Boeing 787 "Dreamliner" Stress Test

news.jpg

Very cool.
I toured the Boeing plant in Seattle a few years ago. Fantastic.
Non-union workers who give a shit about quality.

Very cool.

There just aren't that many union workers in the US for the right wing to worry about. Only about 10% of the entire US workforce. Besides blacks, gays, Hispanics, Muslims, atheists and feminists, Republicans are going to have to find someone else to hate.

Prosperity through lower wages.

What's hilarious is the amount of science that went into these planes. The SAME science that gives us evolution and climate change. Ooh, that's gotta hurt.

This proves that "Triple Helix" of "Universities, Business and Government" that works all over the world, but Republicans think is a lie.

There is no thread so cool, so amazing, that rderp can't come in and shit all over.

Good job, asshat. :clap2:

It's OK to critisize unions, but when someone comes in praising science, they are throwing shit all over. Good job fuckwit.

Very cool.

There just aren't that many union workers in the US for the right wing to worry about. Only about 10% of the entire US workforce. Besides blacks, gays, Hispanics, Muslims, atheists and feminists, Republicans are going to have to find someone else to hate.

What's hilarious is the amount of science that went into these planes. The SAME science that gives us evolution and climate change. Ooh, that's gotta hurt.

This proves that "Triple Helix" of "Universities, Business and Government" that works all over the world, but Republicans think is a lie.

Actually airplane wings are more engineering than science, i.e. the practical application of scientific principles.

Evolution and climate modeling don't have much to do with material engineering.

Very cool.

Actually airplane wings are more engineering than science, i.e. the practical application of scientific principles.

Actually, creating carbon fibers and the process behind using them is ALL science.

There are many usages for carbon fibers. As far as planes go, in some cases, it's easier to construct the body of the aircraft as one large piece and then use lasers to carve out the windows and doors.

Scientists are looking at carbon fibers, which are actually small tubes, to carry electricity. At the nano scale level, the properties change. They are even lining up carbon tubes to make nano scale transistors. They are also looking to use them in solar panels. If solar panels and superconductors could be married, they would create an incredible efficient panel. It's all science.

It takes scientists from Universities, engineers from Business and the support of government to be competitive world wide. It's only Republicans who don't understand the most obvious. They have been blinded by their ideology so profoundly, they refuse to understand how things work best. It's not that they can't learn, they refuse to learn. Two different things entirely.

The "scientific method" is nearly the same whether it's carbon nano tubes, evolution, climate change. The end results are what's amazing. It's what makes "study, data and research" so important. Republicans have a "gut feeling".

Last edited by a moderator:
Cool video.

I don't remember the platform, but I have seen a video of that test run to failure.
Its an amazing thing to watch a wing snap.

Thanks

That would be the 777 wing break test. They took the wing to 154% before it finally snapped.

There was so much tension, it actually caused ripples in the fuselage.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ai2HmvAXcU0]Boeing 777 Wing Test - YouTube[/ame]

The Airbus A380 didn't even reach the 150% point. It failed at 147%.

Airbus A380 test wing breaks just below ultimate load target

The wing of the Airbus A380 static test specimen suffered a structural failure below the ultimate load target during trials in Toulouse earlier this week, but Airbus is confident that it will not need to modify production aircraft.

There is no thread so cool, so amazing, that rderp can't come in and shit all over.

Good job, asshat. :clap2:

It's OK to critisize unions, but when someone comes in praising science, they are throwing shit all over. Good job fuckwit.

My personal experience with union people is they are lazy, not-creative, incapable of exceeding an 8 work day (unless paid of course), whiny, Quality is Job #2, take too many fucking breaks.

What's to like?

Last edited:
Cool video.

I don't remember the platform, but I have seen a video of that test run to failure.
Its an amazing thing to watch a wing snap.

Thanks

That would be the 777 wing break test. They took the wing to 154% before it finally snapped.

There was so much tension, it actually caused ripples in the fuselage.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ai2HmvAXcU0"]Boeing 777 Wing Test - YouTube[/ame]

That was it.
Thanks

Very cool.

Engineering is the way to figure out how to use scientific advancement sonny. You CAN'T separate the two, they both use each other. Also note that most engineers would heavily disagree with you.

Go ahead and disprove Evolution. While your at it disprove Electromagnetism and Gravity.

And relativity.

Try not to open your mouth about things you don't or refuse to understand.

I applaud the engineering and scientific effort that went into the making of this.

Last edited:

Engineering is the way to figure out how to use scientific advancement sonny. You CAN'T separate the two, they both use each other. Also note that most engineers would heavily disagree with you.

