Bombshell to Rock White House: Obama Adm. Offered Bribe to Candidate in Specter Race

I would have to see what the legal definition of "anything of value" is. Not all quid pro quo is illegal. But giving gifts, money, real estate, trips are illegal.

And I must believe that "giving" a positon in the WH at a pre-determined salary and benefits in return for a "favor" would be considered something of value as well.

Now the question is....did it happen?

A position of power also.... not just the cash.. It's a way bigger deal than many here are acknowledging imo

I agree....but Bodecea wanted to know how something is defined as having value....and no one can argue that a salary has value...whereas power is in the eyes of the one who has such power levied upon them..and not easily defined as having value

That's what we're discussing... Whether this act was a violation of this:

Sounds like it may very well be a violation...

I would have to see what the legal definition of "anything of value" is. Not all quid pro quo is illegal. But giving gifts, money, real estate, trips are illegal.

And I must believe that "giving" a positon in the WH at a pre-determined salary and benefits in return for a "favor" would be considered something of value as well.

It may be...but is it illegal to offer jobs in government to members of your own party? For whatever reason? For example, if you help me get elected...is it illegal for me to offer you Secretary of the Navy?

(btw...SecNav has to be approved by the Senate, doesn't it?)

It may be...but is it illegal to offer jobs in government to members of your own party? For whatever reason? For example, if you help me get elected...is it illegal for me to offer you Secretary of the Navy?

Apples to apples....

Help me get elected is not the same as "help me prevent this guy from NOT getting elected."
IN this case, if it is true....it is as if Obama would have admitted that the people do NOT prefer Specter...but Obama does prefer him....so in return for helping Specter get re-elected, he would give out a seat in the WH...
If he (Specters opponent) believed that Specter was the better call for the people it would be moot...but now, if true, Obama is asking someone to NOT do what he believes is best for the people in retuirn for salary, status and power....

If true, I am sure an attorney can make a compelling case that it was illegal.

That's what we're discussing... Whether this act was a violation of this:

Sounds like it may very well be a violation...

You're missing this part: "to obtain appointive public office"

Again, I'm not caying a crime was committed, but if Sestack is telling the truth then there is a possibility that one may have... Some here are automatically dismissing this...
Not automatically...but I want to be convinced. After all, we are talking a core aspect of high politics....going back to Andy Jackson and the Spoils System.

Apples to apples....

Help me get elected is not the same as "help me prevent this guy from NOT getting elected."
IN this case, if it is true....it is as if Obama would have admitted that the people do NOT prefer Specter...but Obama does prefer him....so in return for helping Specter get re-elected, he would give out a seat in the WH...
If he (Specters opponent) believed that Specter was the better call for the people it would be moot...but now, if true, Obama is asking someone to NOT do what he believes is best for the people in retuirn for salary, status and power....

You're sure? Based on what trial precedents?

Apples to apples....

You're sure? Based on what trial precedents?

Correction accepted.

Reworded:

I am not aware of what precedents, if any, exist that can be used to present a case as this being illegal...but I am quite sure that an attorney would be able to present a valid case worthy of consideration that the law as stated earlier in this post can be applied to this scenario.

If someone is offered a job, don't they usually withdraw from "other jobs"? Just asking.

No one is going to be confirmed for a job they aren't qualified for. Unless it's someone like "Brownie" for FEMA or something.

Last edited by a moderator:
A Retired Navy Admiral being asked to head the Navy. Wow, that does sound like a conspiracy.

If someone is offered a job, don't they usually withdraw from "other jobs"? Just asking.

No one is going to be confirmed for a job they aren't qualified for. Unless it's someone like "Brownie" for FEMA or something.

If an employer hired an individual simply because he did not want that individual to work for someone else.....is that the same as believing that the individual is ideal for the job you are offering?

A Retired Navy Admiral being asked to head the Navy. Wow, that does sound like a conspiracy.

Yeah....you are right....why bring upo the stuff about that same retired Navy Admiral saying that he was told he can have the job ONLY if he withdraws form the senbatorial race.

Afterall, why would that be important?

Jeez.....how can you be so "agreeing" with every move this administration is ACCUSED of.

I mean....whatever happened to..."I support this POTUS but if, in fact, this turns out to be true, it was pretty dam scummy of him."

Thanks, LiarFrank....but maybe I was not clear. So far....everything reported seems to be a claim by ONE guy....is my wolrd that is called a rumor, not news. Where is Faux News? CNN? Maybe I am being too hard on this one?

Thanks, LiarFrank....but maybe I was not clear. So far....everything reported seems to be a claim by ONE guy....is my wolrd that is called a rumor, not news. Where is Faux News? CNN? Maybe I am being too hard on this one?

It would be a rumor if it were reported by any guy OTHER than Sestak...

IOW, hearsay...

I may be wrong...but a rumor would involve a third party. When one of the two parties involved claims something had been done by the other party TO the first party, it is not deemed a rumor..it is deemed an accusation.

Forum List

Back