:
You never know, by removing the artwork, they might have saved themselves from being bombed. Better safe than sorry right?
its a good start to bowing down and letting someone dictate, through violence, what you are and are not going to display

Johnney said:
its a good start to bowing down and letting someone dictate, through violence, what you are and are not going to display

Reminds me of when Giuliani threatened to close down the Brooklyn Museum because a handful of Christians misunderstood a painting of Mary. Until these religions start producing quality art (as they did in the Renaissance for example) they should stick to the business of religion, not art.

Hagbard Celine said:

So are you like, proud to be a gutless invertebrate?

Nuc said:
Reminds me of when Giuliani threatened to close down the Brooklyn Museum because a handful of Christians misunderstood a painting of Mary. Until these religions start producing quality art (as they did in the Renaissance for example) they should stick to the business of religion, not art.

I'm drawing a blanck on the Brooklyn episode, but is that the one with a painting of the Virgin Mary covered in elephant excrement?

theim said:
I'm drawing a blanck on the Brooklyn episode, but is that the one with a painting of the Virgin Mary covered in elephant excrement?

Hardened balls of elephant dung was used as one of the materials, as it frequently is among African artists, regardless of subject matter. I saw the painting. There was nothing offensive about it.

nosarcasm said:
unfortunatly some secularists are insecure, and pc and like
to appease the muslims.

I Just can say that my friends, who you could consider
part of the conservative/centrist German elite fight against
these traitorous assholes.

If they are your friends, I am sure that is true.

New Topics

Forum List

Back