Boehner turned down a trip on Air Force One to attend the memorial in Tucson

POLITICO Forums:Congress: Boehner turns down Air Force One ride to Tucson - POLITICO.com

Speaker John Boehner (R-Ohio) turned down an offer by President Barack Obama to travel on Air Force One to Arizona for a memorial service on behalf of the victims of Saturday’s shooting, a decision that has upset some Democrats.

Boehner is instead scheduled to attend a reception on Wednesday night on behalf of Maria Cino, a former top House GOP aide who is seeking the Republican National Committee chairmanship. Boehner is backing Cino’s challenge to current RNC Chairman Michael Steele.

Boehner’s reception for Cino was first reported on Wednesday morning by POLITICO.

Senior Democrats - who to date had been impressed with Boehner’s response to the Arizona tragedy - expressed surprise at what they saw as an unmistakable misstep by the new speaker: appearing at a partisan political event on the same night as the the president, first lady Michelle Obama, Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) and the Arizona congressional delegation come together at the memorial service for the victims of an attack that nearly took the life of a member of the House. Rep. Gabrielle Giffords (D-Ariz.) was critically wounded in Saturday’s attack, while six other people died and a dozen more were wounded.

“It is disrespectful for Speaker Boehner to skip joining the President’s and bipartisan congressional delegation to the Tucson Memorial so he could host a Washington D.C. cocktail party for RNC members,” said a Democratic leadership aide, speaking on the condition of anonymity.
<more>

So what? Harry Reid didn't go either. Why is John Boehner obligated to go? He doesn't represent Arizona and Gabrielle Giffords is not dead. Boehner already said his piece on the House floor and he was well received by everyone in the House on both sides of the aisle. Other than the president and Congressmen who represent parts of Arizona, showing up at this memorial is nothing more than a photo op. This was for the people who died. It's not a political rally.

well said...and-

House Speaker John Boehner is catching a lot of flack for missing last night’s memorial service in Tucson, reportedly declining an Air Force One invitation from President Obama in order to slap backs and clink glasses at an RNC event.

But a look at the timeline of events paints Boehner in a better light.

Yesterday, House members attended a vigil for victims of the Arizona shooting spree in an auditorium underneath the Capitol Visitor’s Center. As they trickled in, a House aide provided reporters, including me, a glimpse of the program of events and list of speakers. There was one small revision to the schedule, though: Minority Whip Steny Hoyer would be reading Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi’s portion of scripture, because she was on her way to Tucson with the President.

If Boehner had accepted the invitation, then the leaders of both parties would have missed the Wednesday vigil.

Presented with this recollection of events, Boehner’s spokesman Michael Steel confirmed, and defended his boss. “Boehner would not have been able to attend the bipartisan prayer service if he’d gone to Tucson,” he said. “Yesterday, Rep. Giffords’ colleagues on both sides of the aisle honored her and mourned those who were lost. The Speaker felt his place was here in the House, with them.”

No, Boehner didn&#8217;t &#8220;snub&#8221; memorial rally Hot Air

POLITICO Forums:Congress: Boehner turns down Air Force One ride to Tucson - POLITICO.com

Speaker John Boehner (R-Ohio) turned down an offer by President Barack Obama to travel on Air Force One to Arizona for a memorial service on behalf of the victims of Saturday’s shooting, a decision that has upset some Democrats.

Boehner is instead scheduled to attend a reception on Wednesday night on behalf of Maria Cino, a former top House GOP aide who is seeking the Republican National Committee chairmanship. Boehner is backing Cino’s challenge to current RNC Chairman Michael Steele.

Boehner’s reception for Cino was first reported on Wednesday morning by POLITICO.

Senior Democrats - who to date had been impressed with Boehner’s response to the Arizona tragedy - expressed surprise at what they saw as an unmistakable misstep by the new speaker: appearing at a partisan political event on the same night as the the president, first lady Michelle Obama, Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) and the Arizona congressional delegation come together at the memorial service for the victims of an attack that nearly took the life of a member of the House. Rep. Gabrielle Giffords (D-Ariz.) was critically wounded in Saturday’s attack, while six other people died and a dozen more were wounded.

“It is disrespectful for Speaker Boehner to skip joining the President’s and bipartisan congressional delegation to the Tucson Memorial so he could host a Washington D.C. cocktail party for RNC members,” said a Democratic leadership aide, speaking on the condition of anonymity.
<more>

hopefully someone else all ready called your lies out

funny how you forgot to mention his prayer memorial and speech on the house floor

amazing the lengths the left will go to in order to profit from this massacre

<more>

Is this the new bipartisanship and civility Obama was calling for? I wonder, would you have whined about him snubbing the House vigil if ha had gone to Arizone?

Boehner Didn't Really Snub Obama, Tucson Memorial | TPMDC

I wonder what this thread would be like if everyone had actually listened to the President's speech last night.

<<<<insert crickets chirping here>>>>
It'll be interesting to see how long your bipartisanship lasts.

I'm not sure Mr. Speaker made the best decision here.

I believe that he did it, in an attempt to seem totally anti-Obama to his base, but what he's done by this decision is show just how partisan and political he is, that he makes every decision based on what HE thinks it will work for him politically to his base.

At such a time of unity....he seems to could have gained politically HAD he attending...interesting.

I hope I'm wrong and he had a very pressing engagement that was set in-stone well before the events of this past weekend took place, that led to this memorial.

:clap2:

Thank you for proving to everyone what I believed about you, that you have not changed a bit, and that you are only jumping on the civility bandwagon in an attempt to make the other side look petty. You failed miserably, something you should be used to.

