Bond Index?

Pavel Svinchnik

Jan 28, 2018
There are several well-known stock indices; Dow-Jones Industrials, S&P 500, Nasdaq, FTSE 100, etc. There are probably bond indices somewhere but I've never seen one in the crawl at the bottom of the screen on any of the financial news channels or highlighted in the financial newspapers. Are there such indices and, if so, where are they found?

Paul

Barclay's Aggregate

Thanks for the reply. I checked today's (Saturday) Wall Street Journal, Financial Times, and Barron's. They all had various bond indices on their data pages. I'm just curious as to why these aren't more widely publicized. Assuming that a lot of people follow the 60/40 stock/bond allocation method, I would think there would be more interest in how the bond market is doing. The bond market seems much slower moving that the stock markets, so maybe there isn't a lot of interest in daily or hourly tracking. Also, there are different types (industrial/municipal/etc.) and grades of bonds so you'd need different indices for different bond groupings.

Barclay's Aggregate

Thanks for the reply. I checked today's (Saturday) Wall Street Journal, Financial Times, and Barron's. They all had various bond indices on their data pages. I'm just curious as to why these aren't more widely publicized. Assuming that a lot of people follow the 60/40 stock/bond allocation method, I would think there would be more interest in how the bond market is doing. The bond market seems much slower moving that the stock markets, so maybe there isn't a lot of interest in daily or hourly tracking. Also, there are different types (industrial/municipal/etc.) and grades of bonds so you'd need different indices for different bond groupings.

It's because nobody cares about bonds.

Forum List

Back