Go ahead and disprove Evolution. While your at it disprove Electromagnetism and Gravity.

And relativity.

Try not to open your mouth about things you don't or refuse to understand.

I applaud the engineering and scientific effort that went into the making of this.

Exactly.

The wing of the Airbus A380 static test specimen suffered a structural failure below the ultimate load target during trials in Toulouse earlier this week, but Airbus is confident that it will not need to modify production aircraft.

I wouldn't trust EADS anyway. I was shocked when John McCain, while running for president, tried to outsource part of our Air Force to EADS.

When Republicans pointed out that a Boeing executive was under investigation, they purposely ignored the fact that EADS had 22 executives under investigation.

Worse, when they began to put the 380 together, IT DIDN'T FIT. Airbus lost 2 years of time and 6 billion instantly. Airbus is part of EADS. UPS cancelled billions in contracts. AND, EADS had to pay "late fees". I don't see how a plane, like the 380, which lands sideways in medium winds and sometimes drags it's tail trying to "take off" is safe.

Actually, creating carbon fibers and the process behind using them is ALL science.

There are many usages for carbon fibers. As far as planes go, in some cases, it's easier to construct the body of the aircraft as one large piece and then use lasers to carve out the windows and doors.

Scientists are looking at carbon fibers, which are actually small tubes, to carry electricity. At the nano scale level, the properties change. They are even lining up carbon tubes to make nano scale transistors. They are also looking to use them in solar panels. If solar panels and superconductors could be married, they would create an incredible efficient panel. It's all science.

It takes scientists from Universities, engineers from Business and the support of government to be competitive world wide. It's only Republicans who don't understand the most obvious. They have been blinded by their ideology so profoundly, they refuse to understand how things work best. It's not that they can't learn, they refuse to learn. Two different things entirely.

The "scientific method" is nearly the same whether it's carbon nano tubes, evolution, climate change. The end results are what's amazing. It's what makes "study, data and research" so important. Republicans have a "gut feeling".
Oh we understand the obvious. We understand science too. The one thing that separates Conservatives from loony libs like you is that we also understand reality. When technology is ready and economically feasible, we will embrace it, invest in it, manufacture it and use it.
Nano tubes and super efficient solar panels are not a reasonable alternative yet. Once research proves the viability, I'll invest. Not until. Right now, my business runs just fine on oil.

I wouldn't trust EADS anyway. I was shocked when John McCain, while running for president, tried to outsource part of our Air Force to EADS.

When Republicans pointed out that a Boeing executive was under investigation, they purposely ignored the fact that EADS had 22 executives under investigation.

Worse, when they began to put the 380 together, IT DIDN'T FIT. Airbus lost 2 years of time and 6 billion instantly. Airbus is part of EADS. UPS cancelled billions in contracts. AND, EADS had to pay "late fees". I don't see how a plane, like the 380, which lands sideways in medium winds and sometimes drags it's tail trying to "take off" is safe.

Actually, there are a lot of planes that do crosswind landings in medium winds.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OtnL4KYVtDE]747 Crosswind Landing Hong Kong Kai Tak Airport (1998) - YouTube[/ame]

MD-11
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uaKbRbqzTqI&feature=relmfu]Swissair McDonnell Douglas MD-11 crosswind landing Hong Kong Kai Tak Airport[/ame]

A320
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUgmfZncy-o]TAM A320 - Crosswind Landing at Salvador Intl Airport - Runway 28 - YouTube[/ame]

And the reason they had the assembly problem was because both the French and the Germans wanted to design the plane, so they played politics and split it up between them. Unfortunately, the two teams used different versions of the CAT software, and they ended up with slight measurement differences which added up over time to major problems with the wiring.

Actually, there are a lot of planes that do crosswind landings in medium winds.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OtnL4KYVtDE]747 Crosswind Landing Hong Kong Kai Tak Airport (1998) - YouTube[/ame]

MD-11
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uaKbRbqzTqI&feature=relmfu]Swissair McDonnell Douglas MD-11 crosswind landing Hong Kong Kai Tak Airport[/ame]

A320
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUgmfZncy-o]TAM A320 - Crosswind Landing at Salvador Intl Airport - Runway 28 - YouTube[/ame]

And the reason they had the assembly problem was because both the French and the Germans wanted to design the plane, so they played politics and split it up between them. Unfortunately, the two teams used different versions of the CAT software, and they ended up with slight measurement differences which added up over time to major problems with the wiring.

None as bad as the 380. Plus their end section looks like the 4th of July.

Forum List

Back