Yesterday, House members attended a vigil for victims of the Arizona shooting spree in an auditorium underneath the Capitol Visitor's Center. As they trickled in, a House aide provided reporters, including me, a glimpse of the program of events and list of speakers. There was one small revision to the schedule, though: Minority Whip Steny Hoyer would be reading Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi's portion of scripture, because she was on her way to Tucson with the President. If Boehner had accepted the invitation, then the leaders of both parties would have missed the Wednesday vigil.
Presented with this recollection of events, Boehner's spokesman Michael Steel confirmed, and defended his boss. "Boehner would not have been able to attend the bipartisan prayer service if he'd gone to Tucson," he said. "Yesterday, Rep. Giffords' colleagues on both sides of the aisle honored her and mourned those who were lost. The Speaker felt his place was here in the House, with them."

From the link:

But a look at the timeline of events paints Boehner in a better light.

Yesterday, House members attended a vigil for victims of the Arizona shooting spree in an auditorium underneath the Capitol Visitor's Center... There was one small revision to the schedule, though: Minority Whip Steny Hoyer would be reading Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi's portion of scripture, because she was on her way to Tucson with the President.

If Boehner had accepted the invitation, then the leaders of both parties would have missed the Wednesday vigil...

...Boehner's spokesman Michael Steel confirmed, and defended his boss. "Boehner would not have been able to attend the bipartisan prayer service if he'd gone to Tucson," he said. "Yesterday, Rep. Giffords' colleagues on both sides of the aisle honored her and mourned those who were lost. The Speaker felt his place was here in the House, with them."

Boehner's also getting knocked around a bit for what he decided to do while in DC: he attended an organizing event for Maria Cino...
...Steel says he spoke for three minutes and left the event in time to watch Obama's speech on television. And while he plausibly could have made it out to Tucson separately in time for the service, Boehner would most likely have had to charter a military plane, to which he has access as Speaker...

Talking heads noticed his absence, and criticized him after Obama's speech ended, and Democratic aides piled on in anonymous quotes to Politico and the Daily Caller. But the narrative taking hold -- that Boehner rejected a ride on Air Force One in order to attend an RNC event -- is more complicated than the soundbites.
Now shut the fuck up and quit trying to use this tragedy to bludgeon your political opponents, all of you.

Bunch of fucking grade schoolers...

You beat me to it, but I am still glad I posted it. The more these idiots have their noses rubbed in the shit they leave behind the better off we all are. If nothing else, it lets them know we know they are full of it.

Political Junky;3201179&#8220; said:
It is disrespectful for Speaker Boehner to skip joining the President&#8217;s and bipartisan congressional delegation to the Tucson Memorial so he could host a Washington D.C. cocktail party for RNC members,&#8221; said a Democratic leadership aide, speaking on the condition of anonymity.
<more>

Boner needed to be where the booze is being served.:lol::lol: Disrespect? I think not. How about disrespect to US troops refused travel to their families funerals? I don't see these congressmen or media lined up as the dead troops roll in daily from the ME and are unloaded either.

If these congressmen attended every shooting they could, they would be totally respected 24/365, and never get a thing done. I don't pay taxes to have these guys attending funerals.

Last edited:
If these congressmen attended every shooting they could, they would be totally respected 24/365, and never get a thing done. I don't pay taxes to have these guys attending funerals.

That's a good point. Good enough to change my mind in fact. Congress would be much more useful as funeral attending figureheads than doing anything they have done in DC the last 15 or so years.

Boehner turned down a trip on Air Force One to attend the memorial in Tucson.

Boehner, Palin and The Tea Party supporters just don't get it - this mass shooting has the potential to be a "defining moment" in American politics and they're nowhere to be seen!

seriously guys, with the way he cant control his emotions, do you really think funerals is the best place for him to go?

<more>

You disgust me you litte prick. Why ar you politizing this? Wake the fuck up.

CIVIL TONE VIOLATION!!!!!

:eek:
flaminghypocritecopymy6.jpg

Speaker John Boehner (R-Ohio) turned down an offer by President Barack Obama to travel on Air Force One to Arizona for a memorial service on behalf of the victims of Saturday&#8217;s shooting, a decision that has upset some Democrats.

Boehner is instead scheduled to attend a reception on Wednesday night on behalf of Maria Cino, a former top House GOP aide who is seeking the Republican National Committee chairmanship. Boehner is backing Cino&#8217;s challenge to current RNC Chairman Michael Steele.

Boehner&#8217;s reception for Cino was first reported on Wednesday morning by POLITICO.

Senior Democrats - who to date had been impressed with Boehner&#8217;s response to the Arizona tragedy - expressed surprise at what they saw as an unmistakable misstep by the new speaker: appearing at a partisan political event on the same night as the the president, first lady Michelle Obama, Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) and the Arizona congressional delegation come together at the memorial service for the victims of an attack that nearly took the life of a member of the House. Rep. Gabrielle Giffords (D-Ariz.) was critically wounded in Saturday&#8217;s attack, while six other people died and a dozen more were wounded.

&#8220;It is disrespectful for Speaker Boehner to skip joining the President&#8217;s and bipartisan congressional delegation to the Tucson Memorial so he could host a Washington D.C. cocktail party for RNC members,&#8221; said a Democratic leadership aide, speaking on the condition of anonymity.
<more>

Judging by the cheers for Obama and the boos for the AZ governor at the event, both were partisan events. I wouldn't call the get together in Tuscan a memorial service.

And if I hear a Democrat say "Thrive" one more time I'm gonna shoot up the club.

Last edited:
Boehner turned down a trip on Air Force One to attend the memorial in Tucson.

Boehner, Palin and The Tea Party supporters just don't get it - this mass shooting has the potential to be a "defining moment" in American politics and they're nowhere to be seen!

It would be helpful to actually find out the facts before posting.... because now you look dumb.

Forum List

Back