Bogus voter purge letters showing up in Florida

Wehrwolfen

May 22, 2012

By BILL KACZOR
Bogus voter purge letters showing up in Florida | www.kirotv.com
The Associated Press
TALLAHASSEE, Fla. —

Official-looking but bogus letters telling mostly Republican voters that their citizenship is in question are turning up in Florida, where GOP officials have led efforts to purge noncitizens from registration rolls.
The phony letters have been reported in 23 counties so far in an apparent attempt to intimidate voters, Department of State spokesman Chris Cate said Tuesday.
Republican Gov. Rick Scott, who pushed for the purge of noncitizens, said Florida has "zero tolerance" for voter intimidation.
"Anytime anybody's trying to prevent somebody from voting that's a serious issue," Scott said. "We'll get to the bottom of it. We'll turn over any violations of law to law enforcement. I expect law enforcement to prosecute those individuals."
Florida Department of Law Enforcement spokeswoman Gretl Plessinger said the agency was monitoring the situation and opened an investigation late Tuesday.
The letters purport to come from various Florida county supervisors of elections but all were postmarked from Seattle.

I suspect someone thinks they are giving people a taste of their own medicine. Thing is, we do need to purge voter rolls in all states and remove names of deceased, illegal and those who moved to another state.

It leaves too much room for fraud and you can bet where there is opportunity to cheat, people will take advantage of it. If people are casting absentee ballots from dead relatives or if illegals manage to get registered, fraudulent votes will get counted. It's hard to say how many, but for every illegal vote, one legitimate voter gets disenfranchised.

I know some claim it's trampling people's right asking them to show ID or that allowing states to purge rolls will result in mistakes being made. Mistakes will be made regardless, though most are on the part of voters who forget to keep their registration up to date when they move.

No one can even give an estimate of how many fraudulent votes are cast or are likely in the next election. There are an estimated 20 million illegals, many who have licenses issued by some states or fake ones. How would anyone catch them when they vote? I don't think they can as long as things look legit on the surface. In local elections, a few votes can make a huge difference.

I like the billboards reminding people that voter fraud is a serious crime. That doesn't disenfranchise any legal voters. It's good to put the message out there that it is a crime and it would help if we prosecuted those who cheat. I don't want my vote canceled out by some loser who sneaked through the border and wants to vote themselves more money from the tax payers.

How creative.....

I'm guessing the "conservatives" are still the......

GOLD STANDARD

"Democrats have been more vocal in complaining about such antics. They also cite groups linked to the conservative Tea Party movement that are training tens of thousands of people to monitor polling places on November 6 for voter fraud. The controversial plan has been criticized as an attempt to delay or discourage voting.

But Republicans also have been behind some of the complaints..."

....when attempting to manipulate the Election.​

Forum List

Back