Bomb wounds 6 UN peacekeepers in south Lebanon

P F Tinmore

Diamond Member
Dec 6, 2009
BEIRUT (AP) — A roadside bomb blew up next to a United Nations convoy carrying French peacekeepers in south Lebanon on Tuesday, wounding at least five of them in the second attack on the U.N. force in two months, the United Nations said.

The bomb went off at the southern entrance of the port city of Sidon as a U.N. convoy with several vehicles was passing by.

The U.N. Security Council called the bombing a "terrorist attack" and condemned it "in the strongest terms." It also condemned all attempts to threaten the security and stability of Lebanon.

Bomb wounds 6 UN peacekeepers in south Lebanon - Yahoo! News

Terrorist attack? It was not a terrorist attack. Foreign troops are legitimate targets.

Syrian war spreading to Lebanon...
:eek:
Hezbollah, Syrian rebels in worst clash in Lebanon
Jun 2,`13 -- Syrian rebels and Hezbollah guerrillas battled Sunday in their worst clashes yet inside Lebanon, a new sign that the civil war in Syria is increasingly destabilizing its fragile neighbor.
Syria's foreign minister, meanwhile, rebuffed an appeal by the U.N. and the Red Cross to let humanitarian aid reach thousands of civilians trapped in the rebel-held town of Qusair, under regime attack for the past three weeks. The Red Cross said many of the wounded were not receiving desperately needed medical care. The latest confrontation between Lebanon's Hezbollah militia and Syrian rebels, who have been fighting on opposite sides inside Syria, came at a time of increasingly incendiary rhetoric between Sunni and Shiite Muslims in the region.

One of the Arab world's most influential Sunni clerics, Yusuf al-Qaradawi, urged the faithful this week to fight alongside Sunni rebels against Shiite Hezbollah and President Bashar Assad's minority Alawite sect, an off-shoot of Shiite Islam. Hezbollah's involvement in the battle over strategic Qusair has also raised tensions with Syrian rebels who have threatened to target the militia's bases in Lebanon, and with Sunnis in Lebanon who support the rebels. Clashes between Sunnis and Alawites erupted Sunday evening in Lebanon's northern city of Tripoli, wounding at least 14 people, according to the state-run National News Agency.

05309137-229f-46fa-99cf-1c4dbd5d85d7-big.jpg

This citizen journalism image provided by Qusair Lens which has been authenticated based on its contents and other AP reporting, shows Fadi Kerkoz mourning next to a body of his brother Shadi Kerkoz, who was killed in a battle against Syrian forces loyal to Syrian President Bashar Assad, in the town of Qusair, near the Lebanon border, Homs province, Syria, Sunday, June 2, 2013. Syrian rebels fought with gunmen from the Hezbollah militia in a deadly clash on Lebanese soil, a security official and local media said Sunday, in the latest sign Syria's civil war is spilling over the country's borders.

Also Sunday, three rockets from Syria struck northeastern Lebanon, a day after 18 rockets and mortar rounds hit Lebanon's eastern Baalbek region, a Hezbollah stronghold. From Saturday night into Sunday, Hezbollah encircled and ambushed Syrian rebels and allied Lebanese fighters whom they suspected of rocketing Baalbek, a Lebanese security official said. A Hezbollah fighter and several rebels were killed in the clashes in a remote area near the Syrian border, said the official, who spoke on condition of anonymity in line with regulations.

The Lebanese TV station Al-Mayadeen, seen as sympathetic to the Syrian regime, quoted Lebanese security officials as saying 17 fighters from Jabhat al-Nusra, a rebel group linked to the global al-Qaida terror network, were killed in the fighting. The report could not be independently confirmed. Hezbollah chief Hassan Nasrallah has linked his militia's fate to the survival of Assad's regime, but pledged in a televised speech last month that he would keep the battle out of Lebanon. Hezbollah is the most dominant faction in Lebanon's patchwork of ethnic and religious groups. A backlash against Hezbollah's involvement in Syria and a creeping destabilization of Lebanon could hurt the group's standing at home.

MORE

BEIRUT (AP) — A roadside bomb blew up next to a United Nations convoy carrying French peacekeepers in south Lebanon on Tuesday, wounding at least five of them in the second attack on the U.N. force in two months, the United Nations said.

The bomb went off at the southern entrance of the port city of Sidon as a U.N. convoy with several vehicles was passing by.

The U.N. Security Council called the bombing a "terrorist attack" and condemned it "in the strongest terms." It also condemned all attempts to threaten the security and stability of Lebanon.

Bomb wounds 6 UN peacekeepers in south Lebanon - Yahoo! News

from Mr Tinsy
Terrorist attack? It was not a terrorist attack. Foreign troops are legitimate targets.

Mr Tinsy-----are you declaring UN peacekeeping troops as
legal targets of terrorism because you wish to describe
them as "FOREIGN TROOPS" ?? Has the government
of Lebanon demanded the expulsion of UN Peace Keeping
agents? I do recall one of the first actions of the very
heavily ARMED Gamal Abdul Nasser did to provoke the
1967 war was the expulsion of UN peace keeping forces.

They did simply leave-----nasser did not resort to murdering
them.

I am interested since it seems to me that lots of people
believe that the UN can INVADE and IMPOSE. My
impression is that it cannot

Tinny, it's so good to see your high regard for international law. I thought for sure that the Lebanese government had agreed to allow the UN peacekeeper forces into the territory?

So now you are cheering for people to go against the government in Lebanon and attack people who are ONLY there to help, and by government's invitation.

What has the Lebanese government done that you think is wrong?

It certainly appears that Tinny is voicing support for an al-Quaeda affiliated group.

And he's made nasty noises about 'Zionist Jews' being less than loyal to the US.

My fellow pots, I think Tinny is the kettle!

It certainly appears that Tinny is voicing support for an al-Quaeda affiliated group.

And he's made nasty noises about 'Zionist Jews' being less than loyal to the US.

My fellow pots, I think Tinny is the kettle!

Mr tinsy ---is a one trick pony-----he is very proud of his one
and only trick-----a claim that a some time in the 1920s ---
the borders of a land mass was determined and the place
called "palestine" as per the name given by the romans
to the savaged Israel/Judea. The fact that this land
mass was defined and so named----means that a group
of people who came to call themselves "palestinians"
in the 1960s OWN IT ----lock, stock, and barrel and
RETROSPECTIVELY ----even though as arabic speaking
people----they cannot pronounce it-----and call it
"BALESTINE"

Kinda like claiming that the little drama "AN AMERICAN